Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Don't Buy the Keyword - Buy the Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi...I thought this was a really good article and it really has always amazed me how and why 99.5% of the companies spending all this money on PPC...can't see this.

Don't Buy the Keyword - Buy the Domain

By Matt Bentley
E-Commerce Times
05/08/07 4:00 AM PT

Marketers are turning to direct navigation programs to complement their search campaigns for a number of reasons, including the emergence of programs like AdSense and other technologies that can populate unused Web domains with information to create mini-portals.

A Perfect Fit: Finding an Enterprise Email Service Provider
Sophisticated marketers need the special expertise found in only a handful of ESPs. Silverpop's white paper walks you through the process. Learn what to ask of potential vendors to ensure a match. Get instructions and a template RFP here.

Marketers assume that Googling for information is an automatic response the instant a Web surfer opens a browser. For many Internet users, the theory is true. However, for a number of reasons, and with increasing regularity, many people bypass search engines altogether in favor of a technique called direct navigation. Simply put, direct navigation is when a user directly types a Web address into a browser.

However, the phenomenon of direct navigation to generically named sites with an "intent to search" is a relatively new concept that shifts how marketers must think about their own Web site traffic and how consumers are finding information about the things that interest them.

Marketers are turning to direct navigation programs to complement their search campaigns for a number of reasons, including the emergence of programs like AdSense and other technologies that can populate unused Web domains with information to create mini-portals.
Consumer Trends

Online consumers are turning to these "parked" Web sites -- pages populated mostly by relevant keyword ads -- because they can sometimes produce better, quicker results that avoid the manipulated listings that increasingly clog search engine results for highly commercial keyword terms.

In fact, it is estimated by several organizations that traffic to "parked" pages drives about 10 percent of the pay-per-click (PPC) ad market. Even more interesting, WebSideStory found that direct navigation had a 4.23 percent conversion-to-sale rate, while search engine clicks on average lead to a 2.3 percent conversion-to-sales rate.

Marketers can use generic targeted domain names as a traffic source in three primary ways:

1. Simply redirect the domain to your main site. Russian Standard, a Russian vodka maker entering the U.S. market, recently paid US$3 million for the generic vodka.com domain. The company currently uses it to redirect users to its home page. Other examples include Books.com (Barnes & Noble), PC.com (Intel), Loans.com (Bank of America) and RentalCar.com (Enterprise). Some more good ones if you'd like to update these are School.com and OfficeSupplies.com (both Office Depot); Gift.com (JCPenney); Investor.com (MSN Money); and StudentLoan.com (Citibank).

2. Use the domain as a targeted vertical portal to drive traffic to your main site. This method requires more effort, but is more likely to lead to increasing traffic over time, generate higher conversion rates, and strengthen your position as a leader in a given market category. Here are some examples: Baby.com (Johnson & Johnson), ResetlessLegs.com (GlaxoSmithKline), DepressionHurts.com (Eli Lilly & Co.), DesignatedDriver.com (Budweiser), NoFleas.com (Bayer), Meals.com (Nestle) and Malts.com (Diageo).

3. Rebrand your entire operation on the new generic domain. Obviously this is the most extreme example, but there are many advantages to branding Email Marketing Software - Free Demo your company on a premium generic domain: You instantly gain credibility as a leader in your space, and generally garner higher conversion-to-sale ratios with less expenditure on marketing and brand-building. Some examples: DealTime and Epinions become Shopping.com; Ice.com becomes Diamond.com; DynamicWeb becomes WebHosting.com. (Entrepreneur Jesse Rasch describes how acquiring WebHosting.com dramatically grew its revenue and customer base here.)

Much like a well-rounded SEM (search engine marketing) keyword campaign, the best domain strategies involve multiple, category defining names. Purchasing several domains ensures that customers who use different terms don't slip through the cracks and creates an understanding that your company is the leader in a particular space. Choosing multiple domain names in a specific category allows you to deliver a personalized Web experience with related content spread across a network of sites. Another major advantage of this is that you can interlink between domains, which will greatly boost Web search engine rankings.
Finding the Right Domains

There are a number of things to consider when determining which domain names to acquire in your direct navigation initiatives. Much of it gets back to marketing basics -- who is your audience and how can you reach them?

* Taken from a customer perspective, what are they looking for that you have to offer? Don't just think of which "category" you position yourself in, but how do your customers describe you/your product? Acquiring the dot-com version of your most productive SEM keyword terms is usually a good place to start.
* Keep it simple. One-word domains or very short phrases offer the greatest value and highest traffic.
* Choose the right extension. Generally, .com domains are the best choice, as they receive a magnitude more type-in traffic than other extensions. However, if you're interested in traffic from a particularly country, you may be better off acquiring the country-code version of the domain name -- for example, .co.uk for traffic from the United Kingdom.
* Keep it generic. Registering a variation of your competitor's site or products rather than generic descriptive terms could put you in conflict with trademark law.
* Research traffic volume before buying. Some domain sellers or domain marketplaces will provide guidance as to how many visitors the domain currently receives. Otherwise, a handy rule of thumb is that direct navigation traffic volume is generally correlated to search query volume for that keyword, which you can research using Yahoo's (Nasdaq: YHOO) Latest News about Yahoo Keyword Selector Tool.

Once you identify the domains you'd like, there are a variety of ways to acquire them. If you're lucky and the domains are still available, you just need to choose a domain registrar and pay an annual registration fee of around $10 to $35. If the domains are already taken -- and most good traffic domains are -- you still have options: You can try researching the domain owner and making an unsolicited offer, or browse the listings at a domain name marketplace where you'll find thousands of high traffic domain names that are definitely for sale. If all of that sounds like a bit too much work, you can always hire a domain broker to do all of the legwork, including tracking down owners, negotiating a price and assisting with the ownership transfer.

As a marketer, investing in direct navigation generally pays for itself within a year or two, dependent of course on the quality of the domain and how well you can convert the traffic into sales. However, instead of being an expense as with purchasing clicks from a search engine, acquiring a domain (or portfolio of domains) for direct navigation purposes becomes an asset that retains its value (possibly even increasing in value) and can even be resold again in the future should your marketing objectives change. Domain name prices have risen dramatically over the past years as the supply of quality available names becomes ever smaller, and with more and more businesses coming online every day, that picture is unlikely to change anytime soon.

Only a few very savvy firms have already discovered that in this click-hungry era where many companies blow tens of thousands of dollars each month on PPC advertising, that purchasing targeted generic domain names delivers the same type of high quality targeted visitors at a much, much lower cost.

Source

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
amazing read , thank you

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
came across it earlier today, very well written, nice article. thanks Dan

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Maybe I am wrong about the future of all my generic IPTV domains. But my hope is that within 3 years ALL these companies will see the "wisdom" in taking the "multiple' generic domain route to drive targeted traffic to their products and services.

I know this would be a great boom for many of us here...regardless of what sector or business you are interested in.

At least this article seems to back up what I have be thinking for the past 2 years...I for one hope they start to "get it"

Best,
Dan

namesdencom

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Been using this trategy quite successfully for a few years now. Can definitely vouch for the value of multiple domain names which serve two main purposes

1 provides multiple doorways for customers to find you
2 acts as a moat preventing competitors from encroaching on your space.

I might add that the more the merrier should be your guide. We have over 400 (you read it right) names pointing to one of our internet businesses. Now thats comittment to a strategy as I see it.

I would add an important not to businesses considering implementing the strategy. If your going to implement the strategy you will want to go full bore.

Why?

Because as my own experience definitely proves ... the strategy works
and
When your competition finds out that it works so well they will grab the typeins and related names you should have added to your network to complete your successful implementation of the strategy.

Of course the multiple name buy presents great bundle opportunity for resellers :)

my .02 FWIW

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Monte does a 2 part series on this very topic, you can find it on webmasterradio

well worth the listen.

Rick Schwartz also has several posts about this on his blog commenting on soup.com, hotels.com and several others.

The single word names are rare and worth the $$$
the trick for domainers/marketers is to figure out what the generic phrases are that have yet to be reg'ed or acquire them for a "good" price.

Thanks for sharing

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
namesdencom,

Your .02 is worth...billions in sales and savings if these stupid marketers running these ad campaigns for companys....would ever "get it".

Example:

Say Sears is running a couple million dollar a month Google adwords campaign and hypothetically we will say its spending $50,000 a month on the keyword "tool sale".

Now say...they could just buy the domain toolsale .com and SEO a one page landing page and have the links on that page go to sears .com

Cost: domain $10,000
SEO/set up page and get backlinks: $2,000
Link toolsale .com from sears .com to get PR and to help rank in #1 spot on Goggle etc...

Total Investment: $12,000 for life...1/5 of what they are now paying PER MONTH.

Seems like it would make sense to me. Of course they would not have to cut ALL their PPC advertising out...but lets get some 'Balance".

When your spending millions and millions on advertising and all of a sudden you can find yourself saving millions in this area without any real cost and still obtain the same results and most likely better results...its a "no brainer".

Peace,
Dan

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We don't want this to get out. We want companies to pay for keywords. We want the generics for ourselves. Greed!

namesdencom

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Our company was able to reduce ppc by an unbeliveable (but true) 80% over a year ago (and that was a substantial windfall I can assure you). Had some nice vacations in Acapulco with the money saved I'm happy to say and our company just had its best Q1 ever.

BTW I just picked up [city name hidden]HotelPrices.com for a song and do you think any of the Big hotel chains might have received a hit or two from typeins looking for hotel prices in that major city?

This stuff works.. as a domain reseller I am excite about the prospects as a business person I see a lot of missed opportunities because when this success strategy gets out that will mean more sectors that our ambitious company will not be able to jum on quick enough.

Thats ok I'm ready to retire and play golf

SA

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thats a good point...and its great you have already put yourself in the position you find yourself in.

But...from the standpoint of being a (poor) "domainer" and owning ALL the generic .com keywords for a specific sector, business, etc... this could make for some "heavy duty" domain sales for the owners of "keyword domains" down the road....and the "keyword" domain prices to exploded.

Of course this will all depend on when all the "powers to be" become as smart as we all are here....lol

At least thats what I decided to "bet" on rather than trying to "chase" typos etc... I bet on an industry thats about 2-3 years away by investing in all the "generic" keywords I could find for it...and the fact that using multiple generic keyword domains to drive trageted traffic will be the WAVE of the future. Googles profits down ~ Domainers who own generic keyword domain(s)...through the roof!...LOL

Peace,
Dan

BTW: Anyone who has tried or is doing the "typo" / "TM" game knows that these days it can be very problematic. At least whth owning "generic" domains...you don't have to wake up every morning worrying if you have just been sued by a huge company looking for $100,000 per domain name in TM violations and 3x of what they can prove you profited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators