Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld .ca crazy :)... I picked up 2 today what you guys think? Launching and ClassicDesign

Status
Not open for further replies.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, I took part in the .ca landrush in 2000. That was my mistake. I should have invested in .com. I thought it was too late !
If only .ca had increased in value apace with .com I would be happy.
I'm not giving it another 10 years, because even without the restrictions the local market will not double overnight.

But sorry you need to be picky with .ca domains. I agree that generics are a good bet, I'm less optimistic about creative/brandable domains.
I don't see much value in these two domains, imo resale potential is low. Develop.

In general, when a great domain is still available you need to ask yourself if it's really that great. I assume these are not drops, but domains that may have been lying around for 10+ years waiting to be registered.

Bottom line: .ca is a ccTLD with its own market and peculiarities and must be approached as such. What works in .com will not necessarily do wonders in .ca.

You are absolutely correct on your assumptions, you had the right idea going after .ca in the landrush, but you were to early in the game, what was available in 2000 is not so available today, especially in generic .net/.org, and forget about anything .com, .ca I feel is still about 2 years out, but as is often stated pioneers get slaughtered, and the ones who come in and buy on the firesale usually get rewarded, I feel that is what is going on in .ca right now, but you are correct once again, in being selective, lots of good 3 and 4l terms though dropping...

Domain summit 2024

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bottom line...if you have to ask, don't buy it.

spidergoat

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Exactly what everybody isn't getting about .ca.

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Hugo, to provide you with your requested opinions...

Launching: The better of the two. Its a positive verb, which prompts action at one's first thought. Ecomindia is right, this is definitely a good name for startups or similar. If I had to grade this on the letter system, I would give it a B-.

There is very visible "cool factor" on this name. Just keep in mind that startups these days typically use "brandable" names of the CVCV variety, so they won't exactly be taking out a second mortgage for a domain name.

I will draw your attention to the following possible end users though, could be worth a few emails...

http://launchingcleantech.ca/
http://launchingleaders.ca/
http://launchingpad.ca/
http://launchingpad330.ca - I'm slightly familiar with this facility. Note the redirect to the .com domain. This suggests they know a thing or two as to what a domain is.

ClassicDesign: Being totally honest, not crazy about this one. Thinking logically, those who would be in the business of "classic design" are generally of a creative breed. Which means they might come up with a more original name than simply "classic design".

The first thing which comes to my head when I think of "design" is interior design. What's "in" these days in interior design is by no means classic, which, to me, does not suggest a demand for this specific keyword.

Might want to inquire to classicdesignsltd.ca, which is an inferior domain for reasons which need not be explained.

But to be 100% honest with you, I wouldn't bother renewing this one. You've got a year to do something with it, so try making some phone calls and sending some emails.

hey, how do you check on all those registered domains (ie: everything registered starting w/ "launching"). can you do that at the CIRA site?

Last edited:

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hey, how do you check on all those registered domains (ie: everything registered starting w/ "launching"). can you do that at the CIRA site?

Very easy to do..

- Go to http://whois.cira.ca/public (I use www.tinyurl.com/cirawhois for short - easier to remember!)
- Type in the keyword for which you wish to find .ca domains beginning with
- But DON'T type the .ca, as the lack of .ca leaves it open-ended for this very purpose
- Adding .ca will search for that specific domain
- Just as an example, durhamhouses.ca is one of my domains
- If you wanted to find the whois for that specific domain, you would type in "durhamhouses.ca"
- However, if you want to find all domains which start with the term "durhamhouses", you would just type in "durhamhouses"
- If you try this, you'll see that durhamhousesforsale.ca is also registered, which comes up along with my domain
- This is a very useful tool to find potential end users for your domain
- Try to be specific in your search, though... reason why I advise this is because this search is limited to only 20 results
- That said, if I try to search "toronto", then this will include all domains which start with "toronto" (i.e. torontocondos.ca, torontocars.ca, torontoaudio.ca, and so forth)
- As of right now, that quantity stands at 7,203
- Only the first 20 in that search come up as visible. Which is why you would need to be more specific to find targeted end users for your domains.

Hope this helps!

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's useful to find potential end users (or competitors).
Also, when you receive an offer on a .ca domain.
Years ago, I sold a .ca domain and I was able to identify the other party. They were buying a shorter version of their name (without the string 'canada' at the end of the domain) :)

tt9000

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's useful to find potential end users (or competitors).
Also, when you receive an offer on a .ca domain.
Years ago, I sold a .ca domain and I was able to identify the other party. They were buying a shorter version of their name (without the string 'canada' at the end of the domain) :)

May I know how you sold a .ca domain, doesn’t seems like you reside here in Canada. :?:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
May I know how you sold a .ca domain, doesn’t seems like you reside here in Canada. :?:
[ ] Maybe I am a resident or used to be
[ ] Maybe I have a Canadian passport
[ ] Maybe I have incorporated locally
[ ] Maybe I have a Canadian partner
[ ] Maybe I am the Queen of England (no offense Ilze)
(Tick all that apply)

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
[ ] Maybe I am a resident or used to be
[ ] Maybe I have a Canadian passport
[ ] Maybe I have incorporated locally
[ ] Maybe I have a Canadian partner
[ ] Maybe I am the Queen of England (no offense Ilze)
(Tick all that apply)

[ ]Maybe you cheated Canadians
[ ]Maybe you don't like Canadians
[ ]Maybe you are a con artist targeting .ca's
[ ]Maybe your not any of the above

:violin:

:focus::canada: LOL - I'm just playing with you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom