Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld .ca growth almost DOUBLE .us!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would say the results are very interesting as they were not done on a "per capita" basis but domain for domain...per capita .ca would be running away with it...

Last edited:

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is a big trend and useful to businesses I'm sure, but I don't think FB pages will replace domain names in a big way like I've seen written lately. Facebook pages are still fairly clunky and it is one of the worst sites to navigate on, and forget user friendliness. Imagine that is all you had to work with for your online presence? And the topper is, not everyone is on FB or wants to join it. To me it is just one tool that is useful but won't replace anything. But maybe I'm wrong.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, FB is a long-term fad.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No, FB is a long-term fad.

Yep it's very stupid to put your business online solely as a FB page. I've got a FB page that I visit about once every six months now. I won't click on links that I know lead to FB pages/groups etc. And from reading around this sentiment is rising.

Not to mention you are completely at their mercy, hamstrung by their software system/privacy rules etc etc.

And I'm not surprised to see .us growing so quickly. Every time we drive to Arizona I see more and more .us websites advertised in the US. They are catching on slowly but surely. Neustar could really put this into rocket-drive by doing a marketing campaign stating it is patriotic to support .us and it makes you more American. With a country full of uber-patriots it would really work well.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.us has been a sleeper and I would have been buying some over the past years if it were an open extension.

I think it will catch on like other top-used country codes, especially for personal use and small/medium businesses who wont be able to afford or acquire the .com they want.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The problem with .us, it remains an extension for small businesses therefore not a very prestigious extension, we are far from other countries where the local extension is preferred over .com.
My first landrush was in .ca (in 2000) and after dabbling in ccTLDs for so long I have learned that each country is different.
I also believe .com is still much present in Canada alongside .ca because of the economic integration with the US, and in the US you need to be on .com to exist. When so many companies export goods to the US, operating on a .ca only would be a handicap.
Now that's interesting, perhaps the laggard .us is holding back .ca :eek:k:

Last edited:

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If your business is outside Canada with a lot of other countries, then sure you want a .com. But there are tons of businesses that don't operate outside Canada, they buy and sell within Canada and a .ca works just fine - I would say the .ca has the same recognition as .com in Canada, or it's at least very close.

Many also can't get the .com they want - because it's already being used or too high a price for them in the aftermarket - but they can get the words they want in .ca with a hand reg, or a cheaper aftermarket price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators