Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed "computer".com in Simplified Chinese

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:
We have a very active Forum going on IDN that actually has more meaningful discussion than is going on here.

meaningfull, sure...
in an IDN specific forum, statiscly speaking, you are bound to get a LOT more people that are pro IDN...
I mean, how many people that hate domains join DNF??????????????????

the truth, that is unbiased is here.
the place where all can discuss IDNs.
If I create a pro Michael Jackson forum, I dont expect to get a lot of MJU haters...
anyhow, I do sincerely wish you the best.
until then... dont waste your cash :eek:k:

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are almost no more good chinese .com idns left. I wish i could read Japanese as they are worth infinite times more in terms of ad revenue - i'm not one who believes in online translators.

I once saw someone register a chinese idn that is translated from the english word "Buy American". Google translator will translate it into the chinese equivalent of "Buy an American man".

I think that same person used google to translate "made in america". The actual chinese translation literally meant "Go to America and make".

Of cos, i didn't know what were the original english words immediately, but after playing with the online translator for a while, i sort of was able to figure the english part:

made in america -> 在美国做
buy american -> 买美国人

xtc

Inactive User
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
touchring said:
I once saw someone register a chinese idn that is translated from the english word "Buy American". Google translator will translate it into the chinese equivalent of "Buy an American man".

buy american -> 买美国人

From what I can tell in the above phrase, it is indeed "buy an american [person]." That's a name that would definitely raise some eyebrows. :laugh: Thumbs up for google's translation.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
meaningfull, sure...
in an IDN specific forum, statiscly speaking, you are bound to get a LOT more people that are pro IDN...
I mean, how many people that hate domains join DNF??????????????????

the truth, that is unbiased is here.
the place where all can discuss IDNs.
If I create a pro Michael Jackson forum, I dont expect to get a lot of MJU haters...
anyhow, I do sincerely wish you the best.
until then... dont waste your cash :eek:k:

Do me a favour. Have a look at the domains for appraisal on this Forum, then have a good look at the comments. Look at yourself in the mirror and come back and tell me honestly whether it possible to have a rational debate on this Forum.

The whole atmosphere on here is anti-IDN, although most of the dissenters have gone a bit quiet, as each week their are more and more converts, and growing realisation that world is changing, as it inevitably had to. The fact is that this is happening now. The time to act is now. If you leave another couple of months then you will have missed, the boat.

By the way, the bit about without extensions. Could you actually explain, howe that can work? Perhaps you should go out and register a few at $1000 a time and £240 renewal fee! If you do, then I sincerely wish you the best of luck!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Actually the difference between IDNForums and here is there we exchange information. He we just bicker!

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:
Do me a favour. Have a look at the domains for appraisal on this Forum, then have a good look at the comments. Look at yourself in the mirror and come back and tell me honestly whether it possible to have a rational debate on this Forum.

SNIP

Actually the difference between IDNForums and here is there we exchange information. He we just bicker!
I am sorry you feel this way.
and I am surprised you feel/think I have not taken a look :)

No, it is not possible to have a rational debate here, because the majority of people here are knowledgeable people who know what they are talking about.
Look, I know you want a 'yes person', but I can not do that for you, nor will many people here.
Your IDN crusade is getting tiring.
I respect it, because it is an opinion, and I do respect opinions.
However, please do not expect everyone to bow down and accept them.
IDN=BS, now that is one mind boggling idear. 3 letters =2... mmmmm....

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
I am sorry you feel this way.
and I am surprised you feel/think I have not taken a look :)

No, it is not possible to have a rational debate here, because the majority of people here are knowledgeable people who know what they are talking about.
Look, I know you want a 'yes person', but I can not do that for you, nor will many people here.
Your IDN crusade is getting tiring.
I respect it, because it is an opinion, and I do respect opinions.
However, please do not expect everyone to bow down and accept them.
IDN=BS, now that is one mind boggling idear. 3 letters =2... mmmmm....

Dave is getting impatient, idn will take off, but not until at least 85% of browsers support idn. When will that happen is a question mark.

Everyone is taking a wait and see attitude.

Anyway, this is also a good thing if most people are at the sideline - i just registered the idn dot com name of an EU country and a capital city of an oil rich Arab country today. I still find it unbelievable, though i spent 2 days going thru 100 countries/cities.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
touchring said:
There are almost no more good chinese .com idns left. I wish i could read Japanese as they are worth infinite times more in terms of ad revenue - i'm not one who believes in online translators.

I think that same person used google to translate "made in america". The actual chinese translation literally meant "Go to America and make".

Of cos, i didn't know what were the original english words immediately, but after playing with the online translator for a while, i sort of was able to figure the english part:

made in america -> 在美国做
buy american -> 买美国人

Online translator are very useful but not to be trusted. I am having to junk a lot of Arabic domains. Not because the translator was wrong but simply because it was too correct. Included a lot additional symbols that just get missed in practice.

However, that is not to say translators are useless they are a starting point. Goolge scores give you a very quick indication of whether you are on the right tracks. Japan is a breeze as they have their own Local Overture Search Tool. You can also check what the Local Overture bid on those terms are. You can use Advanced Search on Google to verify you results. You can have a look at the Local Adwords via an Anonymous Proxy. You can in short evaluate the domain just as you would an English one. Just because you know what the term means, doesn't mean that it worth anything. Analysis is the key to good investment. Believe me at the start of this I was flying by the seat of my pants. Picked up some good stuff but a lot of rubbish. I would say that I make many fewer mistakes now than then! But then I couldn't even get a Google Score in some languages!

The point with IDN is can spend a bit of time, because the terms that will book should be worth at least 50x what you pay for them and I would think that some of mine will get to 10,000 times the orginal registration fee before I sell, if selling is actually what I still into!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry I'm late to the party here.

I'd plug in my 2 cents for an appraisal value in the form you'd understand Dave, but I can't for the life of me find out how you make all those little square boxes.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:
Online translator are very useful but not to be trusted. I am having to junk a lot of Arabic domains. Not because the translator was wrong but simply because it was too correct. Included a lot additional symbols that just get missed in practice.

However, that is not to say translators are useless they are a starting point. Goolge scores give you a very quick indication of whether you are on the right tracks. Japan is a breeze as they have their own Local Overture Search Tool. You can also check what the Local Overture bid on those terms are. You can use Advanced Search on Google to verify you results. You can have a look at the Local Adwords via an Anonymous Proxy. You can in short evaluate the domain just as you would an English one. Just because you know what the term means, doesn't mean that it worth anything. Analysis is the key to good investment. Believe me at the start of this I was flying by the seat of my pants. Picked up some good stuff but a lot of rubbish. I would say that I make many fewer mistakes now than then! But then I couldn't even get a Google Score in some languages!

The point with IDN is can spend a bit of time, because the terms that will book should be worth at least 50x what you pay for them and I would think that some of mine will get to 10,000 times the orginal registration fee before I sell, if selling is actually what I still into!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

In other words, very tedious work - i think we all know.

Stocdoctor said:
Sorry I'm late to the party here.

I'd plug in my 2 cents for an appraisal value in the form you'd understand Dave, but I can't for the life of me find out how you make all those little square boxes.

You need to use UTF-8 encoding, try using firefox.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Once you have the main web pages you require Bookmarked ( I do use Firefox), it takes but a few minutes.

Actually, he probably just needs to get his Chinese and Japanese Fonts installed, which are not installed as defaults on XP.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Go on spill the beans, I am curious. I have a few Oil rich capitals and some that are just Megacities.

Dave Wrixon

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Slovak for Slovakia, and capital of Oman in Arabic - nothing to shout about, just hope to earn some ppc money, and gloat in owning a bit of a country. And maybe hope for an offer from the Sultan of Oman :)

There are still some smallish Arab Africa country .com available, and many Arabic .nets. These might be worth some money in the long term.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, I missed that one. Cities are hot property. Its not the Sultan that you are after but a Web developer that wants to launch a portal for service within that city everything from Haircut to Hotels. You need an Arabic speaking developer of which there are at least a couple on this forum, who is convinced of the viability of Arabic IDN of which there are none.

We have Cairo, Khartoum, Tripoli, Abu Dhabi, Casa Blanca, Mosul, Basra, Alexandria, Benghazi as dot coms and quite a few more as dot net including Bagdad. Be careful with Arabic though, because written forms can variey a lot. Use the Normal Overture Tool and Google to try and test if you really have not so much what is correct, but what is actually going to be used. Arabic is probably the most ambigious language to deal with, with Chinese being the least, even when including English.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You guys do get into heated battles huh...
The other forum I created is to examine how far the market has gone already & provide info from the perspective of someone who is a web develeper residing in Tokyo, Japan.

I think the confusion is DN Forums is a real business tool for all domainers & as businessmen (& ladies) most have the right to choose which form of the Domain business they want to enter. Some people don't like adult domains, some swear by it, some don't like registereing every new trend, some do.

When you're American you have to remember all the people that you know that instantly freak out at the hint of a language like Chinese, or Japanese. It's a reality, I mean even the big boys pay well for someone else to handle international marketing for Asia.

The facts is we have seen that the search engines have already implemented the use of IDNs, most just don't know it yet. I think I have provided info that just wasn't thought of yet about IDNs. People in Japan are trying to search for domains & company names by the native characters & they are also trying to plug in native Japanese .coms what's stopping traffic is IE, I have one IDN domain from a company that promotes it's dot com as the Native Japanese but didn't own the IDN so I bought it & redirected it to their site just so I can see what kind of type ins it is getting. It gets more than 5 type ins a day & I'm sure that's from Mac users only.

There's no arguement that IDNs are just plain easier for Asia plus the availability makes it more tempting.

I think the main thing that get's feathers ruffled here is next year (hopefully) the new IE will be in use. No domain that is put up for appraisal is instantly sold. When those who put up IDNs ask for appraisal we are usually asking for potential value in that market.

We try to even provide detailed stats.
For example I have one IDN
2 character Translation of Job Placement company

Overture stats 122,491OVT last month out of Japan
Yahoo Japan search results: 48,100,000
Google.co.jp search results: 8,200,000
Overture Bid Tool Average $4.50 (converted from yen)

Even providing the stats I'm almost positive someone is going to say it's worth just registration fee. Even though we are asking for future potential of the IDN. Even with stats like that how could it be just registration fee.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just one remark here. Some people seem to think as if when ie7 is released we will see a rush on IDNs.
The fact is, alternate browsers already account for more than 10% of market share and growing.
http://www.e-janco.com/browser.htm
Those browsers are almost all IDN-enabled. How is it that we don't see more traffic ?
I think it will take more than just replacing a browser for IDNs to take off. Time is the essence.
Personally I use Opera and ie is buried deep... I don't have any limitations as it comes to IDNs. Many users are not even aware of any limitations either.

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can't talk about everywhere but I can talk about Tokyo & Japan because I'm here right now & have years working in actually Japanese companies even though I'm American.

Every person or company will not immediately upgrade but the fact is most Japanese who use Windows are not even aware there are other browsers. So from the Japan perspective sadly IE is extremely dominant on a PC. This IDN thing really doesn't affect the US market so why should US companies even collect data?

I'm a Mac user & didn't even know IDNs couldn't be accessed through a PC at first. When Japanese people see a website in Kanji (Japanese characters) currently do you realize how the majority of them access that web site?

The put the term in Yahoo Japan or Google Japan because they can not automatically take a domain name & write it in English. I've watched people in my office, friends, etc & almost everytime this is the process.

IDNs will allow them to do a one step process they can remember & correctly write a Japanese term plus .com at the end instantly.

Things in Tokyo catch on quick. Also there's someone like me who's actually in the Japanese media who has access to promote these domains... (But that's the secret part)

Also that study... Most statistics that people give are really US based. Most marketers give lots of data on things but most of the time when you speak about IDNs it's better to collect data from the specific country you target. I know that Japan has a higher than world average of Mac Users & from my own stats I believe that most traffic is coming from Mac users.

If I didn't start writing info about IDNs I doubt that Japanese are going to start sharing knowledge in English. Too much competition. The Western world already owns a large portion of the good regular domains. I belive it will take about the end of next year before we see IDNs start being promoted here in Tokyo.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MSN is really popular in China, and many parts of Asia, and it is tied to IE - at least when checking emails. I have firefox but rarely use it because i would use msn to login to my inbox and end up using IE.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Olney said:
Imost Japanese who use Windows are not even aware there are other browsers. So from the Japan perspective sadly IE is extremely dominant on a PC.
Trust me, this is also true in the U.S., and Canada, and A LOT of other countries around the world, regardless of how some Firefox enthusiasts trying hard to project otherwise.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:
Yes, I missed that one. Cities are hot property. Its not the Sultan that you are after but a Web developer that wants to launch a portal for service within that city everything from Haircut to Hotels. You need an Arabic speaking developer of which there are at least a couple on this forum, who is convinced of the viability of Arabic IDN of which there are none.

We have Cairo, Khartoum, Tripoli, Abu Dhabi, Casa Blanca, Mosul, Basra, Alexandria, Benghazi as dot coms and quite a few more as dot net including Bagdad. Be careful with Arabic though, because written forms can variey a lot. Use the Normal Overture Tool and Google to try and test if you really have not so much what is correct, but what is actually going to be used. Arabic is probably the most ambigious language to deal with, with Chinese being the least, even when including English.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Is there an overture for Arabic? Arabic overture scores using the default tool are really pitiful. As compared to Chinese idns, i think there's still a lot of Arabic terms that are available.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
Trust me, this is also true in the U.S., and Canada, and A LOT of other countries around the world, regardless of how some Firefox enthusiasts trying hard to project otherwise.

I think it is reasonable to conclude then the numbers actually set up to use IDN browsing are at the moment very small, except in China were there is substantial traffic due to Government assisted distribution of plug in. There is traffic in China but it only seems to come out in short spurts and then disappears again.

The bottom line is that if only a few individuals are geared up then the traffic that we are getting is already very encouraging and once IE 7.0 is distributed widely should be absolutely astounding!!!

touchring said:
Is there an overture for Arabic? Arabic overture scores using the default tool are really pitiful. As compared to Chinese idns, i think there's still a lot of Arabic terms that are available.

The Overture in Arabic reflects the low penetration of the Internet in Arabic Countries and the low penetration of Yahoo, which has only just indexed the language. Highest I have is on Games which is 67063, which is a dot net. I have about 40 domains with a score greater than 1000. What you need to assess is how many internet users are there in Arabic Countries and how many of those terms will extend to Farsi and Urdu, which use the same basic script. My single character Alphabetics will certainly be access by the large Urdu speaking populous in India, as well as Persia, Afghanistan and Iran. Furthermore the same language are used in Central Asia, but currently officially written in Cyrillics, but that situation could potentially change.

In terms of numbers the Arabic Market is small, and most people living in those areas are not wealthy, but the recent much higher oil prices will have a big impact. The day of $10 crude is long gone!

This subject is very involved and this is not the place to go too much deeper. There is an Arabic Forum at IDNForums and I would be happy to go into this in more depth there.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom