• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Do you trust screenshots? Are they a good picture of the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onfiredomains

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
165
Reaction score
0
Do you trust when people post screenshots? My main concern is when looking at spending $xx,xxx on domains I'm not sure how much I should trust a 3 month snapshot of the performance. Any chance people might try to fake it for sales purposes? I haven"t been burned yet, but I just want to be careful since I'm playing with decent amounts of cash here.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance...


_________________________________________________________
No signature allowed for Gold Members!
Last Warning!
 
If you are looking to spend that much, you could ask to have it parked under your account so you can track statistics yourself. Might help out a bit.
 
If you are looking to spend that much, you could ask to have it parked under your account so you can track statistics yourself. Might help out a bit.

Check the reputation feedbacks/ITrader rating and etc.
 
Snapshots are nice, but they can easily be altered, just by taking a Snapshot from a true high traffic domain name, and replacing it with a low traffic domain, the one there trying to pawn off to some poor sole who doesnt know any better.

When buying a high traffic domain, we ask the owner to allow us to test drive it, change the DNS for a couple days and offer to compensate him for the lost revenue, this way were on our server and can access the traffic stats in every detail. If he refuses. NO SALE and onto the next.
 
Check the reputation feedbacks/ITrader rating and etc.


110% true.. a reputation is the best thing to go on...

I buy traffic names from people here without screenshots ( if I know the seller well ) ... and they have never let me down.

Be wary of screenshots that show traffic & no revenue...
 
110% true.. a reputation is the best thing to go on...

I buy traffic names from people here without screenshots ( if I know the seller well ) ... and they have never let me down.

Be wary of screenshots that show traffic & no revenue...

Must kindly disagree. For significant sums, always request a traffic test via a nameserver change- its the surest way. Rep is easy to pump and get trusted then an upercut shot to the chin.
 
Must kindly disagree. For significant sums, always request a traffic test via a nameserver change- its the surest way. Rep is easy to pump and get trusted then an upercut shot to the chin.

Jeez .. I dont mean trust any/every one .....

but over time , friends have been made here ( elsewhere ) ... and there are a number of those that I trust ... 110% ..... others i trust 90% .... thats the difference ....

But with someone with no history , a traffic test is called for on a decent sized sale .....

Also , use you judgement .... why has a certain name got traffic in the first place ? .. check ovt .. google ... other extentions etc etc ....
 
You are asking us to look at an apple and critique an orange. Do you want us to critique parking earnings or the integrity of a screenshot?

In terms of parking earnings, for all we know, a bunch of people in India are spamming the parking service and repeatedly clicking. Parking revenue is not a definite indicator, but it is a strong one, to a certain extent.

As to the integrity of a screenshot, anything is possible with Photoshop and such tools.

Jason
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom