Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

developed Developed Website: VirtualDN.com | (To be decided) | Domain market simulation - 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

compuXP

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domain Name: VirtualDN.com

Registrar: GoDaddy

Price: (To be decided)

Type of website: Domain market simulation - 100% Original and Unique!

I started www.virtualdn.com in August 2005. VirtualDN is a domain name market game: the only one on the Internet today. 100% original concept and custom-coded. 100% custom-coded, that is, except for the forums, which are even customized to integrate nearly seamlessly with the rest of vDN.

You can see a log of events until March 21, 2006 here: www.virtualdn.com/eventlog.com

I guess I should explain briefly how this works: users register fake (virtual) domains using game dollars (25 to start with). The domains can then be sold/traded at the marketplace in the forums. When a user registers on VirtualDN, an email is activated. After activation (again, all 100% coded by me),
a user account is automatically setup for them on the SMF boards, to integrate nearly seamlessly... just 2 logins and 2 diff. cookies.

The forums have been modified to give out game dollars for posts in all but the games board.

Quickly, read how it works: http://www.virtualdn.com/howitworks.php

It comes with a nearly fully functional administration panel. I have not had a chance to get the site 100% completed and out of beta, but it's 95% there.

The numerous features that the site is equipped with is as follows (caution: long list!)

* Secure domain registration. No SSL here, but several security features added to prevent cheaters including session verification, auto-defense systems (yeah, that sounds cool, but it's not THAT cool), regular expressions, etc.

* A feature of secure domain registration is an auto-ban system. Any suspected cheaters will be automatically banned, and a notice will be sent to the site admin explaining the situation. This occurs by accident sometimes if a user refreshes during registration, or hits the back button.

* Auto-Renewal options, on or off

* Registration length from 1 year to 10 years

* Flexible domain pricing

* Full editing capability of any domain in your portfolio

* Domain development options - you can actually turn your virtual domain into a 100%, fully-featured PHP/MySQL or ASP/Access powered site if you want, using the power of IFRAME 100% tags, or you can just do small HTML/Javascript pages. Domain is always accessable as virtualdn.com/domain.com

* Drop capability

* Domain/game dollar transaction features

* Virtual trademark registry. Granted, it could use improvements, but there were times when there were little legal wars over trademarks. It's quite fun actually, during those trials in the chat room.

* Trademark registry search

* TuFAT.com Flashchat script for live chat in forums, 100% integrated

* Email address activation upon user registration

* Statistics of domains registered, developed sites, etc.

* Parking pages. People can build their own parking services like Sedo or use the default VirtualDN one, here's an example: http://www.virtualdn.com/links.com - upon getting unique clicks, the domain owner gets 15 cents per click. These site links were bought on ******** for use for 6 months. They can be changed at your choice.

* Reseller program. Users can become domain resellers and make a huge profit by setting up their own virtual registrars, as long as official VirtualDN prices are higher than $6 ;) - this feature is not complete, it is taking too much time for me as it involves building APIs and other things, but can be done. It has a foundation. The base to it is called "ROMI" - registrar owners' management interface. Each registrar gets a secret hash code to use the APIs with. It's a slick system, when it works. You'll have to finish that.

* This is cool: a VirtualDN web browser. I've been working on a tabbed browser version, but never completed it (Visual Basic code). I may someday, but it's a browser designed specifically and only for vDN sites. Instead of typing virtualdn.com/, you just type the domain and it automatically adds the virtualdn.com behind the scenes.

* Admin panel controls include recent registrations, so that you can weed out the vulgar domains from appropriate ones: next to each option are some links: B&D, B, and D. B&D bans the domain keywords in all extentions and deletes the name. B just bans it, and D just deletes that domain. A notice is automatically sent to the owner of the domain. You can go back as many pages as you want, too.

* Another one is recent domain pushes: somebody setting up multiple accounts? If they send all their domains to another account, you'll know. A similar one is recent monetary transactions (game money) - so if somebody sends $25 to another account just after registration, you can assume they're cheating.

* Other admin panel features are editing the marquee text and the announcement on the side. "Manage Members" has an encoding issue that can be fixed by editing the file in a proper PHP editor then uploading it. I've been too busy to do that.

* The other admin panel feature is to approve or deny trademark filing requests. Notices are automatically sent to the users.

* Registration blocks same IP addresses, email addresses, first/last name combos, etc... to make sure each person only gets 1 account.

* WHOIS lookup. (virtual domains, of course. no real domains involved in this game)

* Developer accounts. A really neat feature I like that allows users to hire programmers to build their virtual domain websites for them, without getting access to the entire account. It's basically giving somebody permission to develop somebody else's domain: and it works pretty well.

* A leader board: http://www.virtualdn.com/leaders.php - to entice activity

* FAQ: http://www.virtualdn.com/faq.php

* Incomplete articles: http://www.virtualdn.com/articles/index.php designed to help boost PR.

* This site is a PR hoard. Any sites developed on virtual domains boost VirtualDN's pagerank, and each site even gets their own by Google! In fact, those developed sites are listed in search engines as virtualdn.com/whatever-domain.com !

* Game dollars (vDN$ unofficially) can be bought and sold at the vDN Exchange, much like DN$ or NP$.

As you can see, there's many, many features.

VirtualDN just needs a little marketing and simple advertising to get off the ground. It used to get over 1,000 uniques per month:

TRAFFIC STATS HERE: 2005
TRAFFIC STATS HERE: 2006

I admit, traffic decreased. My advertising campaign from N-A-M-E-P-R-O-S (what, that's censored 'round here??) ran out, and traffic oddly dropped during Christmas time. But, in the first month, it got 1000 uniques more than the last month. That was through active marketing. If you can link to it, you're good, whether by paid ads or link exchanges.

Revenue was never much to consider, since I didn't set it up for profit as a goal. The donations brought in around $100, some in $5 and some in $35 increments. Ads brought in maybe a dollar to 5 dollars per day: not worth proving.

I've received only complements from it, people saying it's a good idea, etc. Mostly, teenagers and lower-twenties' aged people would use it, as older don't have time for simulations like this.

THE BENEFITS OF VIRTUALDN: It gives domain and Internet-industry newcomers a chance to develop, learn, and create without needing to pay ANYTHING. Without the need for hosting, without the need for a "homeless" feel, because they know they have the vDN community to help them and learn the tricks of the trade with. They can learn how to sell domains, and what are good to buy.

Note that the economy at vDN is becoming more saturated as time goes on: the most valuable domain there is maybe worth $100 max, not millions like in today's world. It is a simulation: please remember. It is a closed simulation.

FROM THE VIRTUALDN DETAILED STATS PAGE:

Domains in Registry: 1,308
Number of Members: 391
Accumulated Registration Count: 1,377
Number of Banned Domain Keywords: 18
Total Money Spent on Registrations: $8,082.30

As for the way it's coded, it's not exactly the most user-friendly to configure. When the sale ends, I'm not going to leave you on a desserted island to figure things out: you will be able to, as the new owner, contact me with questions via AIM, YIM, MSN, ICQ, or email - even phone if you wish - and I will give you a hand, because I know what it's like.

So there you go, 100% free lifetime unlimited support with your purchase.

Now, I discuss pricing: I've been offered $4,500 for the site but turned it down. Why? I thought I could finish it and get more for it. Well, I was offered a few times for around $400 to sell the SCRIPT so they could make copies of VirtualDN as their own. I refused those, because I want it to stay unique.

I -AM- looking for figures in the $x,xxx range or higher.

Final price is negotiable. I do not have a set date on closing of offers at this time.

** Offers can be sent via PM or by REPLY - only one of those two, please, within DNF only. **

Payment would be via PayPal, depending on final sale price. If in 5 figure range, Escrow may be used.

Questions/comments/offers? Please reply or PM. Please do not contact me via IM for this matter.

-- The final buyer must respect the site when purchased... I refuse to sell to somebody that will completely destroy and/or restart the site building it their own way... I have sold too many sites where it was 100% custom coded and the new owner just tore it down and put up their own stuff. That hurts my efforts and lowers my morale. I know, I know, do what you want when it's yours, but this site I still care for a lot. --

Thank you,
-Matt

(PS. My record is 100% clean! I hate scammers - www.mattsprojects.net is my main site. I have brokered the sale of BetaDot, and am highly reputable for my experience. I guarantee a quality and satisfactory transaction.)

This is now a multi-site sale listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom