Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed "computer".com in Simplified Chinese

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here is one for the IDN buffs amongst you!

Doesn't whois to us as it is blocked at the Registry, but we would appear to have rights over it as we own the Traditional Chinese equivalent:

xn--nqv366b6vl.com 计算机 computer

This is the translation of "computer" as given by Google Language Tool.

We also own both variants of the dot net.

Thinking that as China is now both the world's largest producer and consumer of PCs this should be worth a few shillings.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
aboutwhat.org said:
that is calculator not computer.. :)

You could well be right as I don't speak Chinese, but I am getting this for calculator.

计算器

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok guy prepare to be dissapointed.

First off in double byte langues such as Japanese, Chinese, Arabic based languages the concept on it for computing is the same.

I'm fluent in Japanese & have been up on the internet booms in Japan aka Bit Valley for years.

The concepts are the same.

They do offer domain names in Japanese as far as katakana, カタカナ, hiragana ひらがな, or kanji 漢字 which is the Chinese characters used in Japanese.

1. if someone who could use the domain name tried to contact you how would you know? how could you differientiate between the Chinese Spam & legit offers?

2. Since I know Japanese there is no way xn--nqv366b6vl means anything in Chinese. The Characters would have been more like éiî%#£

This is the reason why people Don't register these domain names because to Google it looks like éiî%#£ or basically those characters that are usually ignored.

So if your computer is not fully Chinese capabable or if you don't understand the basics in Chinese & computers you are going to get sued if try to sell that domain name. Especially the dot com I 100% assure you it means nothing.

I believe that others that might speak Asian laguages would agree.

I also wouldn't trust registering a domain name that I couldn't even check. As far as I heard China Blocks a lot of content coming into China but never heard of us on the outside being blocked from China ISPs...

I thinks you been had. I would get a Chinese speaking person I know to help if you want to register native Chinese domain names.
Maybe in the future they will be able to be indexed in search engines but as of right now the native names can't. Why didn't you try to register the phonetic spelling? That would make more sense.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. if someone who could use the domain name tried to contact you how would you know? how could you differientiate between the Chinese Spam & legit offers?

If you knew anything about IDN at all you would know that it there has been extensive negotiations with ICANN over all of this and conflicting IDNs have been barred at the registry.

2. Since I know Japanese there is no way xn--nqv366b6vl means anything in Chinese. The Characters would have been more like éiî%#£

The Chinese characters were displayed in the original post, but if you cannot see them it is because you system is not set up to display them. If you need advice I can help.

This is the reason why people Don't register these domain names because to Google it looks like éiî%#£ or basically those characters that are usually ignored.

Nonsense again. These characters can be searched in Google MSN Yahoo Baidu, 3721 and hundreds more!

So if your computer is not fully Chinese capabable or if you don't understand the basics in Chinese & computers you are going to get sued if try to sell that domain name. Especially the dot com I 100% assure you it means nothing.

B*ll*cks!

I believe that others that might speak Asian laguages would agree.

I also wouldn't trust registering a domain name that I couldn't even check. As far as I heard China Blocks a lot of content coming into China but never heard of us on the outside being blocked from China ISPs...

Dot Com is the most widely used extension in China, and the Chinese Government is very proactive in promoting IDN. What exactly is your point?

I thinks you been had. I would get a Chinese speaking person I know to help if you want to register native Chinese domain names.
Maybe in the future they will be able to be indexed in search engines but as of right now the native names can't. Why didn't you try to register the phonetic spelling? That would make more sense.

Most of the domains I needed were registered about 18 months ago. Do you really think I would trust somebody else to do it? Perhaps if I gave you all my registration ideas, they would be safe in you hands? Knowledge of Chinese might be useful but by no means essential.

Again you comments about indexing show your ignorance!

I didn't register the phonetic spellings because I don't believe the Chinese will ever use them. They are not only clumsy but don't give the same accuracy of meaning which is why we think all Chinese are called Wang! How many web pages are written in PinYin?

Sorry, I love a good debate, but you are really going to have to try harder than this. The translation given is clearly accurate, I was just being polite to the previous contributor.

Not only does Babel Fish get "Computer" but so does Systran!

Search results as follows:

Google 5,590,000
Baidu 12,800,000 + 10 displayed sponsored links (Max)
3721 11,801,640 + 489 sponsored searches

Sorry I forgot it also scores 191 on Overture.

Quite impressive for characters that mean nothing at all!

Anyway, welcome to the site.

Dave Wrixon

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you aren't even 100% certain on what you're registering because you don't have a full grasp of the language in which you're speculating, you might want to be careful in calling others ignorant.

dwrixon said:
Again you comments are indexing show your ignorance!

Anyway, welcome to the site.[/B]

Dave Wrixon[/B]

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IDN-s are worthless, I would save the money and register some real domains.

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
stuff said:

Oh boy stuff. I can sense a massive tongue lashing coming from the IDN King, dwrixon.

Glad I didn't say those words :).

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to debate you guy.

I'm telling you that xn--nqv366b6vl.com does not translate to computers in the double byte format.

I went & typed in 计算器.com & it transfered to http://xn--m7r387f65k.com

I do believe that the xn-- in the from means that the characters seem to be transfered to an assigned redirect set of numbers & letters. It possibly looks random.

One of the value that English dot coms have is the fact that the search engines pick up keywords.

I'm just saying that those combinations xn--m7r387f65k.com does not translate into computer.

I just type in something simple 日本.com it gives me xn--(another set of random numbers & letters)

It seems like these domains are assigned a xn-- & a random set of numbers & letters.

I'm not trying to say this to seem ignorant as you posted this to ask some questions. You yourself said that you don't speak Chinese, I don't either but I speak Japanese & understand a lot of problems with double byte languages.

I didn't realized that they assigned these native Chinese & Japanese characters to random numbers. Most of the developers I know in Tokyo don't buy these domain names anyway. This is just a fact.

There is no particular merit for the SEO keyword part of buying domains if it redirects to assigned random numbers & letters.

In my browser it would even better if it stayed 计算器.com but it doesn't it goes to xn--m7r387f65k.com. Is this your site?

My main point is this I have a perfect example.
Look at http://www.dmoz.org/World/Chinese_Simplified/
& look at the link names & then actually click the links

The file names are native Chinese doublebyte
Browsers can't read it like the way it is. So it turns into longer URLs naturally.

This is most likely the reason why they assign xn-- & random numbers & letters.

If you say you don't speak Chinese, I really thought hey you just might not know. I'm not saying you're stupid or ignorant. It's a bit unjust dude to just assume that I'm ignorant. I've got some good feedback from people on this site & have consulted & developed for financial clients in Tokyo especially concerning the double byte compatibility issue. I thought I was just helping out.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
financialtraffic said:
If you aren't even 100% certain on what you're registering because you don't have a full grasp of the language in which you're speculating, you might want to be careful in calling others ignorant.

Well the Search Engines either index these characters or they don't. The truth is that they do and most have for sometime. Talking nonsense about things you have no knowledge of is my book ignorance.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
financialtraffic said:
Oh boy stuff. I can sense a massive tongue lashing coming from the IDN King, dwrixon.

Glad I didn't say those words :).

When I was a total newbie I registered many terrible domains!
I also got help from fellow forum members so I am trying to do something good here and help a fellow member out.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
stuff said:

As I and others have already made very substantial profits on IDN domain sales, this comment needs substantial justification.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:
As I and others have already made very substantial profits on IDN domain sales, this comment needs substantial justification.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Show me some IDN-s that You have sold in past at least $xxxx range And I will show You my .com sales that I made last month in $xxxx range.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The Chinese have been calling computers "jisuanji" (calculator) because they are (or at least were) calculators. Many Chinese universities still call their department of computer science that way. The term "dian nao" ("electronic brain") is relative newer and kind of imported from outside mainland (like Taiwan and Hong Kong), although it has since become more popular with the younger generations.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
stuff said:
When I was a total newbie I registered many terrible domains!
I also got help from fellow forum members so I am trying to do something good here and help a fellow member out.

We all make mistakes and I have made a few. IDNs are a bit of gamble especially if you are looking at some of the more obscure languages. Sure, if you don't speak the language then there are some real pitfalls that you can fall into, but at the end of the day you are looking at trying translate, one or two words at a time. Just how difficult can that be. There are numerous ways of evaluating Local Character Keywords, not least Overture Keywords Tool, which should be familiar to most. The numbers for Search Engine results can also be helpful. I am now, however, finding that Sponsored Keywords on local sites is probably the best indicator of value.

I have am 100% confident about one third of my portfolio and envisage weeding out another third as their relative merit becomes more apparent. Not because I believe that many are meaningless, but because the level of profit will not be sufficiently interesting to stay in for the long haul.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

stuff said:
Show me some IDN-s that You have sold in past at least $xxxx range And I will show You my .com sales that I made last month in $xxxx range.

I have already sold three in this range after registering them for $7 each. These were Chinese Cities and the price was really far too low, but it was a toe in the market. Frankly, I am more interested in waiting for PPC revenue to take off and then I probably won't bother to sell at all!

With IDN the real key is not what they are worth now, but how much they will be worth in 5 years time. The longer-term potential of any good IDN that is obtained now is clearly much higher than that of a conventional dot com. In the current market, you have to be a smart cookie to pick up anything good under $2000 in an English dot com, but there are still plenty of reasonable IDNs that can be acquired for registration fee.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you seeing any traffic to these IDNs?
If not, how can PPC become viable. What would be the huge catalyst to explode the traffic and allow them to get even 1/100th of what generic .coms get.

There are many generic .coms that don't get a lot of traffic and don't generate a lot of money. So how would obscured smaller channels suddenly start to generate profits?

I just don't see the traffic and thus profit. But, maybe you do.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
The Chinese have been calling computers "jisuanji" (calculator) because they are (or at least were) calculators. Many Chinese universities still call their department of computer science that way. The term "dian nao" ("electronic brain") is relative newer and kind of imported from outside mainland (like Taiwan and Hong Kong), although it has since become more popular with the younger generations.

Well that sheds a bit of light on things. That is the big problem with any language, including English, is that usuage shifts with time.

It would appear that the Dian Nao version is the more valuable, but the dot com has been registered for some 5 years now, so you would have needed to be very quick off the mark for that one! Don't see that dropping somehow!

Anyway, thanks for the informed insights. Most useful!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
financialtraffic said:
If not, how can PPC become viable. What would be the huge catalyst to explode the traffic and allow them to get even 1/100th of what generic .coms get.

There are many generic .coms that don't get a lot of traffic and don't generate a lot of money. So how would obscured smaller channels suddenly start to generate profits?

Allow me to jump in here. Take the Chinese IDN as an example. Everybody is talking about how HUGE the Chinese market is these days, but do you know that almost ALL of them search in Chinese (those strange characters)? If anyone could tap into this search engine and type in correlation, e.g. Dave (Wrixon) via IDN domains, then the potentials are beyond imagination. For now, it may be a minority channel because the major PPC players (incl. Google Adsense) have yet to figure out how to monetarize them; but once the formula is worked out, I'll be rich just by teaching elementary Chinese to DNForum members alone. LOL! :-D

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Yes, but it is still comparatively small. The main reason for this is that the Ubiquitous Internet Explorer doen't support them, but this will change with the imminent release of IE 7.0.

Type in is what people do. Most existing type in traffic is done in the mother tongue. What has been missing is the capability for 90% of the world to do this. Believe me it just around the corner and they will type in just the same as the Anglo Saxon world. The fact that English is only the fourth largest language group by native speakers suggest that some of these markets could eventually be almost the size of US market, which accounts for Lions Share of PPC today. The big difference is that you can still register concise meaningful domains that are applicable to markets in excess of 100M in several languages. Frankly, English dot com is just about played out as a speculative vehicle. Time to move on!

You are of course correct the fundamentals of this don't change when you shift cultures. That is what is so exciting as lessons learnt in the west can be applied globally.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:

this will change with the imminent release of IE 7.0.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

So, the world is consolidated for the most part on software (Microsoft). But for some reason the Internet will deconsolidate in favor of IDNs? Why not just use software to handle language difference on the fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom