Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Denmark(dot)net

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am sure you are thrilled with these estimates, but I am equally sure you paid a lot less for the name. My guess is that the value of the name is closer to the purchase price than the appraisal price, but that's what makes a horse race.

It is tough to appraise .nets, but If you could get 25K for this right now by running a thread in this forum I would be really surprised.

1. Thank you for your post
2. I thrilled??? Anybody else but not me.
3. I have paid xx,xxx for this name, bud.
4. How much would you appraise Denmark(dot)com ?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Great geographical name. Traffic & revenue are unrelated to its intrinsic value.
I would say $40k to $75k but anything goes. Denmark as a technology-driven nation possesses the type of corporations or organizations that would love to own it.

SamBam

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
1. Thank you for your post
2. I thrilled??? Anybody else but not me.
3. I have paid xx,xxx for this name, bud.
4. How much would you appraise Denmark(dot)com ?

I would appraise Denmark.cok in the millions, but I do not believe that .nets are worth even close to the 10-15 percent of dotcoms that most poeple think. There have only been a handful of .nets in the history of the domain name business that have sold for life-changing money, or could sell for life-changing money.

Those metrics are way off. Anyone spending 50K on a name like this would be getting close to zero type-in traffic, and therefore zero revenue. Then, if they wanted to build a site they would be giving free traffic to the dotcom owners.

I think that these type of .nets and incomprehensible three letter dotcoms are two of the areas where the names have less value than peope think. I know there is a market for QZX type of names, but they don't make a lot of sense.

Denmark.net looks good, but if I could choose Door A and have Denmark.net or Door B and have $20,000 cash, then I am taking Door B and then going to the bank and depositing the money.

If you have received PMs from these appraisers offering $30,000 or so then I will believe you, but I bet you haven't received any offers in that range.

Denmark.com is almost priceless. Denmark.whatever is not. I don't think there have been 10 .nets that have sold for six figures.....in the history of the world. There probably haven't even been 100 .nets that have sold for five figures.....ever. I am not saying there aren't 100 .nets worth five figures, but I bet there haven't been 100 sales at $10,000 and up.....not even close.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
but I bet there haven't been 100 sales at $10,000 and up.....not even close.

It's good to know I own 5% of that figure. :rolleyes:

Lelt alone the argument that appraisals should be accompanied by a check for the same amount, or that DNForum is the selling capital of the world. We already had that argument in another thread.

Stop thinking about traffic and clicks for a moment as the sole valuation model; it only matters when you're selling to other resellers.

SamBam

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It's good to know I own 5% of that figure. :rolleyes:

Lelt alone the argument that appraisals should be accompanied by a check for the same amount, or that DNForum is the selling capital of the world. We already had that argument in another thread.

Stop thinking about traffic and clicks for a moment as the sole valuation model; it only matters when you're selling to other resellers.

I am against the revenue model as well....for great dotcoms. However, all names must eventually find an end-user to create maximum value, so if you think that people are going to invest close to 100K in this .net and bleed traffic to the dotcom then you know more about people than I do.

People who own .nets rarely get end-user inquiries for serious money. They may get domainers inquiring, but not many .nets are coveted.

Denmark.net is a good name, but I challenge anyone making an appraisal in this thread to offer 75 percent of their appraisal and buy the name right now.

There is no urgency to get this name. It will be availabe tomorrow. If it were a dotcom that was truly worth mid-five figures then there would be a rush of people looking to buy it before this thread got any bigger. A dotcom worth five figures can be worth six figures a lot sooner than a good .net can.

There is a ceiling for most every extention other than dotcom, whereas a great dotcom can go up in value exponentially in a short period of time.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Maybe you missed the first part of my response?

I have sold 5 .net domains for more than $10k a piece. And - by my very own admission - I am "small fish". So your logic - with no proof - that no more than 100 .net domains have sold for more than $10k is severely flawed.

As much as the requirement that appraisals need to come with a check for the appraised amount.

The same goes for .org domains and several other "lowly" TLD's. You'd be surprised to see how such valuations here don't mean squat when you're dealing with a non-domainer. They will get the domain because they want the keyword; if they can afford the .com they will get that first.

The biggest truth of all time: new TLD's come out every so often to feed the craving for keywords that are no longer available at reasonable prices in the existing TLD's. Think about it.

SamBam

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe you missed the first part of my response?

I have sold 5 .net domains for more than $10k a piece. And - by my very own admission - I am "small fish". So your logic - with no proof - that no more than 100 .net domains have sold for more than $10k is severely flawed.

As much as the requirement that appraisals need to come with a check for the appraised amount.

The same goes for .org domains and several other "lowly" TLD's. You'd be surprised to see how such valuations here don't mean squat when you're dealing with a non-domainer. They will get the domain because they want the keyword; if they can afford the .com they will get that first.

The biggest truth of all time: new TLD's come out every so often to feed the craving for keywords that are no longer available at reasonable prices in the existing TLD's. Think about it.

We'll just have to disagree then. I don't think there have been many more than 100 .net sales over 10K, and I am fairly certain that you can count on one hand the .net sales over 100K. That is out of millions of .nets.

The gap between dotcom gets wider every day; not closer. There are many names in dotcom that are worth millions, but most of these other extentions are very limited.

There is very little chance for someone to buy Denmark.net for 50K and then make a life changing profit from it, while there are many opportunities to buy a good dotcom for 50K and then sell it shortly thereafter for life-changing money.

I cannot imagine a circumstance where the price gap between dotcom and other extentions narrows over time. It will only widen by a large margin.

If you can make money trading .nets then I congratulate you on that. I am sure people do it every day. I know that many people trade two and three letter .nets for decent money, but I am not a big fan of those names.....for obvious reasons.

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SamBam, so how much do you think .net domain names worth?

In the previous post you mentioned: "I would appraise Denmark.com in the millions, but I do not believe that .nets are worth even close to the 10-15 percent of dotcoms"

Ok, so Denmark.com worth for you millions, let's say 1 million, you think .net forth less
than 10-15, meaning it cost less than $100k (10% of one million). I think that Denmark.net is not worth 100k, but I think it can be sold for $50k. You should understand that if you are not aware about .net sales, that doesn't mean that the sales don't exist. I paid 5 digits for at least 25 domain names, and in many cases low-mid 5digits. I can't mention here domain names that I sold, but many names that I own I can mention if it will help you to change your opinion.

SamBam

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
SamBam, so how much do you think .net domain names worth?

In the previous post you mentioned: "I would appraise Denmark.com in the millions, but I do not believe that .nets are worth even close to the 10-15 percent of dotcoms"

Ok, so Denmark.com worth for you millions, let's say 1 million, you think .net forth less
than 10-15, meaning it cost less than $100k (10% of one million). I think that Denmark.net is not worth 100k, but I think it can be sold for $50k. You should understand that if you are not aware about .net sales, that doesn't mean that the sales don't exist. I paid 5 digits for at least 25 domain names, and in many cases low-mid 5digits. I can't mention here domain names that I sold, but many names that I own I can mention if it will help you to change your opinion.

I do not think Denmark.net is a bad name, and I am sure some of those who are appraising it for mid-five figures would pay very low five figures for it, and I also know that a small percentage of sales are officially reported. I still say that there are only a handul of six figure .net sales ever, and I am still betting under on 100 five figure sales.....certainly not too many five figure end-user sales.

I believe Denmark.com is worth over one million and Denmark.net is worth under 5 percent of that. If the name gets sold for more than I think then the buyer places a higher value on the name than I do. If more than one or two people are ready to pay 50K for the name right now then I am obviously wrong about the value.

Dr Nump

Call me Doc !
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well , everyone has his own ideas and his appraisals too .
$30k plus fees IMO .

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
and I am still betting under on 100 five figure sales.....certainly not too many five figure end-user sales.

Built on flawed logic, anything is possible.

Statistically, it's impossible for a small portfolio holder that specializes in dictionary domains (myself) to claim 5% of a market. So if I had 5 .net sales at $xx,xxx a piece, I'm certain that many others who entered the domain business before I did, had many more sales in the same bracket.

We are talking about 12 to almost 14 years of active commercial Internet, since .net is one of the original 3 TLDs.

Thomas Nash

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, saying there is under 100 xx,xxx sales of .net is really ridiculous. I bet if you looked around this forum you would find a few, and remember you don't hear about most sales.

Have a look on DNJ, just this year theres been xx,xxx .net sales.

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am sure that there have been more than 100 .net sales over 10k so far, no doubt, but I think its obviously a lot harder to find an end user for .nets than it is for .coms.
Although I think this name is worth more than 10k to a reseller I agree that .nets are not worth even 10% of the .com value.
In my experience non .com domains have a very wide span at what they could sell for at auction, could be a lot higher or a lot lower than expected, which is why the span between reseller prices and end user prices are usually a multiple than for .coms.
I think many people feel that on average the ration between reseller and end user prices for .coms is about 4-1, for .nets I would say its at least 10-1.
I am a fan however of the basic idea of "appraisals should be accompanied by a check approach", maybe not to that extreme, but I think its a good way of at least thinking about reseller value before just throwing a number out there.

Poohnix

Lost @Space
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Before I went into domains, I had mostly .net domains for my own businesses and web sites. My oldest domain, no longer used in my business other than for email, is a .net. But I admit I had the .com version too, but I sold that in '99 for $3000. Probably the best deal I've ever made, (I was just about to drop that part of my business anyway), and a proof that the value of .com may sometimes be hyped to. That domain has been dropped at least once since then, and is still only parked.
Depending on what it's for, many .net is often as good as a .com in the end users eyes. I know, I was an end user, not domainer, for many years. In domainers eyes it's different.
I've already appraised this domain, and stand by my appraisal.

SamBam

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Built on flawed logic, anything is possible.

Statistically, it's impossible for a small portfolio holder that specializes in dictionary domains (myself) to claim 5% of a market. So if I had 5 .net sales at $xx,xxx a piece, I'm certain that many others who entered the domain business before I did, had many more sales in the same bracket.

We are talking about 12 to almost 14 years of active commercial Internet, since .net is one of the original 3 TLDs.

I don't think that there have been many .net sales for serious money....period. Whether it is 100 or 500, that is still a very low number when there are millions of names. It certainly cannot be 1,000 .net sales for at least five figures. It is even impossible that you are close to the lead with your five .net sales in that range.

People just don't knock down doors to get .nets. If you are going go knock down doors as a speculator I still maintain that a 50K purchase of a good dotcom has a far greater chance to change your life than a 50K purchase of a .net. I think most every .net has a certain ceiling that the dotcom doesn't have, and there are just a few .nets in the whole world that are automatic life changers if you owned them.

We can get the answer real quick by placing this name in an offers thread. Let's see who is ready to put up their own money.

This is a good thread. I am thinking if the name was just acquired for XX,XXX, then it was likely between 10K and 15k...probably closer to 10K. If that is the case then it is also likely that the seller had never received a higher offer.

My final word is that it is a good name, but worth low XX,XXX.

Good luck with the name and I hope it gets sold for $100,000.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Whether it is 100 or 500
I love how your ranges change, depending on alternate views.

The point is, you have no data to back up such a claim.

We can get the answer real quick by placing this name in an offers thread. Let's see who is ready to put up their own money.

Actually, no we don't. The owner is asking for an evaluation. When evaluating a domain, you need to disconnect yourself from your own financial capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom