Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

legal Avoid ENOM! - Registrars may want your aged domain, any reason will do - proof inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

buysellfast

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Note: I had moved most of my domains out of enom almost a year ago,
due to a posting here, and thank god for that. Now with few domains
still that haven't moved, ENOM true colors are exposed.
---------------------------------------------------------

Guys, avoid ENOM. I have lost domains before at GODADDY,
who imposed admin fees to unlock domains and usually this has been an
attempt to steal aged domains by the registrars.

Now i only keep my domain with Registrars, where i can walk down to their office.

This is what happened with ENOM recently.

I have about just a few domains left there, one is 12yrs aged.
Moved my 100's elsewhere.

Anyways, I went to log back in, and there was a security questions as before,
but since i haven't logged in a while, i made a mistake on it and my account got locked.

I called ENOM, with my special security PIN which was written down,
and I was yelled at by the customer service, I shall post the tape of my conversations
with them {just at they record, will have to do the same as well, US customer service
is going down the drain, and its not the Indians, But Americans, who are depressed}

I requested, for them to reactive the account, and I said i do recall all my security
questions, THEY said NO.

They said they need a photo ID and I should open up a support Ticket.

I explained that, the account name in there is that of my ex-admin personnel and
I will get hold of the photo ID, but if they could just allow me to renew my now
expiring domain. CUSTOMER SERVICE BLUNTLY SAYS NO!.

Then I requested for them to tell me, how should i proceed to support centre,
trust me guys, if you are in my position, their support centre sucks as well,
seems to be as deliberate attempts to hold on to a domain, domain steals.

Anyways, logged into the support centre and gave them the PHOTO ID,
and now this is what they are saying.
------------------------------------
Hello,

Thank you for writing back. The ID you have provided is in Black and White. Please note that the ID you provide, must in be in COLOR for us to use for verification. Please update this ticket with a COLOR photo ID and we will be glad to assist you further.

Regards,

Yaro
Technical Support
----------------------------------------------

Just so everyone knows.
---------------------------------------------------

This is what i told them.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Yaro.

The account was under my admin staff. Who is no longer with us, I have given you the ID that was on file from our office.
I would have to get hold of her, to get the ID in color. {maybe a few days}

Please note, I can provide any other verification that you may require.
can you please be grateful enough to accept a black and white ID instead?

I just want to ensure that the domain that is approaching expiry, gets renewed.
My only request to you, is advise, if you could do the renewal, so that we don't have the
impression, that the registrar is trying to obtain an expiring aged domain.

please advise.

PS - You may restrict access, if you want, till i get u the photo ID. In the meanwhile,
we have to ensure that the domain gets renewed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Thank you for writing back. We are unable to renew this domain name on your behalf, you must have access to your account to renew your domain name. Once you have provided us with the Color Photo ID, we will be able to assist you in getting you access to the account and to renew your domain. Until then we cannot take any action on this domain.

Regards,

Yaro
Technical Support
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I will like to make this public as much as possible. I am not worried
about the domain, cause they can't hold on to it in anyways, but this is to sound
off, that LOOK AT DIRTY ENOM TRICKS.

AVOID ENOM. MAKE SURE UR PRECIOUS DOMAINS ARE PAID UP AND MOVE THEM TO SAFE HOUSES NOW.
IN my list, avoid, godaddy, enom.

Domain summit 2024

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I cant agree. GoDaddy has been the only registrar that took weeks to move out a domain after I prove who I was.
(Just one time this occured, and it was special circumstances, and had to be a color scan too. Dont like Godaddy anyways)

But eNom has been great for me.

I think you just experienced one of those 'special circumstances' that happen from time to time for some people.

buysellfast

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With the prices on domains rising, you can never tell, who wants them for free, can you.

Registrars are now in the game of taking domains away, and godaddy started the whole process, thats
another story for another day. For ENOM, i just don't get it.

I have my pin.
I recall all my security questions, as earlier, i wasn't paying attention, hence the lock down.
I have given them the ID, black and white though.

THE EMAIL on file is mine.

Why, then...?

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

I have to add, ENOM had been great before today, maybe not now, since i moved the bulk out.

rather than give me confidence, they went the other way.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It boils down to this simply,...

Are you happy with your particular registrar.

For me, I dont like godaddy, I do like enom.

They boyh want to make sure you are actually you.

For me its enom. For you it isnt.

But would you rather they accept your ID as you present it?

How secure the transaction do you want, lame or tight?

(awaiting godaddy fanboys to say I am biased lol)

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the point is that they wouldn't renew the name for him.
I don't think he wanted them to lax security and give him access to the account without the proper info. He just wanted a name in the account renewed before it expired ...while they were getting the info they wanted.

buysellfast

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is there any harm in this? for them, NO.

For me. Yes. They get to add additional fees, or maybe even take the domain away.

For Godaddy, i lost domains there due to a apparently a complain, this is in 2004, then godaddy wanted 50 bucks each for admin purposes, i had
to seriously make choices on the domains back then, salvaged what i could. Godaddy probably then turned around and sold them in their online
platform, what a bunch of big boobs crooks.

Tim Schoon

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Enom STOLE a domain from me in the past.

It had been sold at NJ at some point, then sold by the buyer and sold to me by that buyer.
The first buyer placed a chargeback to NJ, almost 60 days after NJ sold it to the first buyer.

As a result Enom just stole name out of MY account even though I had nothing to do with that NJ transaction.
A week later they auctioned it and sold the name.

Enom - you are scum in my book.

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Many years ago I used Enom and needed to use their support system a few times. I still regard it as some of the worst I have ever encountered.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the point is that they wouldn't renew the name for him.
I don't think he wanted them to lax security and give him access to the account without the proper info. He just wanted a name in the account renewed before it expired ...while they were getting the info they wanted.

Of course. A quick visit to Office Depot to get a color scan (if that was the issue) is cheap and easy. But it sounds like the name was well into redemption. Otherwise it wouldnt have been thrown into auction.

Registrars have been in the game of 'taking' domains for awhile now. That is true. But there is ample time, and even ability to redeem the drop for extra fee before it gets into the wild. They just dont want the vultures getting in before them if it does drop.

I was quite tiffed when I had to provide a scan of my ID as I felt it was over the top, but I did, and I regained access because of it.

freestyler

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i dont use ENOM. I have more than 1000+ names at godaddy and in all these years havent had any issues (hope nothing comes up the moment i write this :)

buysellfast

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Someone at ENOM took a look and fixed it.

Their response to the thread was;

-----------------------------------
Thank you for taking the time to address your concerns on this matter. We apologize for any inconveniences this may be causing to you, but please be aware our request for a color copy of your photo ID is for your security only before removing this information to you.

However, as the email you are submitting this ticket from matches the email address on this account and you have confirmed access to this email address by responding to this ticket. As well as the ID you have provided matches the name on the account I have removed the account validation from your account.

Please be aware that in order to send your login details to you, we would need you to provide a Color Photo ID.

However, if you already have your login details this is not necessary.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
----------------------------------

Case closed. With many thanks....

ninjadomain

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! I bet it's a relief! :)

Someone at ENOM took a look and fixed it.

Their response to the thread was;

-----------------------------------
Thank you for taking the time to address your concerns on this matter. We apologize for any inconveniences this may be causing to you, but please be aware our request for a color copy of your photo ID is for your security only before removing this information to you.

However, as the email you are submitting this ticket from matches the email address on this account and you have confirmed access to this email address by responding to this ticket. As well as the ID you have provided matches the name on the account I have removed the account validation from your account.

Please be aware that in order to send your login details to you, we would need you to provide a Color Photo ID.

However, if you already have your login details this is not necessary.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
----------------------------------

Case closed. With many thanks....

Alan Glennon

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm glad they solved the problem for you. It's a fairly common problem to have less-than-stellar service from registrars. Domain security and management is a relatively hard problem--particularly at scale--and perhaps the best-and-brightest are not working on it (or quickly move on to greater opportunities).

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
now make sure to CHANGE all the info in your account so that you, not anybody else, is the one that is the account holder... then, when this happens next time you screw up your login, you won't have to go scour the countryside for somebody else's ID...

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
eNom is a very shady group. Years ago, I remember how they overcharged me for ICANN fees, yet made it next to impossible to redeem the offsetting "credits" that they issued. I pulled all of my domains out.

These days, they run a company called AcquireThisName which is a front for their domain warehousing activity.

They are a bunch of scumbags!

Glamorama

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks, I remember that episode, I also moved all domains out because they were playing tricks!

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
As much I dislike Enom and the way they use all these trickery to expire domains, this instance just doesn't fit the model... Looks more like they were following their own security rules, and considering the number of domain theft attempts at Registrars, can you really blame them?.. For all they knew, you were trying to hijack the account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators