Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Domain Ad in the Globe and Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the board, I have 400 high quality domain names, I will list in a separate section, some include ComputerRepair.ca, upgrades.ca, increase.ca, operate.ca, prefer.ca, etc.

I advertised a year ago in the Globe and Mail, National Edition, with a decent sized ad, not in the classifieds, but a real ad, with about 30 names listed. All were for $2500 and above and I did not get one call. It was very disappointing.

I have never been able to find a site that sells Premium .ca domains, it seems like it is always through other sites, where .ca is about 10th on the tier of domain name sales.

I'm shocked that no one in Canada has a Premium .ca listing. Am I correct on this? Is that why everyone is here?

After collecting these since 2000, I figured the market would be really hot by now. Canada is one of the most wired countries in the world, and yet I can still can't get a decent price for some amazing names. I own stick.ca, sticks.ca, hockeystick.ca and hockeysticks.ca, how can a company that sells these, not be desperate for these names? Would they rather spend thousands in advertising for one ad that is gone the next day???

I am thinking of holding for another 5 years. Is that everyone else's .ca strategy?

Sorry for the rant.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the board, I have 400 high quality domain names, I will list in a separate section, some include ComputerRepair.ca, upgrades.ca, increase.ca, operate.ca, prefer.ca, etc.

I advertised a year ago in the Globe and Mail, National Edition, with a decent sized ad, not in the classifieds, but a real ad, with about 30 names listed. All were for $2500 and above and I did not get one call. It was very disappointing.

I have never been able to find a site that sells Premium .ca domains, it seems like it is always through other sites, where .ca is about 10th on the tier of domain name sales.

I'm shocked that no one in Canada has a Premium .ca listing. Am I correct on this? Is that why everyone is here?

After collecting these since 2000, I figured the market would be really hot by now. Canada is one of the most wired countries in the world, and yet I can still can't get a decent price for some amazing names. I own stick.ca, sticks.ca, hockeystick.ca and hockeysticks.ca, how can a company that sells these, not be desperate for these names? Would they rather spend thousands in advertising for one ad that is gone the next day???

I am thinking of holding for another 5 years. Is that everyone else's .ca strategy?

Sorry for the rant.

Welcome. A few nice domains there.

Someone on another board tried listing domains in the New York Times with little success also. I think it's still a little premature.

Unfortunately there is no fantastic route to selling .ca's you just have to take them one at a time and hold to your price. I expect another 3-5 years hold before the market really takes off. But it has come a long way in the last 18 months.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
everyone has different strategies. Pick some of your best ones and develop them, at least put up a page with some related information and advertising. you never know when you'll get an offer out of the blue, if someone wants a name you have they can look up your contact info easily at Cira. from this forum alone I've seen demand pick up for .ca with more posts asking to buy good .ca's in the last year. Reported sales in dnjournal for .ca are also steady and picking up. The weekly TBR is more competitive. All the LLL.ca just got taken out. So it is already happening. The person or business that may want to buy a name or more from you may not realize they even need the domain yet, but eventually they'll have that 'aha' moment.

On Oct. 10 I regged two french .ca's that so far have over 230 hits combined - generic game related domains - so I imagine many top domainers are still mining out the last of the gold that's out there. As opposed to .com where fresh regging doesn't yield much anymore and you have to be more agressive in the aftermarket to build your portfolio. Eventually the attention for .ca will turn to the aftermarket too.

I don't think a premium .ca sales venue is needed, most cctlds just get sold at Sedo or Afternic, places like that. Whatever you do, don't drop any quality names, I made that mistake a few years ago.

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a hard ass but this is a .ca sale thread. We already have a section to discuss .ca domains http://www.dnforum.com/f510/.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators