Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

moniker Best Place To Discuss Alternatives To Moniker?

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.

ProductArchitect

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been a member of DNForum for a long time but don't visit much. So, I wanted to check with others.

Is there already a good resource that shows pros/cons of other registrars?

Or, should I post a new thread one level 'above' this to get recent thoughts?

Or just discuss here?

While there were many flaws in the old Moniker interface, at least I could select several domains, add to cart, and renew all at once via PayPal thus no credit card on file. I'm sure others have their own particular favorite feature that's now gone.

Scott

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are lots of threads you could find via search that have discussions about alternative registrars. Particularly in some of the old threads about Moniker the last time they imploded. Some folks are like abused spouses when it comes to sticking with Moniker. I don't get it - I moved everything out of there a long time ago.

I know people always hate the big player in the game, but GoDaddy really seems to have the best pricing (with coupons or domain discount club) and an active sales platform. I also like Dynadot, but for selling domains, my best combo is registered at GD and parked at Sedo. You can select multiple domains for renewal at both DD and GD.

It really depends on what your specific needs are. If you really need privacy, have only a few names or need other specific functions, maybe these two aren't for you either.

If someone really has some time on there hands, a nice chart with features of each registrar would be a great tool for people. Maybe someone already has made one?

ProductArchitect

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the note. Yes, would be great if someone knows about an existing chart, even if old.

For context: I have about 500 domains, and don't need privacy. (I did take advantage of Moniker's low-cost escrow, but I guess I could live without it.) Ages ago I was at BulkRegister, but the enom takeover was another fiasco so I switched to Moniker.

Scott

Tikkun

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I didn't think Moniker's last interface could get much worse, since it was so non-standard in design. But I was wrong. The new interface uses more design standards, but the thing doesn't even have basic functions like manual renewals or the ability to see domains that expired a day ago so you can renew those. It is literally the worst thing ever. Worst than NetSol. Combined with the Moniker's famously slow customer service, it's an abomination.

Even though I still have around 500 names in there, I've never actually registered a name with Moniker. The only reason I use them is because I use Snapnames, and that's where many names go. Compared to many of the alternatives that catch for Snapnames, Moniker itself was actually preferable.

My favorite registrar the past few years was Enom, until recently. They're literally a couple blocks up the street from me in Kirkland, and sometimes it's nice doing business with people you can hold accountable in person. However, that said, they seem to have let most of their smarter people go the past few months after they were purchased by Demand Media.

Now Enom can't seem to get anything right. They won't send domain verification emails many times. (and the email admins from Rackspace say it's definitely on Enom's end) Their previously good email forwarding often just doesn't work now.

I lost tons of good .guru names because Enom's system system would pretend to registrar them (and I had to dump in thousands of non refundable dollars into my account before even tring to buy them), but they wouldn't actually go through. So many damn things are just left broken. Worse, the now fake tech people (they used to have quite a few brilliant ones) act like anything I dare mention to them is MY fault, like I'm some big born yesterday dummy, when their system being broken is clearly broken due to their own incompetence. The worst part of Enom going down the pooper is that I'm finding is that there's no easy way to transfer somewhere else in bulk. It's tedious to unlock domains and request auth codes, especially in any kind of bulk. Ugh.

Inforg, I'm shocked to see that you'd talk about abusive relationships and don't lump GoDaddy into those. Ha! $20 fees for having the perfectly valid whois info (I swear they may an employee fake complaints just to rack up more fees). Placing 60 day transfer locks on your domains for any little reason they can think of (like applying a new "domain profile"). There's tons of ways for nefarious souls to DDOS you with GoDaddy, and GoDaddy will charge you for the privilege -- something I've honestly never had a problem with with any other registrar. Recently they stole a bunch of my best .guru registrations I put through at $39. Claimed they didn't go through, but this was only when the name was great and it would benefit them. Corrupt people. Bad. I hope them treat you better than they do me, but I don't like their little games in general and I could probably sue them for what they did this year.

NameSilo is the registrar I've been carefully evaluating the past few months. I initially tried them when Enom started acting wonky, not expecting them to be any good... but man, they're great. That said, I don't expect them to STAY good forever -- all companies seem to go through bad periods.

For however long it lasts, right now... NameSilo has a very plain looking but VERY functional interface for mass domaining. Free privacy (but not as good as NameCheap if you want to generate new records daily to mess up DomainTools a bit). The support is INSANELY fast, and open to many good ideas. I've asked for features that they then went to implement within a week, much to my surprise. One of the cheapest registrars out there, which why I avoided them for years, but I didn't understand that they were trying to be disruptive. I'm guessing that sometime down the line they'll have to rate jack a bit to keep their service level up.

This is the company, right now, that seems to be trying hard to make a quality, low nonsense product. Eventually they may get lazy, sure, but this is a golden time for NameSilo, I'd say.

A huge benefit to NameSilo, too, is that you can export all your names with auth code via CSV, so if you need to make mass exodus outta there, you can. I'm having a hell of a time with all the steps I need to take to unlock and obtain auth codes for Enom, now that I don't trust them anymore. Of course this is now an issue with Moniker, too. At least with Moniker's weird old interface you could do mass auth code requests with a simultaneous unlock. Sure, they wouldn't always actually do the unlock.. but at least you could get 80% - 95% of our domains out with relative ease. And the remaining 5 to 20% would eventually get unlocked after months of sending them tickets. Now, sadly, it's even worse than that.

Tikkun

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the note. Yes, would be great if someone knows about an existing chart, even if old.

For context: I have about 500 domains, and don't need privacy. (I did take advantage of Moniker's low-cost escrow, but I guess I could live without it.) Ages ago I was at BulkRegister, but the enom takeover was another fiasco so I switched to Moniker.

Scott

Yeah, a chart would be very cool.

Some things don't fit so neatly on a chart, though. For instance, the difference between privacy at NameCheap vs. NameSilo. NameSilo does have free privacy, and it's just fine for a lot of my domains, but I really prefer the way it's done at NameCheap (and will pay extra for it at NC when I really need it to work a certain way). You'd need a chart with great footnotes and maybe screen captures to really show some of these finer points.

Anyway, if someone draws up a comparison... please be sure to include whether you can quickly do mass auth code requests and unlocks. Over the years, I've found this to be one of the most important features, so you can jump ship quickly when things go bad. Moniker sorta kinda had this, which inspired a degree of trust in me. Now that it doesn't, I have no trust left them for them at all. Especially now that they've changed whois info on hundreds of my domains to their CEO, and maybe 10 of my names have simply disappeared.

jrzeygirl

Best Customer Support
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey ProductArchitect

Hit me up about eNom

I've been a member of DNForum for a long time but don't visit much. So, I wanted to check with others.

Is there already a good resource that shows pros/cons of other registrars?

Or, should I post a new thread one level 'above' this to get recent thoughts?

Or just discuss here?

While there were many flaws in the old Moniker interface, at least I could select several domains, add to cart, and renew all at once via PayPal thus no credit card on file. I'm sure others have their own particular favorite feature that's now gone.

Scott

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Enom or GD are solid choices...there are people with low priced Enom reseller accounts that can make you sub accounts with minimal mark-up on the registration/renewal costs.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Enom or GD are solid choices...there are people with low priced Enom reseller accounts that can make you sub accounts with minimal mark-up on the registration/renewal costs.
why go with a reseller? when they disappear you're screwed.

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dynadot, Dotster, Name but Name is now the same parent company as Enom

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
>Dotster

Stay far away from Dotster these days...when they updated their database a couple of years back I went thru the nightmare that has now hit Moniker. They handled everything very poorly and people lost domains in the process. At this time I would only recommend Name.com and uniregistry.com. I have great pricing at Name.com and may be able to help you get the same if you have volume.

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
agree that doster/mydomain is no longer that good. name may give you good pricing in bulk but they've had security isues, some have been posted on dnf.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Name.com has been secure since I moved most of my names in, the only breach so far was the May 2013 hacking incident which was resolved pretty quickly. As far as customer service they are excellent, just very busy at times. With Moniker (just like Dotster a couple of years back) at the first sign of trouble and management ineptness, I would shoot first and ask questions later (leave as fast as possible).

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Uniregistry is now the most praised by domain pros and I guess Fabulous still is too. But you have decent choices like Dynadot if you're trying to avoid GD and also have a problem with eNom, Dotster or any of the larger ones (I've used Name and now it belongs to Rightside which also owns eNom, and Namecheap too, --which is OK for avg domains-- it is an eNom reseller and relies on eNom a lot but it's cheaper than eNom)

And I'm still trying to figure out what's so great about Namesilo lol, no one knew of them up until recently and now they're always mentioned. Stay away from EuroDNS and 1and1 no matter what they tell you, you will regret it. And there are newer ones like Namebright which had a thread on DNF introducing themselves when they started out but I haven't heard much about them since. If you've had it with Moniker, GD, etc trying one of the newer guys may just be worth it, and any of those is better than Moniker these days

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators