Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain name natural traffic is the best type of traffic in the world... Not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Neither yet, make me one. What I ment to say I suppose is name a domain that shows your development skills and what you have realized on it. Don't want to know your secrets, just results.

Domain summit 2024

allroundguy

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mike, You are absolutely right.
The subject here is about Typo-Squatting.
But You are kicking shins in a reseller-minded area.

Yes, domains are just addresses similar to phone numbers.
Most domainers mix up domain elements with website content elements.
Some people forgot about Typo-Squatting.
Yes, if a domain speaks or spells somewhat similarly as to a TM domain, it is illegal.

Atbitrage sample:
Quoting a WIPO decision:
""It is generally held that typo-squatting per se is sufficient to establish registration and use in bad faith under paragraph 4(a)(iii) of the Policy and the Panel considers the disputed domain name to be a typical example of typo-squatting.
Additionally, the Panel considers the following criteria in paragraph 4(b)(iv) of the Policy to have been met in that the Respondent has by using the disputed domain name, intentionally attempted to attract, for commercial gain, Internet users to its website by creating a likelihood of confusion with the Complainant’s marks as to the source, sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement of its website or location of a product or service on its website.
Thus the Panel finds that the disputed domain name was registered and is being used bad faith.""
Read more here: http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2007/d2007-0470.html

Legal source sample:
http://www.webproworld.com/insider-...infringes-anti-cybersquatting-protection.html

Interesting is this one, too: http://www.circleid.com/posts/712177_cyber_typo_squatting_wipo_domain/

So, then, should someone steal until he/she is caught?
I don't think so.

And, because of increasing globalization and international treaties, East-European and Asian cyber-criminals will soon be handled.

Anyway, as someone said earlier (but not in these words) let us mind our own business although this is a forum to speak up.

Ah, yes, please explain here to us competitors how You become successful.
I won't.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mike, You are absolutely right.
The subject here is about Typo-Squatting.
But You are kicking shins in a reseller-minded area.

Yes, domains are just addresses similar to phone numbers.
Most domainers mix up domain elements with website content elements.
Some people forgot about Typo-Squatting.
Yes, if a domain speaks or spells somewhat similarly as to a TM domain, it is illegal.

Atbitrage sample:
Quoting a WIPO decision:
""It is generally held that typo-squatting per se is sufficient to establish registration and use in bad faith under paragraph 4(a)(iii) of the Policy and the Panel considers the disputed domain name to be a typical example of typo-squatting.
Additionally, the Panel considers the following criteria in paragraph 4(b)(iv) of the Policy to have been met in that the Respondent has by using the disputed domain name, intentionally attempted to attract, for commercial gain, Internet users to its website by creating a likelihood of confusion with the Complainant’s marks as to the source, sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement of its website or location of a product or service on its website.
Thus the Panel finds that the disputed domain name was registered and is being used bad faith.""
Read more here: http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2007/d2007-0470.html

Legal source sample:
http://www.webproworld.com/insider-...infringes-anti-cybersquatting-protection.html

Interesting is this one, too: http://www.circleid.com/posts/712177_cyber_typo_squatting_wipo_domain/

So, then, should someone steal until he/she is caught?
I don't think so.

And, because of increasing globalization and international treaties, East-European and Asian cyber-criminals will soon be handled.

Anyway, as someone said earlier (but not in these words) let us mind our own business although this is a forum to speak up.

I won't.

I won't.

^--- worth mentioning one more time.. well said

A classic ;)

i think there are a lot of good people in the domain industry... a lot of smart folks

but very resistant to change

its gonna happen.. already happening

do not deny it

embrace it

learn more by following with what ur competitors are doing, obviously, that is where u should start

not by trying to extract info from people who are ur competitors who will give U the wrong info if they do give u any...

im all about sharing and keeping it real

the domain community and industry has been good to me

i love it... but seriusly

lets get real and focus on the bigger issues, it is 2009... everything being brought up here by the old schoolers is old news

taktikz

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don,

its not the best, i have been in the search engine marketing game for years and i am not subscribed to the domain channel and neither are all of the top marketers who know what they are doing --- the ROI is crap

domainers can choose to optimize just about any domain... even a 495834598dsfsdf.com domain to display finance or real estate ads... this is a recipe for a major disaster if u know what i mean

only a fool would subscribe to a channel that does not pre-qualify the traffic accordingly

domain typos are illegal as is the traffic... no? last time i checked they were

Jordan is a guy who has been involved with the domain industry for a good few years if you attend the conferences... you know all about him

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&q=jordan+rohan+rbc+capital&btnG=Search

its my job to day in and day out make this type of predictions and critisize the hell out of anything and everything as i consult various clients on how to handle their ad budget as well as optimize their websites and so on... optimization can be deployed on many fronts and it should

i re-read your post twice and i couldn't make sense of it

you are arguing for a very small portion of domains that exist.. maybe a few percent at most if that ??

and development is not for everybody

launching 1,000s of websites is easy

...if you know what u are doing and have an actual "business plan"

developing just for the sake of development made up or brandable domains --- pointless

i've wrote articles about the largest travel network in the world being launched... 60,000 domains strong... from morten sondergaard / about anywhere.com

also covered one the largest lead generation networks in the worl... 30,000 domains strong from Moxy Media

there is also the Cities Unlimited network.. almost 20,000 USA City domains strong

just because you cant do it, doesnt mean it cant be done ;)

its easily done... sure, it will require a lot of money and upfront investment but the serious players have no prob pony up hundreds of thousands or even millions --- u have to if u want the big bucks :yes:

if one wants to sit all his life on a few thousand of domains and collect 5 cents per unique visitor without doing anything... more power to u --- thank god for parking :)

but tehre is a whole world out there beyond domain parking

speak to some of the GEO developers who are also "domainers" and they will clue u in

You're right... For some crazy reason, there are many domainers that think domain parking is directly tied to the domain business when in fact it's not.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
as for type in traffic being the best type of traffic, once again, not true
The best traffic is targeted traffic, which type-in usually is. As for type-in, how can you be so prompt to discard free traffic ?

i can generate exactly within 60 days off the registration of that domain exactly 100x more of the traffic that the .com will receive in the entire year or next 5 years since it is parked
Any domain can generate revenue with development.
That does not mean the name has intrinsic value.

Do you believe non of us really have any clue about development ?
I would rather develop on a strong name than a crap name... if it is generic or has type-in... it is a bonus.
If your names are 100% reliant on SEO, you are at the mercy of Big G.

generic domains will always continue to be generic domains...and they will generate some type ins...but developing most generic domains may be pointless because they are part of very competitive niches and their nature is very broad
That doesn't make sense to me. Could you elaborate ?

2 and 3 keyword dot com domains --- the best ;)
Bah :worried:

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The best traffic is targeted traffic, which type-in usually is. As for type-in, how can you be so prompt to discard free traffic ?

not dimissing anything... just saying that it is not the best

domain that generates 100x more revenue is a lot more valuable than a domain that generates a few cents or dollars per day??? makes sense i hope?

I would rather develop on a strong name than a crap name... if it is generic or has type-in... it is a bonus.

most domainers dont have any clue about development, or seo, if they did... u would know that parking domains that u want to develop is counter-productive and is working backwords

if u knew about seo or development u could take a few hours per day and setup a good enough site and tap into the organic seo traffic

obviously many dont....

as for relying on google... it is actually great to be buddy buddy with google but also dont forget yahoo which will also send over about 20% of the traffic --- if u develop out right, even if u do lose google u still have yahoo at the end of the day and they arent as strict with penalties and such... so, if u do ur job, yahoo will do theirs and rank u as will google

hope that clears it up

as for 2 - 3 keyword dot com domains.. they are the most targeted and can be easily developed and have the best ROI

1 word generics are the toughest to work with... only a true developer who has developed many e-businesses with a proven and successful track record with many years of experience in online marketing or ecommerce can take a one word domain and turn it profitable

very few that will have success with it.... it is a HUGE project that requires a ton of money and resources

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike you talk like Rick Schwartz lol

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

not dimissing anything... just saying that it is not the best

domain that generates 100x more revenue is a lot more valuable than a domain that generates a few cents or dollars per day??? makes sense i hope?

most domainers dont have any clue about development, or seo, if they did... u would know that parking domains that u want to develop is counter-productive and is working backwords

if u knew about seo or development u could take a few hours per day and setup a good enough site and tap into the organic seo traffic

obviously many dont....

as for relying on google... it is actually great to be buddy buddy with google but also dont forget yahoo which will also send over about 20% of the traffic --- if u develop out right, even if u do lose google u still have yahoo at the end of the day and they arent as strict with penalties and such... so, if u do ur job, yahoo will do theirs and rank u as will google

hope that clears it up

as for 2 - 3 keyword dot com domains.. they are the most targeted and can be easily developed and have the best ROI

1 word generics are the toughest to work with... only a true developer who has developed many e-businesses with a proven and successful track record with many years of experience in online marketing or ecommerce can take a one word domain and turn it profitable

very few that will have success with it.... it is a HUGE project that requires a ton of money and resources

i think what Mike is saying, some of us already know when it comes to developing a domain

however, the way is which he gets there and the validations of his position is from the "after effect" of development

to say that "type-in traffic is not the best", when comparing it to traffic of a developed site is true only because it's an improvement.

but that developed site has to generate traffic over time, which puts it far behind a domain with type-in traffic in a head-to-head race.

as for parking domains being a negative

i have several domains which have been parked for years and still are indexed in Google.
and i consider parking the best (quickest) way to guage a domain, while having it available for sale, with no additional expenses.

sure i'd love to all my domains developed, but until that times comes....it's reg/buy, then park.

:)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike you talk like Rick Schwartz lol
Mike talks more like a webmaster than a domainer. Rick is at the opposite end of the spectrum :)

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rick Schwartz has some developed domains... nothing too fancy, those little mini-sites from AEIOU such as homemade.com unemployed.com etc... some that are a lil better would be property.com widgets.com etc.

ctkavanaugh

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Natural traffic? I've own a domain name that contains 2 words and one of them is "sales". Googleing the two words individually results in about 253,000 in (0.15 seconds). Is that what you mean by natural traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators