Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

back door of snapnames ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kjel
Mem,

Sorry this happened to you -- it is extremely rare, but unfortunately, not unknown.

Registrars are given certain connections (the oft mentioned "Pool 3") to the registry that can be used for acquiring deleting domains. However, using these connections does not affect the ability of a registrar (or its resellers) to register domains manually using the standard connections. Because of this, a reseller or end-user may be able to manually register a dropping domain through a registrar that SnapNames is partnered with for that same purpose. It almost never occurs but is theoretically possible, as was shown in this instance. Please accept my apologies.

Also, once a name is registered SnapNames blocks the back-order position on that name until the whois record updates to reflect the new owner. It will appear that the name was immediately back-ordered after acquisition, but in fact its just being made unavailable as a mechanism for avoiding the situation that domaingator and tonyk2000 describe.

Kjel Holmberg

Hi Kjel

Very interesting!
Would someone try to register a name at the drop time through a registrar that snapnames is partnered with? Yes, I guess. (Theoretically possible)
To-morrow, I will try to register a name through Dotster, if I were out-bid by namewinner.

Thanks for your theoretical reply. Hope to have a better luck to-morrow!

mem

Domain summit 2024

mohno

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by memory
... , but the whois showed that it was regietered by someone else to-day! ...

WebConsulting ?

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have used Snapnames a lot and unfortunately this same situation (as mem described) happened to me one time before back in June.

I remember checking the whois of the domain name the day after the drop, seeing the new registrar being NameScout (one of Snap's partners) and getting excited about the new domain name. Then I saw that the admin contact was not me (I think it was BuyDomains but I am not sure) and getting pissed!

Basically I was told the same thing about their registrar partners not being exclusive. I got over it a few days later, snapped a few more names and was happy again. Life on the internet!

Now that Snap has partnered with companies like 1dni, TotalRegistrations, Namesystem and BulkRegister, it has become very obvious that Snap is not requiring exclusivity and that their partner registrars are letting many, many greasy fingers in the cookie jar!

I like Snap - it is just too bad that they may soon be going over to the Darkside (Verisign).

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just wanted to report that apparently there was a snafu at Namescout and Kjel from Snap was able to transfer the domain name into my Snap account. Many thanks to Kjel for getting this resolved! You dah man!

davidthornton

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Momentum
Hi guys,

I just wanted to report that apparently there was a snafu at Namescout and Kjel from Snap was able to transfer the domain name into my Snap account. Many thanks to Kjel for getting this resolved! You dah man!

I bet the other, brief, registrant of the name wasn't too pleased. ;)

Anyway, what IS the domain name in question anyway?

memory

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Hi momentum

I am wondering who will be the guy from NamesBeyond?

Does any body know?

mem

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi David,

Actually the domain name was basically in domain name limbo. Everytime I did a whois check it returned back with Namescout as the registrar but "no information available."

Memory, sorry but I don't know who your guy is at NamesBeyond.

davidthornton

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by davidthornton

I bet the other, brief, registrant of the name wasn't too pleased. ;)

Anyway, what IS the domain name in question anyway?

and the domain name was...? ;)

memory

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi David,

Actually the domain name was basically in domain name limbo. Everytime I did a whois check it returned back with Namescout as the registrar but "no information available."

Memory, sorry but I don't know who your guy is at NamesBeyond.

Hi monentum,
Did you get an e-mail from snapnames that you’ve got that limbo name?

I had a same situation happened to me last month with namescout. I got an e-mail confirmation from snap that I got a name. I was so happy that I did not check the whois. Few days later, I cannot find the name in my namescout account, and the whois showed “ no information available” I was lucky to keep the confirmation letter!
They then put a snap on the same name, send me an invoice (no charge to my card), go thru the same process, and I got the name in my account about three days later!
I guess (theoretically possible) that my data was lost by either snapnames or namescout!

We got our names back because the owner of the domain was still not clear at the time.

Unfortunately, this time I don’t think I will get it back since the new owner has been decided! But, as you said: “snap a few more names, and get it over with in a few days”.

mem

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi memory,

What you describe is exactly what happened. The domain name was lost somewhere in Namescout limbo land and luckily Kjel from Snap was able to get everything sorted out the very next day. Thanks for bringing attention to this topic.

David, I would rather not post the name until the dust settles but trust me it is no million dollar name, although it does have a few hundred incoming links and it is in a category of interest to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators