Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.co Cybersquatting Showcase - Who Will Get Sued First?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
There is no doubt some idiots will register .co domains as pure attempts to monetize traffic of domains that bear strong marks, e.g. check out Papajohns.co

However, despite .CO being a ccTLD it has an air of global approval due to its proximity to .com and its prior use as a second level domain in other ccTLDs such as .co.uk - in many cultures "co" stands for corporation.

This is not as if Russia invited everyone to use .ru because the corporation that oversees the .co Registry is a joint Colombian/US company.
Personally, I mostly invested in geodomains that will rank well once developed.

Domain Summit 2024

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Personally, I mostly invested in geodomains that will rank well once developed.

Major keyword, same spelling Spanish / English geos should do ok [assuming your major developing is outside of the ccTLD umbrella], and would have no applicability or visitor confusion issues if bolted to a Spanish - Colombian centric language section [which obviously means some minor flipping potential for the raw domain itself]. Though with so many .com/.net/.org opportunities opening up lately due to global economic conditions, I personally see no need to speculate in .co myself [cheaper registration fees, more flexible applicability for a non-Spanish speaker such as myself].

Last edited:

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I mostly invested in geodomains that will rank well once developed.

I grabbed generics that could not be confused as tm typos.

-=DCG=-

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Major keyword same spelling Spanish / English geos should do ok, and would have no applicability or visitor confusion issues if bolted to a Spanish - Colombian centric language section [which obviously means some minor flipping potential]. Though with so many .com/.net/.org opportunities opening up lately due to global economic conditions, I personally see no need to speculate in .co myself.

Google has already announced that it will not be treating .CO as a local TLD, in other words, it won't skew search results to favor .FR if you're searching from France. This is a unique opportunity to literally treat .CO as .COM and simply register & develop keywords that will rank well. It's not as if you took a .PL trying to make it #1 in Google in the US.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Google has already announced that it will not be treating .CO as a local TLD, in other words, it won't skew search results to favor .FR if you're searching from France. This is a unique opportunity to literally treat .CO as .COM and simply register & develop keywords that will rank well. It's not as if you took a .PL trying to make it #1 in Google in the US.

Google's geo targeting behavior has become so difficult to pin down at this stage [maybe it's just broken], that I'm not even sure anymore if they would handicap an English driven .pl within their Google.com index [which is contrary to what I used to think]. I'm seeing some weird rankings these days [within the last 12 months]. Obviously that doesn't mean visitors aren't becoming increasingly confused as to where the hell they are anymore. Which again, for me personally, means a $8 .net is more viable than a $30 .co [assuming some domain based ranking barriers are liberalizing]. Will be interesting to see how the Google issue unfolds.

If you develop and rank a major keyword .co within the Google.com index, publish a brief article about it over at DomainGang, and I'll be sure and have a read. Would be an interesting experiment to take a look at, since I generally take everything Google says with a huge grain of salt. By the way, was it Matt Cutts <<< :D that confirmed this? Do you have the source article link, I can't seem to find it in blog land?

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The keywords I registered didn't exist since the mid 90's in .com so I am pretty confident about what I can do with them, simply because the .com domains are all parked, the same for the .net and .org - even .info and .us.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The keywords I registered didn't exist since the mid 90's in .com so I am pretty confident about what I can do with them, simply because the .com domains are all parked, the same for the .net and .org - even .info and .us.

I've got a goofy half finished purely English driven geo .pl floating around out in Google [a SEO experiment], and it seems to pull down Google.com index traffic with ease lately [and 0 Google.pl traffic]. Can't tell if some domain based ranking barriers have liberalized recently, or if it's an age rank factor issue [the domain is a couple years old now]. If I ever get the free time I should play with it some more, as I'm increasingly interested in possible oddball ccTLD English keyword ranking exploits [assuming they do exist].

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom