Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed Do you think xxx domains will become more popular?

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Really? Literally? Their popularity right now is basically zero -- few adult-industry buyers and hardly any developed sites.
So, with your thought process, are you saying that if one person more finds out about the dot xxx extension then it suddenly becomes more popular? Or is it a matter of awareness. Huge difference between popular and awareness.

I would hate to think that I have to answer a question by asking another question(s) or responses asking for more clarification:

Q: Do you think xxx domains will become more popular?
A: Popular with whom?
Popular in terms of registrations or websites?
Define a time period in terms of what would be an acceptable time frame which would define an increase in popularity.
Are we talking about a proportion of people outside the domain industry or within the domain industry?
What is an acceptable number of the global population percentage that would constitute a gain in popularity?
By telling my wife that there is a dot xxx domain extension, does that make it popular with her? or does it simply increase awareness and not popularity? Or was she just pretending to listen?

I honestly preferred to stay with a simple no for my answer.

For once in my lifetime on this forum I answered with a simple two-letter word and yet, that was not enough.

Last edited:

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
they're dead in the water. i don't see what would make .xxx popular now. the adult industry has for the most part, ignored .xxx.

Two things can happen. I don't say that they will, but they could. (1) Domain owners could branch out into adult site development, becoming end users rather than waiting for end-user buyers. (2) Adult industry attitudes could change.

Yes, a large percentage of the adult industry has boycotted .XXX. But "ignored" it? Hardly. They ignored .XXX about as much as the Republican party ignored Barack Obama.

In the long run, adult webmasters are practical people. So if they see .XXX gaining in popularity, they will adopt .XXX for some of their sites. Personally, I believe .XXX domains would be well received by consumers (meaning people who surf the web) -- if they find .XXX sites. There is so much antipathy toward the ICM Registry that I don't see how adult webmasters could have formed an accurate assessment of the potential of .XXX itself. The water is clouded. Frankly, I think some of these webmasters could be grabbing a bigger market share; but they're too angry at an outsider (the ICM Registry) meddling in their business to see that.

Any boycott is an anti-free-market force. In spite of themselves, adult webmasters are capitalists. Sooner or later, a few of them might begin to notice the opportunities, seize them, build sites, make a pile of cash, and then the boycott could start dissolving.

I don't say that this will happen. I say that it could happen.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You've obviously put some research into your opinion,

Not really, it's stuff I learned long ago as a stingy and ignorant webmaster. LOL. No offense taken, I've been out of Adult for many years and I actually agree with you on some points, where I disagree is your reasoning of why webmasters don't put as much emphasis on domains as domainers do.. We can both agree they DON'T, and since they don't with dot com, what makes you think they will with .xxx?

Like I said before, I was at those Internext auctions held by Moniker and out of the thousands of attendees who walked through the convention, (most of whom were webmasters) you'd be lucky to see 30 people in the auction room, even luckier to see more than 6 bidding live, It was both Live and Silent and the names that fetched the most interest were naturally single word, but what's interesting is that it wasn't webmasters doing the bidding, it was investors, Domainers for the most part who either later developed them or flipped them for a profit..

So if your fortunate enough to have a single word generic like these in the .xxx TLD and didn't wipe out your potential profit by overpaying, then your ahead of the game, at least if .xxx doesn't degrade as so many other TLD's have... But for the average domainer investing in .xxx domains, their going to lose their ass like they usually do, just take a look at the crap we see on this forum alone;

http://www.dnforum.com/f657/

Even if .xxx took off, they'd be lucky to get their $100 reg fee back.

I guess my first question is this: Have they compared how a premium adult domain performs compared to a 3-word made-up domain? I don't see any premium adult domains among their sites; so I'm guessing that their opinion about the relevance of domain names is just an untested assumption -- and not experience at all.

For webmasters like Silvercash, it's not about traffic, it's about CONVERSION... When the industry first started out, affiliate programs were paying PER CLICK and they were losing money, it didn't take them long to learn that traffic doesn't always convert, so webmasters abandoned pay per click and moved to conversion and it's worked well for them since, I think today their paying on average of $30 per signup, they'll make that back on the first month, and everything after that is profit.

Last edited:

trafficpath

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting chart, shows slow increases by web users.

w3techs(.)com/technologies/details/tld-xxx-/all/all

Remove the (.) in the url

Last edited:

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
raider, you're showing your age. silvercash is long dead. i think most people stopped using them in 2002. regardless, there is no need for .xxx. sure some novelty sites might like them. peta has one and conan obrien show has one but its just for lulz. if you look at the registry numbers .xxx failed even bigger than any other recent tld rollout. adult is suffering big time these days and going through major consolidation. its coming down to a few companies owning 80% of the biz. and manwin, the biggest hates .xxx with a passion. i will be renewing a few .xxx but i never bought many and knew it wouldn't do much. i just wanted to protect my good adult .com's by owning the .xxx but there is no benefit for adult webmasters to start buying brand new .xxx domains for 100 bucks a pop when their aged indexed .com's for 10 bucks are doing just fine. had .xxx priced their domains normally, it could be a totally different situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators