Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

dotster Dotster changing

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Dotster.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dotster's changes have been for the worse. They are the same people at MyDomain.com and Domain.com and others. The original Dotster even had clever marketing when I entered domaining (the Doster Dots, etc) and their UI was OK, the website was clean and w/a lot of options although somewhat convoluted at times. They charged too much and the extras cost too much too so I haven't had that many names there.

Now if you go to Dotster.com it looks like one of those awful Directi resellers of which manage.SnapNames.com was the most infamous, that one went belly up months after I began. So they've cheapened their look at Dotster, big registrars which offer many services and don't need the volume have no need for that. I may find them expensive but people with money may use them so the way a website looks is crucial. C/S was always lousy but I found security to be OK.

Domain summit 2024

woeger

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would not delete the domain, because the Registrar may hold the domain for themselves. Sorry to hear about this situation. Let us know how this turns out.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another thing, last time I moved a name out of Dotster they emailed me something saying if I clicked on a link I could "accept or deny" the transfer out. Well, it was not that. I clicked on the link and the system NEVER asked me whether I wanted to accept/deny it, which is what I went there for. Instead, clicking on the link is designed to be taken as DENYING the transfer, period. I immediately got an email from the new registrar saying the owner had rejected the transfer and it had been cancelled. Then Dotster emails me thanking me for staying w/them one more year. WTF ! I was put on hold forever when I called complaining and was eventually told "You're free to restart the transfer" Will you believe this ? The email text clearly reads the link would take you to a page where you could accept/decline the transfer, but that's all bullshit. Do not click on anything if you get this. Just wait the five required days max and the thing will complete on its own. JERKS !

crazyd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Another thing, last time I moved a name out of Dotster they emailed me something saying if I clicked on a link I could "accept or deny" the transfer out. Well, it was not that. I clicked on the link and the system NEVER asked me whether I wanted to accept/deny it, which is what I went there for. Instead, clicking on the link is designed to be taken as DENYING the transfer, period. I immediately got an email from the new registrar saying the owner had rejected the transfer and it had been cancelled. Then Dotster emails me thanking me for staying w/them one more year. WTF ! I was put on hold forever when I called complaining and was eventually told "You're free to restart the transfer" Will you believe this ? The email text clearly reads the link would take you to a page where you could accept/decline the transfer, but that's all bullshit. Do not click on anything if you get this. Just wait the five required days max and the thing will complete on its own. JERKS !

I am not sure what you mean. I have transferred many domains out of Dotster, and the "accept or deny" email comes about 24 hours later (in fact, it seems to come at about 2:15 pm EST). There is an "accept" radio button and a "deny" radio button below it. The email header is a DOMAIN.COM logo. The only confusing issue is that this email refers to the gaining registrar as a number code, not the registrar name. Anyhow, it used to be that we had to wait 6 full days to transfer-out. Now you can do it in 24 hours. You may have accidentally hit the TAB key or something and unknowingly denied the transfer, I bet that's what happened. I have transferred-out a couple hundred domains and I have not had a problem yet.

crazyd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One thing I will mention to everyone is to AVOID pushing domains between Dotster accounts right now. A few weeks ago I pushed a lot of domains to another Dotster account of mine, and this
week they "came back" mysteriously to the original Dotster account, along with the couple hundred or so domains I already transferred out to another registrar. It seems their backup system is somehow re-imaging the accounts, or something. I should think this would not be the time to sell domains and push them to another account. If you sell domains, have the buyer transfer the domain out of Dotster to another registrar.

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah Dotster is just plain awful.

They moved everything to this crappy new interface where they started this new thing where you have to 'refresh' your domain in order to get the latest information including expiration date, etc. It is a total joke.

And now I just found out that 100+ domains have somehow magically changed dns settings in the last week. Gee thanks guys.

I am moving my most important domains away as fast as possible. They are just totally clueless!

crazyd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am moving my most important domains away as fast as possible. They are just totally clueless!

The best time to get your most valuable domains out was BEFORE the transition to the new platform. In the transition, your domains were physically transferred to Tucows, the new registrar which Domain.com "uses". However if you missed this optimal timing as I did, I would definitely get any valuable domains out of there now. I have already done so myself.

crazyd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had a reseller website with Dotster since 2003 and I just today closed it down. Rather than stranding my 100+ customers, I had their domains pushed to Domain.com by submitting tickets laboriously over a 3 month period. One thing I will say is that Dotster had the commission checks to me on time, never any problem there. Kinda sad but I had to do this for my own sanity's sake.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
they screwed over a number of domain owners i am sure. i had a number of domains that for some reason dotster/mydomain added a year on without charging me when the domains moved from the old platform to the new one. i thought it was a bit strange but hey, i wasn't going to complain but eventually these domains went into redemption without warning. what a bunch of idiots. though i should of realized nothing is free and that was a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom