Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

.com Translate.com and 2 other Japanese IDNs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
振替.com
xn--2vuu8f.com
"Money Transfer"
Results 1 - 10 of about 5,410,000 for 振替.

債権者.com
xn--x0q733dxop.com
"Creditor"
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,130,000 for 債権者

点検.com
xn--f4v75n.com
"Bank Checks"
Results 1 - 10 of about 5,760,000 for 点検

翻訳しなさい.com
xn--n8j7af0fw374cq2m.com
"Translate"
Results 1 - 10 of about 101,000 for 翻訳しなさい

BIN: $1200, accepting offers.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for the post..I reverified that it means "translate" from multiple sources..thanks alot for the input.

Named

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Generally, sentences as domain names don't really work. Right?

Edwin is 100% correct on this one. What is being sold is "please translate this".com, and not an abstract "translate.com".

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can guarantee it does NOT mean translate. I can read that much Japanese, no problem.

The "しなさい" part says "shinasai" which means "(please) do it". It's what people add to make something an instruction or order (one of several ways of phrasing it).

wrdekle

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
godfrey90sf said:
so what would translate be?

Sorry that the news isn't good on this domain. There isn't any ambiguity and Edwin is correct.

This is translate "翻訳". As in written translation. Note that it does not include interpretation which is a different term "通訳". If you are interested in that term, I have a bargain sale for 通訳者.net "interpreter" you should look at listed a couple of days ago.....On second thought its too cheap and I am going to go pull it.

Hope that helps.

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Edwin said:
I can guarantee it does NOT mean translate. I can read that much Japanese, no problem.

The "しなさい" part says "shinasai" which means "(please) do it". It's what people add to make something an instruction or order (one of several ways of phrasing it).

Just to interject, while I admittedly do not know a lick of Japanese, I do speak English very fluently, and in English -- "translate" is an imperative sentence, meaning "(you) (please) translate (this)." (the subject, imperative and direct object are all inferred in the word "translate"). The dispute as to whether the Japanese characters are "(please) translate this" or "translate" appear to me to be superfluous. In fact, the verb translate is the already conjugated imperative form of the verb "to translate". When used alone "translate" takes no other connotation than the imperative. (I.e., it has no "generic" context such as could be said of the noun "translation")

Therefore, there does not appear to be anything wrong with godfrey90sf's indication that the words that in Japanese that are translated "(please) translate this" also may be translated into English as simply "translate".

wrdekle said:
This is translate "翻訳". As in written translation. Note that it does not include interpretation which is a different term "通訳". If you are interested in that term, I have a bargain sale for 通訳者.net "interpreter" you should look at listed a couple of days ago.....On second thought its too cheap and I am going to go pull it.

My point exactly. If "翻訳" means "written transation", then it doesn't mean "translate" (an imperative verb), but "translation" (a noun). What would be "translate.com" in Japanese?

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Where can I find some good IDNs? Looks like there is a lot of confusion in this area. I guess there is a lot of money to be made when no one knows what the hell is going on.....kinda like Internet Stocks in the 90's. Kool-Aid, anyone?

kenne

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
godfrey90sf, you got some nice domains.

But regarding translate.com, while I don't know much about Japanese, I agree with wrdekle, the more literal translation the better.

In this case, the literal translation is translatethis.com, and there exists a much shorter version, 翻訳 which has japanese OVT=677464; while 翻訳しなさい has japanese OVT = 0.

http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/?term=翻訳&mkt=jp

I can't argue with that.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Diverge, Thanks for the post..and also, thanks to everyone for their posts..I'd like to say that I do agree that in english, "translate" means "to be translating" or "to get something translated", therefore I think that this IDN is still just as good. I am going to lower the bin to $700 for all three. I just sold Sell.com in chinese-simplified, please let me know if interested in these.

wrdekle

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
diverge said:
My point exactly. If "翻訳" means "written transation", then it doesn't mean "translate" (an imperative verb), but "translation" (a noun). What would be "translate.com" in Japanese?

Your point is well taken, grammatically the imperative "translate!" can be 翻訳 しなさい or 翻訳 して. 翻訳 by itself means "translation" and 翻訳 する means "to translate". Thank you for that return to high school grammar, I know you were well intentioned. But since we aren't actually here to dole out lessons in Japanese, we should shift this discussion to the more practical matter at hand: does this grammatically correct expression make for a potentially valuable domain name?

The value of this domain depends on how the Japanese actually use their language to search for things. If we look on Japanese Overture's keyword tool we see that 翻訳しなさい receives the following result 翻訳しなさい に対する関連キーワードはありません。. Which translates loosely as "not a single *(&*(&( person in a nation of 125 million people, the majority of whom are connected to the internet searched for that expression last month or the number of such searches was so insignificant we have decided to treat it as a big fat zero".

On the other hand, 翻訳 received 677,464 lookups - an impressive number to be sure. Edwin's intention here is to prevent potential buyers who do not speak Japanese from purchasing a domain name which is, how do I phrase it politely, of utterly no value whatsoever.

The seller didn't do it intentionally, it happens to all of us sometimes when we deal in languages we don't know. But I applaud Edwin and believe that all of us IDNers who do know another language have an obligation to point out issues which materially affect the value of an IDN domain for sale. We need to preserve the reputation of the market and ensure that buyers get fair notice of what they are buying. Though at the end of the day we all know that it is "caveat emptor".

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wrdekle said:
On the other hand, 翻訳 received 677,464 lookups - an impressive number to be sure.

Anyone interest in the dot com here, please contact Rubber Duck!

Named

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
übersetzer.de
("translator" in German) €19,500 = $23,672 Sedo 1/24/06

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Named said:
übersetzer.de
("translator" in German) €19,500 = $23,672 Sedo 1/24/06

German Overture 16647 uebersetzer

so it looks like $100K wouldn't be unreasonable for

翻訳.com which has japanese OVT=677464

Still early days though, I am sure I could be tempted for a lot less than that!

wrdekle

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Rubber Duck said:
German Overture 16647 uebersetzer

so it looks like $100K wouldn't be unreasonable for

翻訳.com which has japanese OVT=677464

Still early days though, I am sure I could be tempted for a lot less than that!

And to think that on the other end of the spectrum I was offering 通訳者.net "Interpreter" for a mere $20. I cancelled that sale, the .net is worth many times more than that even today.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your sale.

Please visit my updated post will all IDNs listed..

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wrdekle said:
And to think that on the other end of the spectrum I was offering 通訳者.net "Interpreter" for a mere $20. I cancelled that sale, the .net is worth many times more than that even today.

Yes, many will have huge regrets for selling IDN too cheapily, including myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators