• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Capital Gains??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangRabbit

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2006
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
I'm embarking on a website/business sale. I'm the seller.

I'm trying to figure out how capital gains work. Math and financial stuff isn't my strong suit ;)

I'm in the U.S.

Could someone answer these in very simple terms?

What's the tax liability for capital gains?
What's the best legal way to keep capital gains to a minimum without reinvesting the money in another website/business?
What exactly is "goodwill" in a business sale, and how does it impact capital gain liability?

Any other thoughts you want to share?

Yes, I am talking to various accountants and will try to get a good financial person when all this comes to pass... but I want to educate myself first and know what to expect...

Thanks!
 
What's the tax liability for capital gains? - 15% plus your state tax
What's the best legal way to keep capital gains to a minimum without reinvesting the money in another website/business? - You don't have to reinvest you just need to own the product or service for longer than 1 year. This is GW's way to have get more entrepreneurs to start businesses.
What exactly is "goodwill" in a business sale, and how does it impact capital gain liability? It's all how it is categorized. Be sure to get a reputable accountant, not one that's going to tell you to incorporate offshore.
 
I don't believe that "goodwill" has any relevance to the seller. Goodwill has been explained to me as a way of accounting for the difference between asset value and actual purchase price. A $7 domain purchased for $1,000 might have goodwill of $993 for depreciation purposes.
 
Duckinla said:
I don't believe that "goodwill" has any relevance to the seller. Goodwill has been explained to me as a way of accounting for the difference between asset value and actual purchase price. A $7 domain purchased for $1,000 might have goodwill of $993 for depreciation purposes.

Interesting... I'll have to find out more about this because the asset value is what you actual pay capital gains on. For example, if the asset value is $100 and you sell for $1000, you would pay capital gains on $900 -- the GAIN -- not the final sale price.

Anyone else care to explain how "goodwill" works in the sale of a website?

Thanks Deepster, for your thoughts.

Anyone else want to chime in on the other questions?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom