Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Domain Selling Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhmedF

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not sure which forum this post would go in, but I think it makes most sense here.

An issue I have found is that many NW and pool.com domains get some quite high bids. With pool you only get there in the case that they win the domain, but with NW, its all or nothing.

Arising from this, would it not be natural for NW [dotster], pool, and even snapnames to start offering their own version of sedo/domainsystems?

It would be an excellent revenue stream that would not require that much more overhead.

Comments?

M

mole

Originally posted by AhmedF
It would be an excellent revenue stream that would not require that much more overhead.

I think that idea is already taken by WLS, med :-D

AhmedF

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No I mean the after-sale OF expird domains.

M

mole

oic, what about all the resellers here? I did however read somewhere about Verisign/Great Domains attempting such a monopoly.

AhmedF

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well this is just a market.

Think about it

Lets say domain 'abc.com' drops ... the NW bid is $10,000, and some lucky guy [or gal!] gets it with a $60 snap.

NW then offers after-market escrow service like sedo. The new owner of abc.com puts it on the Name Winner Domain Sales system. Some bidding and jostling happen, and a buyer of abc.com is found for $10,000. NW takes 10% cut, makes an easy $1000. The owner of abc.com finds an instant market receptive to his [or her!] domain.

What I am saying is that the services performed by afternic.net, domainsystems.com, sedo ... it is very natural [and an intelligent business decision] or companies like dotster and pool to offer it themselves.

If I owned one of them, I would have launched this a long time ago ;)

M

mole

... it is very natural [and an intelligent business decision] or companies like dotster and pool to offer it themselves.

I think that's what BuyDomains.com are already doing, med. Not all the names that filter out of their DNS servers, many are actually individual sellers who use BD to be their selling front-end. Same with Afternic, all of BD names end up being listed there.

It's a symbiotic relationship really.

To be honest, I think NW is really losing big time to Pool's technology in recent months. Same with Snapnames, they seem to have just lost it as they soup up for the WLS. Time changes things dramatically. Good thing WLS is coming up... ICANN, who approved the WLS in the first place, has been saved by the courts.

AhmedF

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Right ... buy buydomains is a reseller.

Think of NW pool etc as Compaq. BD is staples or office depot .. reselling while compaq does all the hard work.

Cut out the middle man ... and possibly get a lot of sales from external sources.

Think about it again.

abc.com gets a bid for $10000 at NW.
BILL gets it at dropwizard [shout out!] for $125.
BILL wants to resell it ... instead of coming here, sedo, etc, he posts it on the 'NW Broker service'
The person who bid $10,000 then bids $10,000 for abc.com, and gets it. BILL gets $9000, NW makes $1000

PROS:
BILL: Makes $9000
DropWiard: Get's BILL's business
Guy who bid $10000: Gets abc.com
NW: Makes a healthy cut/profit EVEN THOUGH it didnt get the domain.

Im surprised no one else isnt chipping in .. unless it makes obvious sense :)

ToastyX

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mole, you seem to be completely missing the point. Ahmed is wondering, wouldn't it make sense for NameWinner/Dotster, Pool, or even SnapNames to offer a service like Sedo or AfterNIC where we can list our own domains for sale yet receive the same kind of exposure as the auctions?

I've thought about that in the past and think it's a great idea, but convincing NameWinner or Pool to implement the idea would be a challenge.

Rico

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Right ... buy buydomains is a reseller.

Think of NW pool etc as Compaq. BD is staples or office depot .. reselling while compaq does all the hard work.

Cut out the middle man ... and possibly get a lot of sales from external sources.

Think about it again.

abc.com gets a bid for $10000 at NW.
BILL gets it at dropwizard [shout out!] for $125.
BILL wants to resell it ... instead of coming here, sedo, etc, he posts it on the 'NW Broker service'
The person who bid $10,000 then bids $10,000 for abc.com, and gets it. BILL gets $9000, NW makes $1000

PROS:
BILL: Makes $9000
DropWiard: Get's BILL's business
Guy who bid $10000: Gets abc.com
NW: Makes a healthy cut/profit EVEN THOUGH it didnt get the domain.

Im surprised no one else isnt chipping in .. unless it makes obvious sense :)

Great idea.
This is profitable for us resellers and nw/pool
worth an email to NW or pool AhmedF :eek:k:

Chaiki

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

---------------------------------------------------

I think you guys are all missing the boat here.. the life blood of all the auction and catching services, SNAP, NW, POOL is cold hard cash --piles of it. Therefore the true power in this game (and i guess every game) rests with those who control the cash.

Names get spooled out at a certain moment and then get targetted for acquisition by mass attack at that precise moment by a daisy chain of registrars in need of that cash. It's not cheap to buy those registrars, but if 'everything' goes to an auction model and costs hit the threshold of discomfort for those who dispense the cash, then those volume buying people will simply open up their wallets that much wider and buy direct, acquiring registrars connections, people, tools, hardware etc en-mass and battle it out direct, doing the heavy lifting themselves and effectively becoming their own pool.com, NW, or snap... in the process turning their back on those competing systems.

I think the only thing that has stopped this from happening already is the shadow of the w-l-s. Nobody wants to spend months building such an elaborate system only to have it taken apart by change. Once the path is certain, look for a shift.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea.. although I doubt it would happen & no-one gets names without bidding for them nowadays anyway. ;)

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It has been argued before that Pool is really just a cleverly designed reseller of dropped domains. Think about it..

BuyDomains have to wait for a sale - Pool gets the sale within three days every time..

M

mole

Originally posted by Beachie
BuyDomains have to wait for a sale - Pool gets the sale within three days every time..

True, beach. Better a bird in the hand than 250,000 in the bush? :-D

AhmedF

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But why not cover BOTH bases?

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The reason that Pool or NW are successful at getting good prices for domains is not because they're "better" at selling names than Afternic or GD, but because they're playing with richer pickings.

On the one hand you have a stream of perhaps 20,000 "new" domains a day (i.e. domains dropping that day) and out of that, perhaps 30 domains that will attract the big bids and 100 that will reach "interesting" levels.

On the other hand, you have hundreds or thousands of people and companies, some with massive financial and other resources, all competing for the chance at the same 100 interesting names (of course I'm simplifying things as people go for other names too, but this thread is talking about the big buck bids...)

If you introduce non-dropping domains into the equation, you've come back to an AN/GD/Sedo model i.e. you're just introducing noise into the equation. Suddenly, the big players can no longer predict that e.g. "a week on Tuesday, BusinessPlan.com will drop" since domain owners could list anything any time. So the task of watching the market goes from trawling lists of 20,000 a day to potentially watching all 30,000,000+ registered names since by definition any of them might come up for sale at any time.

Bang, you've just killed your primary market since those with the resources get fed up digging through trash and give up on your service.

After all, remember this: most people who would like to see Pool or NW offer an after-market service already offer their names for sale in one way or another. If the names haven't sold already, that tells you something!

Zorro

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DNMole

True, beach. Better a bird in the hand than 250,000 in the bush? :-D

Please dont drag 'Bush' into this...its not his fault.
:-D :-D

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It would make more sense for me to buy what's dropping NOW and pay LESS NOW than to go to try to buy it later from a person who is expecting a 500 fold return on his investment. Sure the prices are skyrocketing at POOL and other places but the returns down the road will be much higher and these people know it. If I want to overpay for a domain I can do that at anytime by contacting the owner or looking at one of these sites. However right now I'm only looking for bargains and so is everyone else that is smart. It's like buying highly undervalued stock instead of at it's 10 year peak. This is a long term investment not an overnight ticket to riches. Those of you who choose to pull out soon will not reap the long term benefits.

Right now there are movement on several fronts when they converge we will see a transparent marketplace which will be the springboard for the new world order economy of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators