Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

back door of snapnames ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My snap-back dropped to-day and was pick up by snapnames (one of their partner). They have not send me any mail, but the
whois showed that it was regietered by someone else to-day!
Anybody have this problem before? Do they have a back door?

mem

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Many great domains have been obtained for people with SN - it's their main service. If the domain you wanted was taken - it was picked up by another drop service.

There are over 10 services that compete with SN - and more than a few players - SN can not pick up all the names we want.

If you can - post the name and I bet it's another drop service that got it.

memory

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hosting 3, I am sure.
pot comster, how much you want to bet?
It was picked up by their partner "NamesBeyond",
I sent snapnames an e-mail , and they have not responsed yet!

so, what do you guy think?

mem

D

domaingator

Originally posted by memory
My snap-back dropped to-day and was pick up by snapnames (one of their partner). They have not send me any mail, but the
whois showed that it was regietered by someone else to-day!
Anybody have this problem before? Do they have a back door?

mem

This is my theory as to what happened to you. My guess is that you are new to this game and do not know exactly when names are released by the registrars.

You placed the SN Back after SN actually got the name for someone else. This other person placed the SN back at the proper time in preparation for the catch. In other words, you were a day late--you placed your Snapback after the name had been released and then registered by Snapnames but not before the Who Is had been updated. Again, in other words the SN slot was open because the SN back order had already been filled.

Thus, there is no back door, no foul play on Snapnames's part.

tonyk2000

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with domaingator. Most of my successful snaps are snapped again AFTER I got the name and BEFORE global whois update.
Another possible explanation: snapnames registrars are not obliged to sell 100% of their registry connections exclusively to snapnames. They may sell it to other players as well... So namesbeyond might register this domain not for snapnames (not inside the pool of connections used by snapnames)

davidthornton

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by tonyk2000
Another possible explanation: snapnames registrars are not obliged to sell 100% of their registry connections exclusively to snapnames.

I have always been under the impression that one of Snapnames' conditions when you become a partner is that you do have to deal with them exclusively.

memory

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just got an e-mail from snapnames:
"NamesBeyond is one of our partners, but in this case one of their re-sellers obtained the name. "
so, what do you guys think about snapname now!?
their re-seller from the back door?

mem

yesonline

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by memory
Just got an e-mail from snapnames:
"NamesBeyond is one of our partners, but in this case one of their re-sellers obtained the name. "
so, what do you guys think about snapname now!?
their re-seller from the back door?

mem

Possibly, one of their reseller used his own script to grab the name.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Snapnames' partners are partners - not exclusive partners

In other words, they also have their own customers - they only dedicate a portion of their resources to SnapNames.

Nothing strange there!

Sheva

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi, I think something is missing here....

I think that the partner of snapnames during the DROP time they give all the resource to snapnames but for sure after that time everyone can register a name trough the partners of snapnames but not trough snapnames, so the important thing is to know at what time the name has been registered, am saiyng this because there are many names that are released not during the drop time.

Just my opinion.

Mike

memory

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MikeMike
Hi, I think something is missing here....

I think that the partner of snapnames during the DROP time they give all the resource to snapnames but for sure after that time everyone can register a name trough the partners of snapnames but not trough snapnames, so the important thing is to know at what time the name has been registered, am saiyng this because there are many names that are released not during the drop time.

Just my opinion.

Mike

FYI. It was dropped 01:58 in the afternoon by nsi.
Is this a drop time?

mem

Kjel

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mem,

Sorry this happened to you -- it is extremely rare, but unfortunately, not unknown.

Registrars are given certain connections (the oft mentioned "Pool 3") to the registry that can be used for acquiring deleting domains. However, using these connections does not affect the ability of a registrar (or its resellers) to register domains manually using the standard connections. Because of this, a reseller or end-user may be able to manually register a dropping domain through a registrar that SnapNames is partnered with for that same purpose. It almost never occurs but is theoretically possible, as was shown in this instance. Please accept my apologies.

Also, once a name is registered SnapNames blocks the back-order position on that name until the whois record updates to reflect the new owner. It will appear that the name was immediately back-ordered after acquisition, but in fact its just being made unavailable as a mechanism for avoiding the situation that domaingator and tonyk2000 describe.

Kjel Holmberg

davidthornton

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kjel
Mem,

Sorry this happened to you -- it is extremely rare, but unfortunately, not unknown.

Registrars are given certain connections (the oft mentioned "Pool 3") to the registry that can be used for acquiring deleting domains. However, using these connections does not affect the ability of a registrar (or its resellers) to register domains manually using the standard connections. Because of this, a reseller or end-user may be able to manually register a dropping domain through a registrar that SnapNames is partnered with for that same purpose. It almost never occurs but is theoretically possible, as was shown in this instance. Please accept my apologies.

Also, once a name is registered SnapNames blocks the back-order position on that name until the whois record updates to reflect the new owner. It will appear that the name was immediately back-ordered after acquisition, but in fact its just being made unavailable as a mechanism for avoiding the situation that domaingator and tonyk2000 describe.

Kjel Holmberg

Interesting.

Out of pure interest, if an ICANN accredited registrar wishes to become a Snapnames partner (i.e. a chaser at drop time, using their pool 3 connections), is it a requirement of Snapnames that the registrar exclusively deals with Snapnames and offers over 100% of their pool 3 connections to the partnership too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom