Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Dotcom with dashes v dotnet without?

Status
Not open for further replies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, I see that, James. But if you do a good job, isn't there a chance that after a few months your dotnet will come above the dotcom on the search engine? Unless people put the address straight into the bar, when that won't matter.

I've had .orgs and .nets beat out .coms for SER but people will still type in .co. If people hear about your site and address, many people will type in .com and give the owner of the .com traffic that was intended for you.

Domain Summit 2024

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, so it's beginning to sound as if there's really no point in having dotnets or dotorgs unless to support dotcomes - so what's the point in having them at all? I can see that a dotorg might be needed as a main site for, say, a charity, so that people don't think the site is a commercial one, but presumably the dotcom is still needed to support it.

(And, of course, because my thread title had a typo it seems to have generated more interest than any of those that didn't, lol.)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.coms are only good for type-ins. When it comes to SEO - it doesn't matter whether it is a .com, .net, .org, .cz, or .scuzzlebutt, search engines don't care.

It all depends on where you expect the traffic to come from - if you're good at SEO and expect people to be searching for you, then it won't matter. If you're expecing people to type in domain.net then the domain.com will get some of your traffic.

Don't give up so easily - my .org beat a .com in SEO so bad that the owner of the .com gave up and I was able later to get it in a drop - the .com now points to my .org. ;)

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you got very generic .net or .org, not bad to develop them.

e.g

Lifeinsurance.net
Petinsurance.org etc...

dominator

Corporate Design, Naming & Branding
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Develop the .net and point the .com.

that would be (almost) useless
type-in traffic for two hyphens?

However, some European countries especially German like hyphenated domains.
At least that's what I heard

true, but not for any phrase
and it must be .de

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.net

either way the owner of the .com without dashed will receive some of your traffic.
And,

As a new domains and site, you would get some of the dot com's traffic.

I think many people fail to consider this into the equation.

Too long domainers have proclaimed, "Yeah, but you would lose traffic to the .com".

How is it possible that someone can take a name the does not exist, reg it, and "lose traffic" that was never there to begin with?

You don't!

Any traffic you get and see and measure is traffic gained, not lost. But that traffic is coming FROM somewhere. All traffic is a net gain, not a lose.

If you had IceCreamCones dot com and I regged Ice-Cream-Cones dot com, who is losing traffic and who is gaining traffic?

I view it as a diversion or diverting traffic to your site, to your name.

It is ALL a net gain, not a lose.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, my head is whirling. What a response! But I feel very hopeful now that I can make something of my domains, whatever they are. I'm certainly going to give them my best shot and whatever the results it will be very interesting to see them.

I regged XXXX-XXXXX.com because I'm crazy about the topic and the nonhyphenated is parked, and I also have a couple of dotorgs of common phrases for which I already have a lot of content gathered over the years and both of whose dotorgs and dotnets are parked, so I suppose developing them will be by way of an experiment.

Thanks so much for all the help and I'll let you all know how I get on - though it may be a little time before I have anything - positive or negative - to report.

Acquisition

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Avoid dashes altogether and concentrate on very good generics. Stick to what makes people millions in this business.

I have been in this business since the 90's, and every year people try to reinvent the wheel. And all of them end up looking foolish in the long run..

VictorLazlo

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I found a great traffic name-the .com`s taken but its a parked site. Can a .net be successfully monetized if build an attractive site?

TE=Pink Misfit;1727976]I would purchase both. Develop the .net and point the .com. Im rather backwards.[/QUOTE]

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Avoid dashes altogether and concentrate on very good generics. Stick to what makes people millions in this business.

I have been in this business since the 90's, and every year people try to reinvent the wheel. And all of them end up looking foolish in the long run..
That's an archaic 90's tenet and doesn't hold true today. Two dashes even are fine as long as they don't separate a maximum of three distinct keywords.

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
com without dashes is king..

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
However, some European countries especially German like hyphenated domains.

This is because in the German language, many words are naturally hyphenated, and don't exist unhyphenated... or un-hyphenated if you prefer

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is because in the German language, many words are naturally hyphenated, and don't exist unhyphenated... or un-hyphenated if you prefer
On the contrary multiple words are sticked together in German :confused:

Domainx09

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great question and responses, I think a word-word.com has about the same value as a wordword.net so was good to get both. It seems like there are a lot of word-word.com's selling these days for high prices.

DTalk

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Depends on your strategy, too...

If you just park - then, neither a hyphen .com, nor a .net, is likely to earn you much, if anything......But, if development comes in to your plans, its quite different, imo.

Eg...I've just acquired Solar-Panels.org...both a hyphen & a .org.....My intention is to develop it...

...My thinking is that the hyphen won't matter to the Search Engines for ranking with good SEO....the 'org' lends authority to this topic, where people will look for confidence in products....the plural works especially well for the solar panels product....and....both of the hyphen & non-hyphen version of the .coms & .nets are either parked, or don't resolve, and, so a developed site (.org, and hyphen, or not) should beat the .com & .net version(s) hands down.

Whatever (probably small) traffic leak from my developed hyphen .org to the parked non-hyphen .com won't make much difference to my revenue from a well-promoted .org site, if it ranks high in the SERPs, imo.

...Same thinking goes for your hyphen/non-hyphen dilemma - whatever the extension - all things being equal.

Last edited:

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I go for both when available and especially when repeating letters are separated by the hyphen. For example I prefer super-reactor.com over superreactor.com

Just my quirk..

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
grab both... you can always make your mind up later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom