• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale Cleaning Up Portfolio

rmacdon

DNF Member
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2004
Messages
647
Reaction score
18
I was recently reading an article at Domain Sherpa and it was basically about cleaning up portfolios by deleting non performing domains. Imagine holding a few hundred domains aver 10 years and the carrying costs for registration fees:( Example 300 (domains) * 12 (approx reg) * 10 (years) = $36,000.00. This was a wake up call to get deleting! I was able to delete dozens of names that are not getting traffic or little traffic / no offers and no major development plans. Times have definitely changed :(
I am still buying names but ONLY if they have traffic and ONLY if there is premium value. I am also thinking that with every purchase I need to delete something and simply focus on a portfolio of premium potential and maybe about 100 domains max. Its a tough decision to delete domains but you have history in a relatively mature market depending on the extension ie: .ca and its probably time to simply delete and reduce your carrying costs. You could save thousands per year!

---Rob
 
Last edited:
I set up a similar philosophy Rob a couple of years ago.
I gave myself a pool of funds to work with to cover purchase/renewal etc.
If I want to make a purchase and don't have the funds in the pool then I have to sell/drop enough to make up what I need.
I admit to wavering once in a while(but rarely and only for exceptional purchases I can't let go by).

It is a bit of a motivator to keep things in financial control by looking ahead to what is coming in for renewals etc. 6 months ahead and planning for that. That is many times why I will just bash out a bunch of names on the cheap. Not because they aren't names worth owning, I just haven't been able to monetize or market them. My bad... not the domains.;)


Jim
 
Yes, I really should have started this a couple years back and would have saved more than a few thousand :( Another lesson learned is not to use auto-renew because you don't have a chance to evaluate and possibly delete the domains. Also, if you are carrying IDN's and gTLDs probably time to let the majority of them go (money pits). I have had premium IDN's for years and little to no activity even on the ones with natural traffic.
 
Yes auto renew is a nono for me, with a few exceptions. Registrars most of us use send regular renewal reminders every week starting 2 months ahead.
 
it's definitely a struggle with renewals, was easy to swallow when there were sales, I trimmed down my portfolio and plan to develop out some premiums -
 
Back
Top Bottom