Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld Comparing .ca To .com When It Comes To Keyword Searches And Website Development...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterMan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just curious, I am looking at a domain for development and I know that if it was a .com it would 100% be worth developing, but this is a .ca... and .ca is actually the only tld left for this particular domain, it is available to hand reg...

I realize that this is speculation and it is hard to say for sure but I am wondering what some thoughts are on using the .com or US stats and numbers to determine if it is worth developing the .ca version...

Thanks!

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If your product or service targets primarily the Canadian market, then .ca is an excellent choice (and the TLD is mature enough now to have garnered trust and identity) even more-so, in some cases, as a .com.

Of course, the ideal is to own both, and then develop the .ca for the Canadian market.

If your product has a global marketplace then the .ca may be a tougher sell - as the opposite buyer effect may take place (presuming that the site is for Canadians only...)

A simplified example: I would take watermelons.ca over watermelonscanada.com ... if you want to ship primarily to Canadians. ... :p

PeterMan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If your product or service targets primarily the Canadian market, then .ca is an excellent choice (and the TLD is mature enough now to have garnered trust and identity) even more-so, in some cases, as a .com.

Of course, the ideal is to own both, and then develop the .ca for the Canadian market.

If your product has a global marketplace then the .ca may be a tougher sell - as the opposite buyer effect may take place (presuming that the site is for Canadians only...)

A simplified example: I would take watermelons.ca over watermelonscanada.com ... if you want to ship primarily to Canadians. ... :p

In this case I am actually dealing with a service...

And to be clear I guess I am mostly interested in trying to figure out how the keyword data relates to Canada... So if the particular term has a high paying CPC for adsense I am guessing that is based on US numbers?? Maybe I should have been clearer in my initial post... So basically is there any way to relate the CPC value for a term that is based on US results to a .ca domain?

I hope that is clear??

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In this case I am actually dealing with a service...

And to be clear I guess I am mostly interested in trying to figure out how the keyword data relates to Canada... So if the particular term has a high paying CPC for adsense I am guessing that is based on US numbers?? Maybe I should have been clearer in my initial post... So basically is there any way to relate the CPC value for a term that is based on US results to a .ca domain?

I hope that is clear??

Filter your keyword in the Adwords Keywords tool for traffic only originating from Canada. That will limit the number of average searches, and CPC, for Canada which will give you a good idea. Normally, the CPC is the global average, unless you've applied country, language or other filters.

PeterMan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this info! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators