Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Can you decipher this WLS Double Speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I seem to have misplaced by Cracker Jacks decoder ring.

http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-23aug02.htm

"(c) No registrar sponsoring the registration of a domain name in the .com and .net top-level domains shall be permitted to obtain (in its own name or for another, directly or indirectly) a WLS subscription on that name at any time after a date sixty days before the registration of the name is deleted;"

Is this saying that once a name enters that stage (60 days before deletion), you will not be able to get a WLS slot on that name? If so, you would have to speculate that the current holder will end up dropping the name well in advance of the expiration date.

Section "d" states: "there shall be an effective mechanism for actively notifying the current domain-name holder upon the placing of a WLS subscription on the name". So once the current name holder knows a WLS subscription has been taken on the name, do you think they will just let it expire? Of course not!

This is a total win win for VeriSign

Domain summit 2024

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Domain

Section "d" states: "there shall be an effective mechanism for actively notifying the current domain-name holder upon the placing of a WLS subscription on the name". So once the current name holder knows a WLS subscription has been taken on the name, do you think they will just let it expire? Of course not!

Well, I don't know anything about your first question. But as to the notification of current domain-holders, you are forgetting that many email addresses on domains are no longer valid. If that is the case, the person owning the domain will never receive that message, and will indeed let their domain expire.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:eek: People can see what the expiry date is, but who can tell what the deletion date is? Another one of ICANN's presumptious goobledeegook again.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by draqon

But as to the notification of current domain-holders, you are forgetting that many email addresses on domains are no longer valid.

I agree. People die, they change their ISPs and lose their previous emails, they disconnect from the web, they register with company e-mail addresses that are now defunct. It's amazing how little care many people bother to take in maintaining the id integrity of their names.

Domain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole

I agree. People die, they change their ISPs and lose their previous emails, they disconnect from the web, they register with company e-mail addresses that are now defunct. It's amazing how little care many people bother to take in maintaining the id integrity of their names.

True but VeriSign is very good about snail mailing the renewal. Who knows, they may alert the person to the WLS via the snail mail renewal notice.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Me too.

I went and read the whole thing--only understood about half. I knew I was in trouble when every paragraph began with-- Whereas.

Where is Ally McBeal when you need her?

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper

I knew I was in trouble when every paragraph began with-- Whereas.

Yeah, that word made me dizzy :dead:

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Brujah: I expect eNom will never hit the delete button, in that scenario. It'd be like Register.com's "Unpaid Names Department", and names will never drop.

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah Brujah I think you have it right about paragraph (c).

But what do you guys make of paragraph (a)?

(a) Subscriptions under the WLS in the .com and .net top-level domains shall not be taken by VeriSign Global Registry Services until at least six months have elapsed after implementation of the Redemption Grace Period for all deleted names in those top-level domains;

When is the Redemption Grace Period supposed to be implemented?

MillerTyme

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can you decipher this WLS Double Speak?

"(c) No registrar sponsoring the registration of a domain name in the .com and .net top-level domains shall be permitted to obtain (in its own name or for another, directly or indirectly) a WLS subscription on that name at any time after a date sixty days before the registration of the name is deleted;"

Is this saying that once a name enters that stage (60 days before deletion), you will not be able to get a WLS slot on that name?>>>> i imagine that this means that if Enom had a name that was due to expire within 60 days, that only enom would be automatically excluded from placing a WLS request for the name and a person could use any other registrar to place a claim for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom