• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Can you translate this British English to American English please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honan

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2003
Messages
3,943
Reaction score
4
Hi
One of the biggest challenges for me in the domain trade is identifying the differences between the English language that I know, as an Australian, and the English language commonly used in North America
My first question on this theme is how would you say in North America this very popular British phrase:
"Are you taking the piss?"
 
I guess: "Are you shi**ing me?" might do it. Not *quite* the same context, but I'm a native Brit English speaker ...
 
Yeah I know what it means
What I don't know is what phase is commonly used in North America to mean
"Are you taking the piss?"

Would it be " Are you pulling my leg?" or is that a bit old fashioned?
 
Joe Honan said:
Yeah I know what it means
What I don't know is what phase is commonly used in North America to mean
"Are you taking the piss?"

Would it be " Are you pulling my leg?" or is that a bit old fashioned?


OPPS:::: read your post wrong.... but the link will pass away a few hours :;
 
aZooZa said:
I guess: "Are you shi**ing me?" might do it. Not *quite* the same context, but I'm a native Brit English speaker ...
Yeah, that might be the one
 
"are you kidding me" , I think would be the most common.
 
Ok Thanks for the replies unc and z
DNjet seems to have nailed it. Thank you.
My next question on the theme is which English language spelling do people in Germany, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Netherlands and Denmark use when writing in English?
Would they type color or colour, center or centre?
 
I believe its International English in Southern Europe and English in Central, North and Eastern Europe.

Middle East and Asia is International English, with some exceptions in the South

Africa, India is British as is Hong Kong.
 
Thanks strands
I read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_English
and it is "doing my head in" trying to work out if it is centre or center in International English

Which makes me wonder:
What is the commonly used phrase in North America for
"This is doing my head in"
 
Centre in Int Eng I think.
"doing my head in" = "driving me nuts"
"are you kidding" = not rude enough to match "taking the pi**"
 
center is International
Centre is UK

Doing My Head In = "Driving me Crazy"

actually written as "Doin ma headin"
 
LOL with all the semantics ;)
 
Don't come the raw prawn with me, cobber :cheesy:

Joe, whenever I communicate I use international spelling (color instead of colour etc). I don't think it matters too much though. She'll be right, mate..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom