Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Criteria for good Domains

Dan73

Level 2
Reaction score
Hi
I was thinking to change my strategy of finding good domains which I want to sell. What do you think about registering domains that fit to the ear solely? For example today I came up with few names: thinkerbell (like tinkerbell), playtechtonics (like plate tectonics, which i remember from my geology studies...) and coindoor (like condor). They are all taken. Does it mean the market likes easy sound domains?

Domain summit 2024
Reaction score
Regardless of the sound how would you make money with a site related to plate tectonics? I think the key is not to look for domains that you *hope* someone will want someday (ie brandable) but to find domains that could have a use for *lots* of people and therefore a clear route to monetisation. You can very easily spend millions on made-up terms hoping one day to get a lottery sale but this is not a way to guarantee earnings and a surefire way to go broke. I have seen people registering thousands of dollars worth of bad 'brandable' domains when they could have spent all that money on just one domain with established monetisation and prospects and built on that with an earning capacity already in place.

Dan73

Level 2
Reaction score
Recently I checked in the dictionary hundreds of words that began wirh the letter a. It was unbelievable. All of them were already taken. Not only with com extension, but net, co, org and info as well. That makes me wonder if any word left untaken by now. That is why I thought to change strategy.
Is it allowed to put here few examples of my future domains (not registered yet) to get your opinion if my way if thinking is logical?

Reaction score
Yes you can discuss strategies in this domain discussion forum you just can't post any domains for appraisal that you don't own in the appraisal forum.
There are currently 136,051,353 .com registered (I have domain lists at tldzonefile.com) so it is inevitable that most dictionary domains will be registered already. However only a tiny fraction of them actually *provide* anything or a service that people will pay for. A lot of people have fallen into the trap of registering dictionary domains because 'well they must be worth something because they are dictionary domains' mentality. This is not the case. I think this is the 'greater fool' theory where resellers are pushing to other resellers based on an assumption that the domains have value - eventually someone will be left holding the domain with no route to monetisation and no potential buyers. Remember that anyone can ask anything they want for their domains - it doesn't mean that is the market value.

When looking at a domain this is the thought process I go through:

1) What could this domain be used for? If I can't sell it what can I realistically do to make money from it. If I don't know what it means or can't see a path to money ultimately I don't register it.
2) Who would my potential clients be? If I was to sell it what could it be used for by a buyer and how many people (important) would be interested in it. What kind of budgets would they most likely have? Could I possibly persuade someone that it has value or will be worth them buying. I see a lot of domains registered with only one or two *specific* potential buyers - if they don't want it then what?
3) Is there a standard and already existing 'market value' for this domain if I want to sell it tomorrow? This refers mainly to 3 letter domains, personal names etc. They have liquid value - ie I could sell them tomorrow for at least what I paid for it.

Brandable domains do not fall into these. Neither do dictionary (without obvious meaning) domains. It always amazes me that people will think words like 'presupposed' or the like would have value just because it is in the dictionary. I'm not saying don't hold a handful of domains that you are prepared to sit on for years (decades) hoping for that one lottery type sale but this will not put food on your table.

Dan73

Level 2
Reaction score
First I really appreciate the comprehensive answer!
I think you convinced me to leave the dictionary and act according the principles you detailed.
Allow me to wrote here an example of one of my unregistered domains (not for appraisal):
Captaintourboat.com- for tourists traveling by boats. On one hand a well known type of tour around the world. On the other hand very niche-specified. I think it fits what you wrote in section 1 and 2, since it has potential usecand clients.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A lot of people have fallen into the trap of registering dictionary domains because 'well they must be worth something because they are dictionary domains' mentality.
This is not the case.
I think this is the 'greater fool' theory where resellers are pushing to other resellers based on an assumption that the domains have value - eventually someone will be left holding the domain with no route to monetisation and no potential buyers.

Remember that anyone can ask anything they want for their domains - it doesn't mean that is the market value.

Rob hit the head of the nail on that point above.
so many fall into that pool and waste money based on assumption.

even when you try to tell them, they think you are trying to deceive them, because somebody else already brainwashed their mind first.

Allow me to wrote here an example of one of my unregistered domains (not for appraisal):
Captaintourboat.com- for tourists traveling by boats. On one hand a well known type of tour around the world. On the other hand very niche-specified. I think it fits what you wrote in section 1 and 2, since it has potential usecand clients.

there are prolly thousands of established boat tours locally across every region of the world, not to mention "cruises" is the keyword for long distance travel on water
and that market is basically locked up

so to me, that name wouldn't have any appeal on that scale.

i prefer to snag names that i think people would still type in their browser or names which are appealing to a broader range, than one or two potentials.

also, think whether you would buy that name from somebody else and how much you would pay for it...... before you register any more domain names

imo....

Jerry Peres

Account Terminated
Reaction score
All the given suggestions are good for me, because I also want to start the domain selling business. Thanks.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators