Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Domain sale or trade for services

Status
Not open for further replies.

yowzator

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For about a decade, I've been providing web development, hosting, and other IT services to an indoor sports facility in exchange for a complimentary team each season. There was no legal agreement in place, just sort of an understanding between both parties. I purchased a domain name that matched the business name at that time and have been hosting their website on this domain ever since.

The business just changed hands and the new owner is asking me to transfer the domain to them. I checked with my attorney and he indicated the domain is my intellectual property. Since there was no legal agreement of any sort between the parties, the new owners don't have any right to the domain.

I don't believe the new owners intend to keep the same agreement or relationship, as they have indicated they have their own "web" people. I'm pretty sure I will be out of the picture once they have the domain.

I've told the new owners that I would be happy to work out a sale/trade type of arrangement for the domain, and they want a proposal from me. They also indicated that they might just purchase some other domain name. I don't think they would be interested in a domain lease arrangement.

Depending upon what they change the name to, they might need to change building signs, facility posters, brochures, bank accounts, corporate filings, etc. And their existing customers would have to learn to go to a different website to find schedules, etc. But those aren't insurmountable things, and all told could probably be done for less than $2000.

On one hand, I don't really want to provide IT services to them anymore, but wouldn't have a problem continuing to provide hosting. I wouldn't mind continuing to get a complimentary team, but would rather get a lump of cash for the domain.

Also, there are other similar facilities in other states with the same business name. The domain I own is the base business name. Those other facilities have domains with this name in it, plus other letters, such as the state name. Any one of them could potentially be interested in the domain.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to proceed or suggestions for the proposal?

Thanks!

Domain Summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
figure how much you want and give them a price

you could also send out noticies to those other facilities that "the domain may be available for sale".

that's if you want to know whether they are interested and perhaps get a competition going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom