Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Direct Domain Marketing....new gTLD's

Bulloney

Bulloney and Biscuit
Reaction score
Need a sales pitch to sell your new gTLD's? Check this out.

Domains “Back to the Future”

Tonys.Pizza? or TonysPizza.com?

Imagine for a moment it’s 1985, and Al Gore (wink wink) had just invented the internet. Imagine further that I’m Tony, and I’d started my pizza business in 1975. I’m doing OK, but I learn that customers with a computer can go to an address on the internet and see my menu, see my prices, and order a pizza. Continue to imagine that unlike the phone number and physical address I was assigned, I had a choice for my “new” internet address. The choices were/are; either Tonys.Pizza or TonysPizza.com…….well, DUH!!!

The point is, there’s a new sheriff/domain in town known as nTLD’s, or New Top Level Domains. At least now, we have a choice, but in 1985 we didn’t.

Bulloney

Bulloney and Biscuit
Reaction score
Vtop....I like them a lot. Mostly because they actually make sense. I'm 70 years young, and was a progressive business guy when the first .com came out in 1985. It was a computer company in Massachusetts named Symolics that used the domain name Symbolics.com. Based on the example I shared for Tonys.Pizza, I'm 100% certain that that Symbolics would have chosen Symbolics.Computers because it better identified who Symbolics is/was. I say "was" because they were out of business by 1992.

Vtop, I'm still a progressive business guy, and I promise to put new gTLD's on the map. I own over 1,000 new gTLD's, and I'm so confident about "their" success, I just bought:

Progressive.Domains

Last edited:

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Need a sales pitch to sell your new gTLD's? Check this out.

Domains “Back to the Future”

Tonys.Pizza? or TonysPizza.com?

Imagine for a moment it’s 1985, and Al Gore (wink wink) had just invented the internet. Imagine further that I’m Tony, and I’d started my pizza business in 1975. I’m doing OK, but I learn that customers with a computer can go to an address on the internet and see my menu, see my prices, and order a pizza. Continue to imagine that unlike the phone number and physical address I was assigned, I had a choice for my “new” internet address. The choices were/are; either Tonys.Pizza or TonysPizza.com…….well, DUH!!!

The point is, there’s a new sheriff/domain in town known as nTLD’s, or New Top Level Domains. At least now, we have a choice, but in 1985 we didn’t.

I think the point is that this would be an imagined scenario and this was not how it went. Instead .com was the only practical commercial offering and it spent more than 20 years that way. Having billions and billions of USD spent on promoting it directly through advertising and added to that billions and billions spent through popular culture by having people mentioning .com in movies and other art forms.

You will never unseat that throne through regular market mechanics.

Do you think that .Pizza has billions to spend on marketing?.. Even if they had they would not have the vacuum of the absence of other TLDs to flourish in. There is a market for smaller companies in the ngTLD sphere, and it will surely grow in time, but it will never topple the .com throne.

Bulloney

Bulloney and Biscuit
Reaction score
I think the point is that this would be an imagined scenario and this was not how it went. Instead .com was the only practical commercial offering and it spent more than 20 years that way. Having billions and billions of USD spent on promoting it directly through advertising and added to that billions and billions spent through popular culture by having people mentioning .com in movies and other art forms.

You will never unseat that throne through regular market mechanics.

Do you think that .Pizza has billions to spend on marketing?.. Even if they had they would not have the vacuum of the absence of other TLDs to flourish in. There is a market for smaller companies in the ngTLD sphere, and it will surely grow in time, but it will never topple the .com throne.

I never said it would topple .com, but as a point of information the Pizza industry alone already spends Billions of dollars on advertising. All I'm looking for is a few million dollars spent my way for all the great gTLD's I own. If you saw the survey results I've gathered, you'd pay handsomely for what I know. I don't have to unseat .com to make MILLIONS;)

DMaN

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
gTLDs are interesting to me. I work in finance and we purchased a gTLD in a defensive maneuver. I did see one peer adopt the domain as their primary, but it's been very quiet since. The idea was that the extension could be closely regulated and less prone to spoof sites - of course this assumes that consumers know better.

The other day I noticed another peer used a ccTLD (.cc), which I thought was interesting.

Is there a point of singulairity where .everything will some day overcome or dethrone king .com? Jury is still out on that one. If larger brands move to dot whatever, I think there will eventually be an effect on the market. With that in mind, so much is brokered by Google and Facebook that domains are an interesting but increasingly convoluted aspect of digital branding. It's interesting how quickly the field changed when it comes to affecting market values and whatnot.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Think we have a bit of a miscommunication issue here. I was talking about direct advertising of a TLD not what an entire industry is spending on overall advertising and frankly nothing can even remotely compare to .com.

If you are able to make millions on your gTLDs you would be the first, so I wish you the best of luck with it Richard. It would certainly make a splash.

To follow up on your offer on selling your knowledge; I offer my experiences for free but whether you choose to take them to heart is your choice. But I would say that you could probably save THOUSANDS if you did ;) Wont hold my breath though, I know there is very little respect for experience and expertise these days.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dropped my .pizza domain

imo...

Bulloney

Bulloney and Biscuit
Reaction score
Think we have a bit of a miscommunication issue here. I was talking about direct advertising of a TLD not what an entire industry is spending on overall advertising and frankly nothing can even remotely compare to .com.

If you are able to make millions on your gTLDs you would be the first, so I wish you the best of luck with it Richard. It would certainly make a splash.

To follow up on your offer on selling your knowledge; I offer my experiences for free but whether you choose to take them to heart is your choice. But I would say that you could probably save THOUSANDS if you did ;) Wont hold my breath though, I know there is very little respect for experience and expertise these days.

Castian, It's funny how words can be misconstrued, misinterpreted or simply misunderstood. I don't believe I ever said anything about selling my knowledge? As a matter of fact, my introduction here clearly stated that I wanted to share my knowledge. Your statement, "nothing can even remotely compare to .com" is opinion only. Would you rather own a company named Tonys Pizza or a company named Tony's Pizza Com? The point I'm trying to make goes over most everyone's head, however when they finally get it, you would not believe the reactions I get.
As far as making millions, my portfolio of 1,500 domains consisting of about 1,200 new gTLD's and 300 .coms appraises for well over 1.5 Million dollars. Sure I know appraisals in this business are a huge joke, especially if you're just flipping domains to other domainers, but that's not my intent. I may try and sell a few domains here and there to other domainers, but my target market(s) are the end users. To share a few examples, here is where you may want to sell a portfolio of .golf domains: http://myrtlebeachworldamateur.com/ and here is where you might consider selling a portfolio of .pizza domains : https://www.pizzaexpo.com/ One could make millions just working those two extensions alone. Why do you think registries paid over a quarter of mil each to own these extensions?

That's all I have for now....I'll be playing golf with a friend, a wounded warrior and his service dog Tulip later today. It's important to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our/my freedom. I never served in the military, but I'm so very thankful for those who did. May God Bless each and every one of them and their families. I love all of you!!!

Last edited:

Bulloney

Bulloney and Biscuit
Reaction score
I dropped my .pizza domain

imo...
Biggie...if I just owned a single .pizza domain, and I thought it wasn't perfect for the pizza industry, Id drop it to. I currently own about 25 .pizza domains that appraise for over 25K...a joke I know, but a joke that will help me to sell my domains. I intend to have a portfolio of 50 plus pizza domains before I put them in the domain oven....meaning taking them directly to end users. Good luck!

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Castian, It's funny how words can be misconstrued, misinterpreted or simply misunderstood. I don't believe I ever said anything about selling my knowledge? As a matter of fact, my introduction here clearly stated that I wanted to share my knowledge.

This was in reference to the below quote:

.... If you saw the survey results I've gathered, you'd pay handsomely for what I know. I don't have to unseat .com to make MILLIONS;)

Your statement, "nothing can even remotely compare to .com" is opinion only. Would you rather own a company named Tonys Pizza or a company named Tony's Pizza Com? The point I'm trying to make goes over most everyone's head, however when they finally get it, you would not believe the reactions I get.
As far as making millions, my portfolio of 1,500 domains consisting of about 1,200 new gTLD's and 300 .coms appraises for well over 1.5 Million dollars. Sure I know appraisals in this business are a huge joke, especially if you're just flipping domains to other domainers, but that's not my intent. I may try and sell a few domains here and there to other domainers, but my target market(s) are the end users.

I think my point here is that you are a complete newcomer to the business and your opinion is mostly based on deduction while mine is based on actual primary research I conducted myself (link), more than a decades experience in the industry and actually having sold more than 7 figures worth of domains. So while I applaud your enthusiasm I think you should also listen to those of your peers that have actually done what you are talking about and take their opinions to heart.

Most of us have seen the dynamics behind the introduction of new TLDs many many times before and heard the very same arguments presented again and again. If you know the appraisals are a joke, why do you think you can sell the names at those prices?

I wish you the best of luck with your endeavour but I am of the firm belief that you should focus on the .com portion of your portfolio if you want to make sales today. Regardless I hope you have a great golf game.

Bulloney

Bulloney and Biscuit
Reaction score

I think my point here is that you are a complete newcomer to the business and your opinion is mostly based on deduction while mine is based on actual primary research I conducted myself (link), more than a decades experience in the industry and actually having sold more than 7 figures worth of domains. So while I applaud your enthusiasm I think you should also listen to those of your peers that have actually done what you are talking about and take their opinions to heart.

Most of us have seen the dynamics behind the introduction of new TLDs many many times before and heard the very same arguments presented again and again. If you know the appraisals are a joke, why do you think you can sell the names at those prices?

I wish you the best of luck with your endeavour but I am of the firm belief that you should focus on the .com portion of your portfolio if you want to make sales today. Regardless I hope you have a great golf game.

Bulloney

Bulloney and Biscuit
Reaction score

You have missed the boat again Castian....the practical experience I've had over the last 50 years in business for myself is invaluable. I've started, named, bought and sold over 25 businesses since college in 1970. btw, if you would like to check out my Linkedin bio, you'll see that some of those businesses have been around over 30 years, and are doing just fine, thank you. I know you believe my experience doesn't count, but I would put my success record up against yours anytime. You're so close to the .com tradition you can't see the forest for the trees. Maybe if you'd had as much practical business experience as I've had, you would see the opportunity I see. Good luck with your 'ol traditional way of domaining, and I'll continue to focus on Progressive Domains;)

Bulloney

Bulloney and Biscuit
Reaction score

Just one more thing....you said, "If you know the appraisals are a joke, why do you think you can sell the names at those prices?" Castian...i dont' think the appraisals are a joke, I KNOW they're a joke. If I can get from 20-50% of the appraised value of my domains, the millions will come.....do the math.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well I stand corrected then. Its Castion or Lars btw.

Best of luck with the sales Bulloney.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators