Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Don't trust Toby Clements as a broker!!!!

wohli

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't trust Toby Clements as a broker!!!! A mounth ago i sold a domain name trought the newsletter from Toby Clements. The transaction was smooth from my site...I pushed the domain name directly to the buyer, as Toby confirmed to me that he has the funds. After that I sent Toby my bank info, that he can do the money transfer to me from the domain name. I still don't have any money from him!!! I sent him a lot of emails...some he replyed with excuses, some not... at the end I'm still waiting of my money... I'm very disappointed from him...I thought, that he is a trustful broker. I hope he will send me the money at the and... any thoughts or help about it...

Domain summit 2024

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i, too, am waiting for payment from that dude.
for 40% of the take that guy should be working his ass off to complete deals.
if you have a small deal, dont expect a quick transaction from him.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I sold a domain through him about a year ago, and it took two months (if not more) to finally get the payment.
At the time he was hard to reach and told me he was in the middle of restructuring things, firing people etc :)

I don't know if he's having cash flow problems or just disorganized or overwhelmed.
I am confident you'll get paid, but other members complained about unacceptably slow payments too.

wohli

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering, if he will pay me at all???

Hi,

I sold a domain through him about a year ago, and it took two months (if not more) to finally get the payment.
At the time he was hard to reach and told me he was in the middle of restructuring things, firing people etc :)

I don't know if he's having cash flow problems or just disorganized or overwhelmed.
I am confident you'll get paid, but other members complained about unacceptably slow payments too.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
damn, can I get 40% commission and hold your payment for two months too?

guess it's all in the name

:)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
40% is a lot.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would be knocking on his front door for my money :cool:

40% is insane

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
40% is highway robbery.... more than enough to pay the little wire fee to have it in the seller account same day.

iBizStart

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of people here had similar transactions with him. I don't know what he does with the money when he sells the domains but he holds on to it for a while before releasing payment. Maybe he is using it to get as much interest as he can for as long as he can.

youyouv220

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Did you say 40%!!!!!!!
Go get a broker from Domain holdings! they are better than Tobyclement!
but why is he tacking 40% from you? I had some domain names listed and the commission was only 15%
here is an example for their response:

"Remember, we will charge 15% or $250 (whichever is greater) and will need a 30 day exclusive on the domain. Below are a few things to keep in mind throughout our process:"

youyouv220

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
But I don't think he will get any interest for holding the money for like 2 months unless we are talking 6 or 7 figures...

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
40% commission? I would, as stated above, FAST as in fastest... transfer of funds (within 3 business days maximum, net of him receiving funds from buyer) to my account.

Unless he can negotiate transactions that are 10x more net profitable than someone (and there are several) broker organisations charging say 10-20% commission.

Good luck with this.

Rob

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would be knocking on his front door for my money :cool:

40% is insane

I find it hard to believe he'd still have a front door... :pound:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Whatever the % if he is holding out on people that shit needs to stop, quick. Not acceptable in our business, and to be honest I never had much luck with that guy he always lowballed anything I sent him while he was selling shitty names for 5x as much.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is there a contract or terms that state how long or when payment will be made? If you are dealing in four, five figures or above there should be some form of terms to at least go by. The standard broker commission in the industry is 15%, I've paid higher for people who can go above and beyond or who do extra work to sell a name. I don't believe he's sold a name for me before but do believe we've talked on the phone.. I can see how he's a good salesman which is what you want. Getting payment is another.. there should be no need for someone to hang onto the payment for 30+ days.. unless it was paid by cc or some other method that could be charged back.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why can't the deal be done via escrow, with him acting as the broker, and the buyer/seller present in the transaction. Once the deal is done, everyone get's their cut, and off they go.

DomainMagnate

Domain Magnate™
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
40% WOW! I don't think that's correct though, most brokers I know usually start at 15-25% max and could go down to 10% or even less if you bargain a bit and have decent domains to sell.

His prices are well above the market values though, I always wondered who the heck buys domains through a newsletter.

Does anyone know how big is his list?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How did all of this come about? Does he have a site? Who is he?

I am in awe that someone would push a domain to anyone outside of a secure site like escrow.com or moniker's escrow or afternic.

Seriously...why are you even trusting someone to handle a transaction for you if you don't have the funds or the funds are not in escrow or he/she is not one of the brokers with a long track record of handling transactions.

If the brokering service contacted me (sedo, etc) I would be more inclined to let them handle the transaction because that is what they do and have been doing it for years and have a very public profile.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators