Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.com.cn and .cn registration--where cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoewayne

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am willing to registrer some .cn and .com.cn names.
the price of which registrar is relatively cheap?
Thank you!

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
zoewayne said:
I am willing to registrer some .cn and .com.cn names.
the price of which registrar is relatively cheap?
Thank you!

Frankly, I would avoid .com.cn as it was launched much earlier than than dot CN but the latter has come from nowhere and overtaken it in double quick time. TLDs will always be worth more than second level medium term.

I would seriously advise against registering English Keywords in Dot CN. Dot CN is primarily aimed at the PRC domestic market and I believe Chinese Simplified IDN will dominate this market. IDN will give search ranking which ASCII domains cannot.

It is also the case that dot com is actually bigger in China than dot CN and a lot cheaper to register.

Dot CN are more cheaply registered in China than outside. Once registered you cannot swap between the internal and external registrations, although that may change. Some western registers actually have a tie up with registrar in China and get you internal registration, and therefore cheaper. Cnobin dot com offer registrations for $22.99 but it is marked sale.

I actually have mine at www.domainsite.com where they are $39.99 per year.
Dumped all but the very best due to cost of renewal and lack of conviction in Latin character dot CN. Most of what I have kept are 3 letter acronyms.

Good new is Dot CN is now officially bigger than Dot US.

Best of Luck!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

chaumi

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi

$23.50 at cnnames.net

Chaumi

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's better to avoid .cn.

abc.cn are mostly speculative and have almost no local resale market (only foreigners, e.g. on dnf, trade in them), with the exception of probably trademark domains, where the objective is to sell it back to the trademark owner, e.g. google.cn and google.com.cn were sold back to Google for 1 million yuan.

.com rules in China - the top 50 websites in China are virtually .coms.

M

mole

touchring said:
It's better to avoid .cn.

abc.cn are mostly speculative and have almost no local resale market (only foreigners, e.g. on dnf, trade in them), with the exception of probably trademark domains, where the objective is to sell it back to the trademark owner, e.g. google.cn and google.com.cn were sold back to Google for 1 million yuan.

.com rules in China - the top 50 websites in China are virtually .coms.

That's taking things at a very shallow/surfacial level, ring. Web addresses exist for reasons other than resale, the first and foremost of them is to reflect what the site content carries.

In the first innings of the Internet, .COM was meant to signify "we have a website on the Internet".

We are now in the second innings of the Internet, a far deeper and much more complex web that requires new addressing options that say more than just "we have a website on the Internet".

Of course, if a developer were to invest millions of dollars into a website, chances are it will be a .COM eg. baidu.com. At the first level of ecommerce activation, that may be the sensible thing to do.

When you start getting down to 2nd level engagement opportunities, then a ccTLD may serve a nice tactical role to supplement the .COM mothership. Don't forget that getting a blue-chip generic catch-all .COM can be a ridiculously expensive exercise, sometimes requiring you buy out the company behind the name. These "extension" options are generally much more feasible and practical at the ccTLD level.

Having said that, the fast emerging new space sprouting around old and aging addresses like .COM can only serve to remould people's perspective about the Internet, and web addresses as a whole. .COM may be preferred, but no longer a do-or-die name to have, especial generic names. Generic names mean stiff all to companies who would rather invest their precious marketing dollars into their own brand names rather than build the category for competitors, eg Google, Microsoft.

If you thought "type-in" was a big thing and a key source of traffic, you got to be joking. I've personally seen logs of sites generate millions of uniques through marketing campaigns, sites driven by branding of company names rather than category "descriptors" aka generic names.

I digress, but you get my drift on .CN's value proposition.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you create a free account at my enom reseller site, www.enomid.com ,you can then register .cn , .com.cn , .net.cn and .org.cn for $29.95 at enom

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a month later... you guys still think .cn is worthless? it seems the opposite in japan where .jp is advertised alot

johannez

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"5.29 per year !

http://www.todaynic.com/index_en.net"

Yes if you speak Chinese, there is no english support and AN INITIAL DEPOSIT OF 1100 US$ :(

johannez

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You have to read Chinese though :tape2:

Their support is in chinese :pray:

You probably have to be chinese. How to pay? and so on and so on :fencing:

:whoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom