Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024

Originally posted by devolution
Before a certain time, Network Solutions charged NO FEE - can you believe it NO FEE - GRATIS - NIL!!!!
It was a nonprofit organisation at the time (before Verisign and friends came along).
You could have got all the NET/COM/ORG you wanted for next to nothing - I suppose they would have wanted a small donation or something.

Yes, but once they started charging did they grandfather these free names or they charged a back fee?

debath

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Geez, I sure am wishing for a time machine now to take me back to when Netsol charged NOTHING!!!

Anyone got one handy? :)

debath

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow! I just did a search at archive.org for my name barcoders.com

There was a site back in 1996! Also, in 1997 it looks like it was something to do with microsoft. Odd but interesting.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, it can also be quite embarrassing. It shows up what a dork I was when I first started publishing back in 1998 (not to say anything has changed :D ). Are we allowed to delete those archives???

Check the history of URHoops.com
Then visit the web site, still listed under Google's Women's Basketball category :D

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Symbolics.com was not the first domain registered. It was the second domain. Just for FYI.

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When we talk about the first domain being registered, we think of .COM or .NET don't we, but there's been domains around longer than that - for example ARPA (the original defence network protocol - it STILL exists as a reverse lookup domain!).
Run a WHOIS at NetSol on 'ARPA' and have a look at the record.
You can also WHOIS complete country TLDs like UK and NU etc.
So whatever the first .COM name was registered wasn't technically the first name. But we do think of registered as being paying a sum for a year's (or more) worth of renting a domain. You don't really only your domain - you can only 'rent' it for as long as you have paid for. (Hence Cybersquatters got their name on unpaid registration snappers).

Some early domains:

Domain Name: THINK.COM
[....snipped....]
Record last updated on 20-Mar-2002.
Record expires on 23-May-2005.
Record Created on 24-May-1985.

Domain Name: SYMBOLICS.COM
[...snipped...]
Record expires on 16-Mar-2007.
Record created on 15-Mar-1985.

Domain Name: IBM.COM
[...snipped...]
Record expires on 20-Mar-2005.
Record created on 19-Mar-1986.

Curiously, Microsoft only got their domain in 1991!
AOL got theirs (aol.net first) in 1992!
Some of the earliest names were EDU names for many of the main computer-connected university.

It's a shame we can't get access to the whole of Network Solutions' WHOIS database - I bet there are some real gems lurking in there!
Though you can access the root files at versign-grs.com but you have to be vetted and have a static IP address...

Originally posted by MC Juice
Symbolics.com was not the first domain registered. It was the second domain. Just for FYI.
OK, you made the statement - now back it up. I supplied a URL with mine...

-t

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators