Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Dotster's Free Domain Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Free Domain Monitoring
Tired of waiting for that perfect, seemingly unattainable domain name to become available? Let us keep an eye on it for you with Domain Monitoring!
With Domain Monitoring, we'll save the domains you've searched for and check them for availability every hour. If any of them become available for registration, we'll automatically send you an e-mail to let you know! There's never been an easier way to get the domain names you really want.

Domain Monitoring can be managed through Dotster's account management interface and is an absolutely free service for all Dotster customers.

http://web.dotster.com/products/domaintools/dt_domainmonitoring.php

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i saw that. only problem is there are a million services like that already, and if the name is of any value it will be gone by the time you read the email

tonyk2000

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Two things -
1) how do we know Dotster (running namewinner!) may actually wish to waste its registry connections for that free service?
I guess they may promptly check WHOIS on registry level awiting for "not found" message instead. So their e-mail would be delayed!
2) Even registrars and/or their employees may wish to obtain lists of good names. Maybe I'm paranoid...

MarkMitford

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domain monitoring isn't really for active speculators such as yourselves, it is more for someone looking to register a domain for their website and their first choices are already taken, if any of them drop in the future and aren't attractive enough to be snapped up by one of you they will be informed and they can easily register that name. We are talking about the kind of names that only get one bid on Namewinner and that we pick up by the hundreds all the time.

KidKool: there are similar services but this is the only one that automatically remembers everything you searched for, and lets you edit that list.

Tony 1): If there was a choice between using registry connections to try to grab a $10K namewinner bid or to check availability of a domain monitoring name, I'm sure you can guess where the resources would go. However as I say above this is a tool for people looking for names that aren't those typically grabbed by the speculator community, we are talking about names they would like to consider registering if they are available in the future.

Tony 2): Unlike the rumors about some registrars, Dotster has never kept data on the searches people make. With this service we will be keeping that data for the people who use domain monitoring (you can easily turn it off on the search results page or in account management), but only the customer themselves will be able to see that data. I don't know about the rest of the staff at Dotster but I am kept so busy that I don't have time to trawl through the thousands and thousands of searches every day looking for something good, especially as by definition any name in the domain monitoring system will be unavailable. :)

I appreciate the feedback on domain monitoring feel free to post here, PM me or email me with any additional comments.

Mark......

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i saw that. only problem is there are a million services like that already, and if the name is of any value it will be gone by the time you read the email

Sorry for my ignorance but I am not aware of another service that offers this for free. Snapnames monitoring service only notifies you once a week, so you know that is worthless.

If you know of another service, please let me know, if not I think Dotster is worth a go.

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if the domain is of value it will not be available for more than a second or two. i suppose it could be useful for second rate names that don't have snaps on them. even then they would not be available more than a couple hours. who knows, try it and let us know:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators