Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Dot US Mania

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024

Hi firstperson,

Since there isn't really a sales history yet for .us its pretty hard to put any sort of value on them, so its a case of wait and see. The only auction that I have followed is Tee's ass.us which was at about $200 last I saw with 36 hrs to go.

btw: Just how close are .us registrations to 1 million? last I heard the number was more like 200,000 -300,000 and I would assume that registration numbers would slow pretty quickly after the first week.

F

firstPerson

Hi -snoopy.US- is gone,

From the news that I've been following it's closing to half a millon.
These might not be the accurate statistics but it's clearly is evident. The domains that I've seen just and hour back are gone.
So, no doubt the dot US enthusiasm has taken many by surprise.

-firstPerson
Go live with US @ http://www.GoLive.US

From everything I can tell the Zone file is not available to be downloaded yet. The domain count is probably closer to 400k than 500k, as the first week only registered about 200k with another 50k reserved by the Registry. The Registry is spending significant money on advertising right now though, so things should stay relatively strong - though no where near as strong as the initial surge of speculators.

The Zone file should be available soon, the Registry informed me it would be available mid-May when I asked back in mid April.

-t

Speaking of zone files, what is the process of acquiring the .COM/.NET/.ORG zone files?

Originally posted by timechange
Speaking of zone files, what is the process of acquiring the .COM/.NET/.ORG zone files?
You fill out a form from Verisign's site, fax it to them, wait a month and argue over whether you have actually sent it in or not, then get an account login on their FTP server that permits a specific IP address access to the Zone files.

Nothing to it.

The COM zone file is about 6Gig uncompressed these days...

-t

I tried last year. Waited and gave up.
How big is the file COMPRESSED?

bash$ ls -l

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 320031509 Apr 20 21:34 com.zone.gz

Total Registrations

.com
1/31/02 total registrations 22,610,316
2/28/02 total registrations 22,187,641
DOWN - 422,675

.net
1/31/02 total registrations 3,953,210
2/28/02 total registrations 3,846,007
DOWN -107,203

.org
1/31/02 total registrations 2,468,091
2/28/02 total registrations 2,418,123
DOWN - 49,968

* total .com/net/org combined #'s
1/31/02 total registrations 29,031,617
2/28/02 total registrations 28,451,771
DOWN - 579,846

.biz
1/31/02 total registrations 520,274
2/28/02 total registrations 554,638
UP + 34,364

.info
1/31/02 total registrations 711,758
2/28/02 total registrations 740,559
UP + 28,801

** .biz & .info combined had an increase
over one mth. period of UP + 63,165

.name
1/31/02 n/a
2/28/02 total registrations 62,334

* The DOWN/loss - in .com/.net/.org of
and the UP/increase + in .biz/.info
of 63,165

brings a balance of total names
DOWN - 516, 681
(not including .name)

* hence, the .us figure of maybe 500,000
is on target.
Would make sensible 'balance' with the LOSS/Down
figures of the .com/net/org & the increase in the
.biz & .info.

Originally posted by WandaMay
Total Registrations

brings a balance of total names
DOWN - 516, 681
(not including .name)

* hence, the .us figure of maybe 500,000
is on target.
Would make sensible 'balance' with the LOSS/Down
figures of the .com/net/org & the increase in the
.biz & .info.

wanda just wondering where these figures came from? and is .us included in the total as its a country code extension?

Originally posted by thewitt
bash$ ls -l

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 320031509 Apr 20 21:34 com.zone.gz

Thanks, at 300 Mb gunzipped I stand a chance with my current hosting plan :D

right Snoopy, so the #'s of defecit in the 'negative' reg's of the .com/net & org..
could shed light on the # of reg's for the .us

Originally posted by WandaMay
right Snoopy, so the #'s of defecit in the 'negative' reg's of the .com/net & org..
could shed light on the # of reg's for the .us

wouldn't that just indicate com/net/org names which have been dropped?

that factor has to come into play as well (drop names) but many may have drop'd their .com's and pre-reg with .us ? would be good to see a grid like that of the entire year to date.

i don't think the number of end users of these gtld's is shrinking at all.

one of the big reasons for the .com/.net/org shrinkage is that alot of speculators who regged large quantities of names are letting them go as they discover that a registration doesn't guarantee a sale.

when you consider that every 4 letter domain was regged at one stage (most to one company), that accounts for 456,976 domains in one swoop.

T

Tee

I think .us might be bigger than many people who view it as just a redundant cc extension think it will be.

The reasons I do is

1). There is a good and wealthy registry behind it in neustar/neulevel. They have actually communicated with members at the icann forum, listening to concerns and acting on them especially in .biz matters, but also with a few .us issues. This is unheard of in this business. They are also advertising the extension.

2). Whether we like it or not, the us and us products are very in demand. The economic and cultural impact of the us on the world could hardly ever be overestimated. The US by far has the richest economy in the world. .US represents this. And the restrictions in a way feeds the flame, making it look exclusive. In reality, the nexus requirements can really easily be met and you are given a great chance at meeting them even if you are challenged.

3). The internet and .com has roots as a us phenomenon. Now that country comes out with a cc specific for it? It is little wonder it is being registered at a blisteringly blindingly fast rate. Possibly faster than all other tlds combined for the same period?

The whole us patriotism thing probably doesn't hurt either.

The make or break point for any tld is use. It has to be advertised. It seems the registry itself is ready to do it ven if business is not quite ready.

I think all in all, the prospects look good.

Personally though, i like .info. Its a shame neustar doesn't have that one.

Originally posted by safesys
i don't think the number of end users of these gtld's is shrinking at all.

one of the big reasons for the .com/.net/org shrinkage is that alot of speculators who regged large quantities of names are letting them go as they discover that a registration doesn't guarantee a sale.

safesys,

what do you think of the http://www.zooknic.com/Domains/counts.html

stats, according to their stats com/net/org registrations really haven't fallen much at all over the last year or so,

April 14 2002 .com - 21,581,810 .net - 3,710,409 .org- 2,372,801
April 11 2001 .com - 22,366,367 .net - 4,286,404 .org- 2,726,629

Would you agree with those figures, which suggest less than a 5% fall in .com?

Originally posted by snoopy

safesys,

what do you think of the http://www.zooknic.com/Domains/counts.html

stats, according to their stats com/net/org registrations really haven't fallen much at all over the last year or so,

April 14 2002 .com - 21,581,810 .net - 3,710,409 .org- 2,372,801
April 11 2001 .com - 22,366,367 .net - 4,286,404 .org- 2,726,629

Would you agree with those figures, which suggest less than a 5% fall in .com?

that's a decent one year comparisn.

However, what's interesting when reviewing Snoopy's figures & the one's i posted (my post only was 'same year' #'s against 'same year' previous mth) so, my grid only compared Jan-31-Feb28 of this year..
in which reg's of the .c/.n/.o = 579,846 LOSSs
while the whole year figures show a total of = 1,714,380 LOSS

So, in the one month before .us registrations, in one mth. the
whole .com/net/org registrations took nearly 34% of the ENTIRE year's loss.

Thats why i think that drastic loss the mth. right up to the .us opening etc.. of 34%, leads me to believe the .us registrations were very healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators