Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Down, yes; Dead, no; Fun, absolutely!!

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Despair has been shown in several recent threads.

'Da net is not dead!!!

Point 1. It is a reality that iBiz has never been worse; the domain name after-market reflects that.

Point 2. The broader market itself (DOW and NASDAQ) is similarly down across the board. It is as bad as has been in the last five years. The domain name after-market reflects that.

I point to signs of vigor.

a. People still are willing to pay 4 or 5 figure dollars for domains they want for their businesses. In fact, as some of you know on this board, I may turn down just one such offer for a 4-char dot-net and hold the domain instead.

b. People increasingly conduct business over the net. While the entrepreneurial business is slower; the bricks and mortar migration to the net continues. Bottom line: the net is here to stay--and in a big way.

c. People will still pay pocket change for "fun" vanity or generic/descriptive/fanciful domains. Hey, when you can play for $8 a year, that is cheap entertainment.

d. Occasionally, people will pay a bit more than pocket change for "fun" or generic/descriptive/fanciful domains, making those who paid only pocket change (under point c., above, a bit richer in the process.

e. There are many forms of entertainment that the domain name after-market can provide: a few bucks here and there; keep one out of the seedy bars at night; make an occasional big sale; or, even, land the domain sale that will ensure your family's future well-being. You can play at any risk and reward return level at which you feel comfortable.

If the domain name after-market becomes an addiction, like gambling, then get help if you can't give it up on your own.

But for me, boys and girls,

'though the net is Down, it is not Dead, while, still, absolutely, Fun.

Domain summit 2024

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dotsofdomains

If the domain name after-market becomes an addiction, like gambling, then get help if you can't give it up on your own.

Hello.
My name is Nic.
I am a Nicoholic.
I have been sober now for 1 year.
:)

IPatlas

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Keep up the faith. To say that domain names are out is like saying your home address will be changed to 123.11.55.90 (renewable daily based on the pastman's route)! Do you think this is going to happen soon!?

Of course not. People will move arond, businesses will want a unique "address" on the internet as they want a unique street address. It's the nature of being human, doing business, and identifying oneself to the rest of the good-exchanging world. I don't think anyone can postulate that domain names are going nowhere.

What we are seeing is a backlash of the "craze" several years back. One way to see it is, the junk (domain names) will be flushed out (ie expire) and a new base for trading domain names will form.

True, some rules may change. True, some class B or C domain names will be useless. Still, value will prevail and folks will hang on to their unique identity on the web plus more ordinary citizens will want to claim their "domain" under their own name, or even street address, so they can be visible to their friends and even leave a trail of cyberhistory for generations to come.

I think the internet is here to stay and so are the marks of individuality on the web as means of public disclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators