Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Domain hackers Alert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Something is very wrong all around...

FTC.net is listed as registered to the Federal Trade Commission, and even redirects there.

BUT the name servers are wrong - FTC.gov uses ns1 and ns2.ftc.gov for its nameservers, NOT ns1 and ns2.afraid.org

Afraid.org is a dynamic redirect service.

Most likely the whois change / redirection is simply a ruse to throw people off as to who really owns ftc.net ...

But another, more disturbing, possibility is FTC.net is redirecting as part of a planned phish scheme.

Ron

Domain Summit 2024

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
ftc.net whois info is faked, maybe even all purpose of this scam was to get hold all ftc.net ?

maybe even better idea to file a complain about ftc.net to ftc directly https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

(identity theft)

Credit

Buying CC.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Talked to him on aim yesterday regarding the purchase, he was very eager to sell the names. First said the auction ends in 12 hours, then 8, then he asked me what I was willing to pay, then sold them prematurely. Strange, indeed, seemed like a nice guy though.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
part of a planned phish scheme

Phishing? how would anyone phish the ftc? They seem more of a fraud prevention organization, and I see no use for such info for a scammer.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I doubt they'd phish the FTC ... I would hope the FTC folks are smarter than that LOL!

But a more likely scenerio is using ftc.net in some manner to phish unsuspecting surfers who may believe ftc.net is truly the FTC website.

Most likely the ftc.net whois change / redirection is simply a ruse to confuse people as to who truly owns the domain, but the phish angle, while a longshot, is a possibility and is why I mentioned it.

Ron

Restecpa

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I will say it again... Good old 2002.

Restecpa

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
:?: what was that about?
That's when I first joined dnforum... Nice times, really. Unlike today, there were hardly any scammers around. Lately though, it almost seems as if there are more scammers around than genuine members. Domain reselling industry has really turned rotten... Jup, good old 2002. We actually had fun back then... imagine that.

Restecpa

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm sure.

Once forum changed hands and they introduced "paid subscriptions", I decided to create a new account. Before 2003, this forum was actually "free". I've been around for some 6 years now...

FuseFX

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Strange, indeed, seemed like a nice guy though.

Scammers are ALWAYS pretty slick at gaining confidence and looking like "nice guys". That's a pre-requisite to scam people!

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
up, good old 2002. We actually had fun back then... imagine that.

I'll go back to the internet back in the early to mid 90s when you could post personal information (name, address, phone number) and the only people who would take it and use it were the people who it was intended for.

I miss telnetting to sites, MUDs, using Gopher and the (original) UseNet (I think that's what it was called) and PINE for email.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll go back to the internet back in the early to mid 90s when you could post personal information (name, address, phone number) and the only people who would take it and use it were the people who it was intended for.

I miss telnetting to sites, MUDs, using Gopher and the (original) UseNet (I think that's what it was called) and PINE for email.

Yup, I ran a BBS back in the 90's. Learned more about computers during those few years than ever since.. And people got along well for the most part. Door games, downloads, messages, fun. - Good old fidonet.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yup, I ran a BBS back in the 90's. Learned more about computers during those few years than ever since.. And people got along well for the most part. Door games, downloads, messages, fun. - Good old fidonet.

I ran a BBS as well back in the 90's .. The golden era for sure .. Legend of the Red Dragon anyone? :)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also have the feeling there are more scammers here. Already a few have been busted and we are still early into 2008.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
AH, the safest days of the net, BBSs. Never saw Red Dragon but we had "Yankee Trader", "Kannons and Katapults", and many Dope Wars clones (Cartel, anyone?). ANd dialing for ever just to get on (sounds like AOL?). Cool SysOps, SigOps, etc..

If you told them your check was in the mail for a paid subscription, they upgraded you right there since it was trustworthy enough (plus they could kill your account).

Of course, there was one SysOp that no one liked so we continually hacked his BBS, even most hackers were honorable back then. ;)

Back on topic, stuff like this will continually happen. The community might be able to cut it down a little with vigilance and close monitoring but in the long run scams will always be there. I wonder how many people this year will send money to Nigerian royalty?

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So in other words, only knowledgeable people with sense and brains were online back then. Man, I wish I was around! Wait....I think I just made a funny on myself.

I was too worried about boys and skipping school in the 90's. Too bad. But I can look back to today and say "Remember the good ole days when you only got 100 spam mails in your inbox, when bandwidth wasn't throttled and when you could have information in your whois without waking up murdered the next day?"

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes... LORD! Was really addicted to BRE though :)

Take a look here http://bbslist.textfiles.com/305/

The Glass House was me.. wow, that was a long time ago.. miss it!

Haha definitely .. :)

I ran a System/x scene-bbs in Norway. Focusing on the demo/art-scene. It was good times hehe..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom