Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domainer Stress: To Drop or Not to Drop....That is the driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgmv

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
whats even more frustrating is dropping a domain and then receiving an offer via Sedo a few weeks later

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stop hand-regging domains. That way you don't have to worry about dropping them or not after you figure out they're worthless. :)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
whats even more frustrating is dropping a domain and then receiving an offer via Sedo a few weeks later

that has happened to me on more than one occassion.

Stop hand-regging domains. That way you don't have to worry about dropping them or not after you figure out they're worthless. :)

some of those hand-regs have provided great income, though i agree...those that don't are part of the problem.

still, even domains purchased on aftermarket or from others, can pose similar type of stress. there are names in this category that can't be resold for profits or don't produce the revenue expected, and their acquisition costs are much higher than reg fee names.

in cases like that, owners may have purchased say LLL at higher price, then values drop and they have to liquidate at cost.

this is after maybe holding for a few years of expected growth in the market, so renewal cost is lost.

that cost about equals the same amount as if one hand-regged a few names, held them a few yrs and then let them drop when same conditions exist.

the biggest diff there, is amount of doe-ski on the table to play the game of catch and release.

as the chances of success can be equal for either purchasing group (hand-reggers or aftermarket buyers), as well as profit and loss margins.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Disagree, some of my best names (including those with at least a bit of typein traffic) have been fairly recent hand registered. It's actually somewhat easy to find good keyword names for hand reg with words which are used in the media, in both .com and .org

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Disagree, some of my best names (including those with at least a bit of typein traffic) have been fairly recent hand registered. It's actually somewhat easy to find good keyword names for hand reg with words which are used in the media, in both .com and .org

Ok. What works for some might not work for others. I've never had success with hand-regs, but some might.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i have had some succes with hand reg's - selling later for xxx - xxxx.

i still have had buyers/reg remourse and droped a few along the way (comes with the territory)

M.U.

CEO of Thinkk
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To drop or not to drop.

I try analyze it methodically and use following criterias:

- Inquiries (even if only one is asking if I want to sell, is enough to keep the domain name imo).
- Current income.
- Unique visitors for the year (as it might be a season dependent domain name).
- Whois-lookup-stats.
- Similar domain names sold
- Other extensions registered.
- Total expenses I have had for the domain name vs how much I think I could get for it (if the gap is not worth the renewal, I drop it)

Its time consuming, but needs to be done. :)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To drop or not to drop.

I try analyze it methodically and use following criterias:

- Inquiries (even if only one is asking if I want to sell, is enough to keep the domain name imo).

i was thinking last night, that some inquiries may be tricks

here's the scenerio:

i'm interested in a name you got, so i offer $$ this year

you don't sell it and renew another yr

then i offer $$ again

you keep renewing thinking there is interest in your name

after bout 6-8 yrs of renewals, offers disappear

then you drop and i catch for $59 and the name retains it's original creation date.

after 2 renewals, it's a 10yr name, which many domainers covet

think it's possible?

:)

M.U.

CEO of Thinkk
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
think it's possible?

:)

Are you doing it to my domain names Biggie? lol

Well it could be possible, but then the domainer is really patient. With this tactic, there is a risk that the domain owner gets another offer from others interested in the domain name.

And I think if the domain name doesn't get other offers in those 2-3 years, then the one you have made, then is the domain name really worth owning?

But really deep thinking Biggie. :)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you doing it to my domain names Biggie? lol

Well it could be possible, but then the domainer is really patient. With this tactic, there is a risk that the domain owner gets another offer from others interested in the domain name.

And I think if the domain name doesn't get other offers in those 2-3 years, then the one you have made, then is the domain name really worth owning?

But really deep thinking Biggie. :)

i'm not doing this tactic to anyone, yet :)

but you ask, "if the domain is really worth anything, when it doesn't get other offers in those 2-3 yrs."

i'd say, could be or maybe not, but it could be a future forward name, where the tech/service hasn't reached the GP yet.

patience is a virtue, so those who can "out wait" us may benefit.

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To drop or not to drop? It's not as bad as to live or not to live.

Reminds me of Hamlet lol. But I do feel you. It seems like even the veterans go through such dilemma.

Bill F.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I too get nervous when I see my domains picked up by top players. I feel like I let a gem go.
On the other hand, if all my names were being dropped and never picked up, I would be in the wrong game.
It's easy when a bunch of other extensions are registered, etc., but there are countless names that sell for 4 figures when only the .com was registered.

So, renewals are always difficult. I try not to look back. And more recently, I'm trying not to depend on sales too much. I let the buyers come to me as much as possible - and I understand that most of my names may never sell.

And more than we'd like to admit, a good part of domaining is betting on lightning striking a particular tree. The more trees you have, the more that happens.

As someone said above, if you're not ready to keep it 4 years, then the name was a mistake.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Successful sales are basically little more than a numbers game and luck which is why you see places like sedo and afternic and dnjournal.com reports with 100s of dubious value sales every week, many of which appear to be worth reg fee. Since there are millions listed for sale a small percentage will always be selling and for high prices based on numbers and luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators