Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

does space between japanese words matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MissDomain said:
ケーブル テレビ seems to mean "Cable TV"

google results :

ケーブル テレビ 8,700,000 (with between ケーブル and テレビ )
ケーブルテレビ 3,190,000 (no space between)

anyone know when registering japanese idn, does the space matter or is it allowed?

Not permitted. When searching two word terms they should always be between quotation marks for Google Scores. By omitting the space that is effectively what you have done in Hirigana, which is why you get a lower score.

Rubber Duck

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rubber Duck said:
Not permitted. When searching two word terms they should always be between quotation marks for Google Scores. By omitting the space that is effectively what you have done in Hirigana, which is why you get a lower score.

Rubber Duck

Hi RD, so you mean if one is to register for 'cable tv' (ケーブル テレビ ) for japanese, he can only register that one without space right (a) below ?

ケーブルテレビ.com (a)
ケーブル テレビ.com (b)

For (b), we can register?

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MissDomain said:
Hi RD, so you mean if one is to register for 'cable tv' (ケーブル テレビ ) for japanese, he can only register that one without space right (a) below ?

ケーブルテレビ.com (a)
ケーブル テレビ.com (b)

For (b), we can register?

The japanese do not use spaces, even though Overture does.

A is registrable but almost certainly gone. B is not registrable. There is a dot type character in Japanese that is half way between a space and a hyphen which is used in Titles, but this is best avoided, although I did register Credit Card this way. It is probably not worth very much.

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rubber Duck said:
The japanese do not use spaces, even though Overture does.

A is registrable but almost certainly gone. B is not registrable. There is a dot type character in Japanese that is half way between a space and a hyphen which is used in Titles, but this is best avoided, although I did register Credit Card this way. It is probably not worth very much.

Thanks RD, are you japanese? I 've seen that you also have very good knowledge about india idns, so you're japanese, indian, chinese ...?

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MissDomain said:
Thanks RD, are you japanese? I 've seen that you also have very good knowledge about india idns, so you're japanese, indian, chinese ...?

No, I am British and the only foriegn language I can claim to be familiar with is French. I have invested in about 20 languages which pales into insignficance with the 120 or so DCG has invested in. I basically was largely responsible for getting the content at IDNFs up and running where DCG will have gained much of his information. The important thing about that forum is that there is input from around the globe, with many investing in what is their native tongue.

You don't really need to be a linguist to do this, but attention to detail on compound keywords is essential. You need to know how they combine and whether you need to match tense. Chinese is the easiest on this score. No tenses or agreements, no singular or plural. If I was asked, however, where the best opportunities for speculation remain, I would say Arabic and Hindi. Large numbers of good single word terms are still available in both of these languages. Avoid compounding word terms.

yuming

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When you register Chinese or Japanese IDNs,the space is NOT allowed.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually, the space character generated by a standard keyboard is not ASCII compliant and is not permitted in any domains. In punycode it will produce a third hyphen after the double hyphen, which will not register. A hyphen in the punycode will produce another double hyphen after the first double hyphen and this is acceptable. Even right to left languages appear to use the same space character so this also appears not to be acceptable in Arabic either. With Arabic the last character will generally have a different form if it is immediately followed by another word without the space. However, some letters have the same intermediate and end form so words ending with these can be successfully concactinated.

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rubber Duck said:
You don't really need to be a linguist to do this, but attention to detail on compound keywords is essential. You need to know how they combine and whether you need to match tense. Chinese is the easiest on this score. No tenses or agreements, no singular or plural. If I was asked, however, where the best opportunities for speculation remain, I would say Arabic and Hindi. Large numbers of good single word terms are still available in both of these languages. Avoid compounding word terms.

Hi, do you know whether japanese has any tenses, singular / plural? And how & where to know whether a language has these properties?

wrdekle

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Google the language for a grammar site or try wikipedia for a basic primer. As for japanese, for most intents and purposes there is no plural and no genders to worry about which make nouns an absolute delight to register. There are tenses to verbs but you should get a grounding from a japanese speaker who understands domain names before registering verbs as you could find yourself wasting a lot of money and having to sheepishly pawn it off on dnforum despite the fact its rubbish.

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MissDomain said:
Hi, do you know whether japanese has any tenses, singular / plural? And how & where to know whether a language has these properties?

No plural/singular distinction within the term itself in Japanese. Nouns can be either and are set by context. This is the same for Chinese.

Verb tense is given by Hiragana:

ex.

Verb 'to go': 行く

Went: 行きました

Goes: 行きます

First character (行) is Kanji - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji

Tense given by Hiragana - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiragana

wrdekle

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
gammascalper said:

Gamma's explanation is absolutely correct. Now to my earlier point, if someone went and registered "行きました.com" which means "went.com" or "gone.com" I believe that person would be throwing their money away. There would be no natural type in traffic and it just isn't a very brandable domain from a Japanese point of view.

Paddy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Going a little off topic from 'spaces'... do chinese / japanese use "hypens" between words/characters?

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That depends...
There's a character that looks like a hyphen but it's an actual character.

Like my domain
セール.com (Sale)

It looks like it's a hyphen but it's not it's a Japanese character.
If you tried to replace it with an ASCII hyphen most Japanese can tell because of the spacing, by eye it certainly would look funny. Characters have the space with of 2 ASCII charracters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom