Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Being spammed by forum members

Status
Not open for further replies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess this is the new thing now since there are many spamming complaints.

But - my complaint is against forum members spamming me.

Yes, in the past I signe dup for some people's forums to help them out (and get some DNF) but I always turned off all email options (no, the admins can't email me, the forum can't email me, etc..) When I selected these options it way my way of telling the forums' admins that I didn't want them to contact me.

But, I get sales offers (related to the forums), spam about new posts, new features, etc. Yes, I know people can spoof email addresses but these all tell me to go to their sites (or sites owned by the same person) so I have to assume it is the forum's admin / owners spamming me.

Also, I'm getting spammed with domain sales solicitations. While they do hide behind free email services, it isn't hard to find out they are members here. Plus, your sales solicitations are proof you don't even pay attention to what I am interested in despite your claims.

For example, just because I own the domain redbloodcells.com doesn't mean I'm interested in every frikken domain related to red (redness, reddish, redhouses, redcars, etc..). Clearly you saw the word RED and didn't even pay attention to the rest of the domain.

Well, I'm going to let you know why I use my gmail as my WhoIs contact - they have a great spam filter and spam list. All of you are now flagged as spam.

If I am interested in buying domains, I'll either contact the owner (if it is a specific one) or post it in the wanted section. Look there. If you see a post in there from me and have a domain that matches what I'm looking for, feel free to send me a PM, if I'm not asking for domains like the one you have, then don't spam me.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Ed, just curious what this all amounts to e.g. how many emails per week?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Including what my spam filter picks up - dozens a day but most are typical "We can get your site to the top of Google!" and "We can get you your premium domain for $500!" type of spam emails that we all get.

But, over the past few weeks there's been an increase in ones getting though and form forum members.

I don't have a count at this time, I usually flag them as spam when I see them.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I get a handful per day but mainly stuff I've already opted in and want. Though I get a few "We can get your site to the top of Google!" type emails.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I get a handful per day but mainly stuff I've already opted in and want. Though I get a few "We can get your site to the top of Google!" type emails.

I get a few daily on things I opted in and I won't complain about those since I did opt in with their communications. Plus, most sites when I opt out the emails stop pretty quickly (usually instant - mostly within a day).

(BTW - I don't believe this "it can take us 6-8 weeks to get you out of our contact list" BS, it takes a few minutes, they're just covering their rear so they can continue to spam you).

Too bad it's not like the US code in regards to unsolicited phone calls (telemarketers) - you only need to tell them once and it should stop instantly, if they don't it's considered harassment, don't believe the "months or weeks" BS they'll shoot at you.

Can we create something to list these spammers so they know we are on to them?

I don't want to post who it is for personal reasons since it's not something they did on the forum (while it is against the rules to PM spam here, we can't prevent people from email spamming).

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't want to post who it is for personal reasons since it's not something they did on the forum (while it is against the rules to PM spam here, we can't prevent people from email spamming).
I just want a Name and Shame wall for all the deadbeat buyers, sellers, and spammers.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just want a Name and Shame wall for all the deadbeat buyers, sellers, and spammers.

The sad thing is that there can be serious legal repurcussions if that is done. I'm sure most people would agree with me when I say I'd hate to see DNF fall into the hands of a deadbeat buyer, seller, or spammer. :)

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been getting quite a few e-mails lately. Offer to rank my parked page on first page. I don't know how they plan on doing that.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been getting quite a few e-mails lately. Offer to rank my parked page on first page. I don't know how they plan on doing that.

That's easy - they never tell you what keyword or keyword combination they'll rank you with. You can get almost any site in the top 10 with the right keyword combination. ;)

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally i think some if not all including this one are selling the their email lists because i am getting loads of spam email from other domainers and domain companies.....

T

tekz999

I get emails that said I have won millions of lotteries worldwide every hour or so.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I really do not think it is much of an issue...I may get a few spams here and there trying to sell domains. I just delete them - especially if there are no good names :)

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I really do not think it is much of an issue...I may get a few spams here and there trying to sell domains. I just delete them - especially if there are no good names :)

It used to be a few here and there, now it can be as many as 20 per day, many from the same sender.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It used to be a few here and there, now it can be as many as 20 per day, many from the same sender.
Gotcha...that has not happened to me. That is terrible. Can you out the sender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators