Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Could buying VirginIslands.co trademark infringement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoriso

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am looking into .co's but I am weary of trademark infringements. I noticed that people/businesses trademark places like Virgin Islands which is both a place and a trademarked item (currently Dead status)

Ofcourse the domain I am looking at is NOT VirginIslands.co but it suits this discussion. If I could have bought VirginIslands.co to develop as a real estate blog with Ads while the TM was alive did the owner have any recourse even though Virgin Islands specialized in alcoholic bevarages. (shown here: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4003:j3omv2.3.43)

Please help with any info.

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer, but my common sense says, they could not get you on TM infrigement, as you would be in "real estate" about an existing place.

Thoriso

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That sucks because the search in such cases is high without big competition for SEO. I had a feeling you would say that.
Thanks for the validation though. Such a wasted opportunity.

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That sucks because the search in such cases is high without big competition for SEO. I had a feeling you would say that.
Thanks for the validation though. Such a wasted opportunity.

sorry don't get it. Why does it suck ? If they cannot get you on TM issue, then you are good to go.

Thoriso

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't explain well. The .co domain I am looking at is a real estate trademark and my expertise is real estate blogs. I looked carefully at the patent and they are registered for the entire domain name. They own the .com .net and .org of the TM term and their lawyers are a big law firm in New York. They have not registered the .co domain. The phrase is in their logos, everywhere but the phrase is high level and describes a place. It can be branded as yaghting, renting, travel anything and these greedy bastards TM blocked it.

The only brave soul owns the .biz and he does not even display his name. Just Urlcollection.com as the administrator name and contact.

I could file a TM in South Africa and go for it but the blog will have to talk about real estate in their neighborhood and its a multi million dollar neighborhood. Thats why I didn't even discuss this openly in the Platinum forum.

The thing that bugs me is that this is a great opportunity to "play" with something worthwhile and build an online identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators