Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Bought auctioned name, discovered Service Mark afterwards (ugh)

domain_investor

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just paid a good amount for a domain at Godaddy Auctions. I always checked for trademarks first, but this time I screwed up and did not. Afterward, I discovered that there is a "Service Mark" on the name (owned by a company in China). I haven't paid for the name yet, but I know I have to or I'll get my account frozen.

Considering that an owner of this domain name could begin a website that does something totally different than what the Service Mark describes, could they still legally get me to hand over the name?

Note: the mark is shown in the USPTO documents in a stylized manner, and not sure if this means they are just trademarking the style or the actual words. ???

Thanks!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Considering that an owner of this domain name could begin a website that does something totally different than what the Service Mark describes

usage, would be part of the argument
so, if usage was different, then it might not be infringement

not a lawyer, but that's part of many rulings
imo..

Enerika

I'M ALL EARS... "FINALLY (thanks)!"
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just paid a good amount for a domain at Godaddy Auctions. I always checked for trademarks first, but this time I screwed up and did not. Afterward, I discovered that there is a "Service Mark" on the name (owned by a company in China). I haven't paid for the name yet, but I know I have to or I'll get my account frozen.

Considering that an owner of this domain name could begin a website that does something totally different than what the Service Mark describes, could they still legally get me to hand over the name?

Note: the mark is shown in the USPTO documents in a stylized manner, and not sure if this means they are just trademarking the style or the actual words. ???

Thanks!
https://www.upcounsel.com/intent-to-use-trademark Yes, it has to do with proof of intent and that you have actually started using, in this case, the domain name. if this helps

Enerika

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Enerika

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
source WIKIPEDIA
  • "Patent infringement
    indirect infringement if he actively and knowingly induces another to infringe, and is liable for that infringement. Types of "indirect infringement" include
    24 KB (3,047 words) - 13:37, 23 September 2019"
I don't mind looking things up just to learn (especially when it is not for myself that the work is mandatory and foreboding)...Anyhow, these may not actually help with respect to what is covered in the patent or trademark ...you may have to search that yourself online and be your own " patent(?)" lawyer.

Enerika

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't mind looking things up just to learn (especially when it is not for myself that the work is mandatory and foreboding)...Anyhow, these may not actually help with respect to what is covered in the patent or trademark ...you may have to search that yourself online and be your own " patent(?)" lawyer.
Good luck but I know you won't need it.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe @[email protected] can chime in?

If you see that the TM is stylised perhaps its just for the logo and design. Its hard to say without knowing the exact name. If you prefer it out of the public you are welcome to PM the name to me.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators