Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Court order regarding the Domain for which you are the registrant (Enom)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molotov

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I got such email month ago but i didnt notice it on time - its for a domain that i bought lately so not sure what it might be exactly about.
Hello,
We are eNom, the ICANN accredited registrar for your domain name XXXXXXXX.com (the “Domain”). We have received the attached court order regarding the Domain for which you are the registrant. It is our policy to comply with court orders issued by a U.S. state or federal court. We are in the process of confirming the details of this court order. While we do so, please inform us immediately if you will appeal this court order. Provided that we can confirm the details of the court order, we will comply within forty-eight (48) hours of this notice unless the order requires compliance earlier or if you provide us with valid proof showing that you have filed an appeal or are otherwise contesting the court order through appropriate legal means.
Regards,
Legal Department
eNom / Bulk Register

Demand Media
www.demandmedia.com
5808 Lake Washington Blvd.
Ste. 300
Kirkland, WA 98033

email legal[at]eNom.com
legal fax 1-425-298-2795

Its over a month and i didnt act on this, nor reply and nothing happened [no suspension or futher emails]. Is that thing even possible or its a scam email? Court order on a domain? I got 2 pdf attachments with said 'court order' ?

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well what did the "attached" court order say, exactly?

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Court order on a domain?

Sure. Just because a domain's not tangible doesn't mean a court judgement can't apply to it, depending on the situation.

As Cartoonz said, look at the PDFs with the court order. It might even be an "in rem" decision. (look up "in rem" online...)

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I would immediately transfer the domain name to another registrar.

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I would immediately transfer the domain name to another registrar.

That's not going to solve anything. If this is a real order, it won't be possible anyway.

If it were me, I'd READ the document before I made any decision whatsoever.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The court order should have a case # on it, as well as the court that issued the order.. Go to the County Judicial web site and do a search on it, If it's real, the case will pull up.

Molotov

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The order is preety long and it seems such 'text' was sent to around 150 domains that had some brand inside. My domain doesnt have the brand in name [my domai nis purely generic] but it seems it did rank for some brand terms in past [hey ranking is not a crime right?].
I will move domain to other registrar tho because Enom sometimes suspends domains for no reason ;x

Coldforce

Coldforce.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is only one way to stay safe, transfer the names to a registry that is not based in united states......

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The order is preety long and it seems such 'text' was sent to around 150 domains that had some brand inside. My domain doesnt have the brand in name [my domai nis purely generic] but it seems it did rank for some brand terms in past [hey ranking is not a crime right?].
I will move domain to other registrar tho because Enom sometimes suspends domains for no reason ;x

Hmm, so it seems to be your "average" domain-trademark dispute. Look in the court order, though, for anything to the effect that the domain/s might be locked.

Generally, registrars lock domains upon receipt of court orders specifically for such. And you might want to find a lawyer versed in these things if it turns out the domain's indeed locked because of this, and if you want to fight it.

There is only one way to stay safe, transfer the names to a registry that is not based in united states......

If indeed you mean RegistRY, you'd have to register under a different extension. If you mean by registRAR, there have been few cases where the registrar's location doesn't matter as long as it's a .com, given that its RegistRY is in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom