Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

End-User agrees to buy domain and 48 hours later cancels

Status
Not open for further replies.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
End User agreed to pay for domain and emailed me the words, ILL BUY IT, don't sell it to anyone else.

2 days later, the end user refuses to make payment.

I have issued him a 72 hour notice to make payment or I will expose him to the world wide web that he can't be trusted as a business man and company that operates for the public.

Am I doing the right thing by exposing him? If we let people/end users cancel a contract as they wish, then we are the losers!

I'm not happy about this! The ahole, did not even email me to tell me he has decided to cancel the deal. I had to email him twice, since he told me he would reply back with payment 24 hours ago!

Domain Summit 2024

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I dont personally consider a deal done until the money is in my account. Technically and legally however, once he accepts your offer, there is a binding contract. I would stay away from the public shaming game because its a two street and can be risky to you, depending how far you go. It can be more hassle than its worth.

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
making such a fuss is only reaffirming in his mind that he made the right choice to walk away.

"Well, ok... but realize that when you do come back next time I won't make you nearly as good a deal" is by far the better approach as it does not make them think that you are so desperate. And, really... your current reaction just screams that.

cleverlyslick

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IMO I don't think you should expose the buyer. after all he is a buyer,don't turn him off to the idea of doing business with a domainer. what you can do probably is charge an extra fee for not keeping his end of the bargain provided you still own the domain and he comes back in the future with the money.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it takes days or weeks to complete a transaction with an end user and don't expect them to be FAST like domainer. Also, they may have cold feet if you try to push the deal too fast.

I would not waste anytime with them. Move on.

wolfis.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if i had a nickle for every time this happens - even with DNF members , i would be rich !

just forget about it and move on.

Jag.me

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Move on mate.

I personally would be happy if 100 people emailed me like the ones you got, and say only 4-5 people go though a deal.

rmnarmenta

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agree with the majority. Don't waste your time. Direct all that negative energy towards something positive. You'll feel better about it down the road.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
End User agreed to pay for domain and emailed me the words, ILL BUY IT, don't sell it to anyone else.

I have issued him a 72 hour notice to make payment or I will expose him to the world wide web that he can't be trusted as a business man and company that operates for the public.

Am I doing the right thing by exposing him? If we let people/end users cancel a contract as they wish, then we are the losers!

I'm not happy about this! The ahole, did not even email me to tell me he has decided to cancel the deal. I had to email him twice, since he told me he would reply back with payment 24 hours ago!

Depends if the "end user" contacted you, or if you contacted the "end user" IMHO.

If you are the one initiating contact then its par for the course. Other way around, then its a different story.

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When he said he wants you to hold it, you should have reply I will hold it for you to make payment with in 24 hours.

That then stops the waiting game you will never win, they likely kept looking and found one they like better, if they can't get all the funds in 24 hours. Then tell them they need to give a deposit with 24 hours, it will work much better not to give them, to much time to think about it.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your opinions on this matter, as stated - when an end user or buyer - emails you a sold message. That person should be accountable for their word! However, since we live in a world made of errors. I have to agree with all of you the best choice is to move on and direct my energy into positive thoughts.

That said, I just got back from a Fashion Show and finished checking my emails to only find an email from the end user asking me, what guarantee does he have as a buyer that I would deliver the domain name, once I receive payment. My last email to him, I explained how dirt cheap my price is, and why someone like himself in a big industry full of competition would give up so easily on a great investment opportunity. I also told him, his actions to pull out from the contract is lame!

I guess in this case, my negative reply had a positive impact.

Trust was not the issue, since I initiated 3 payment options, escrow, paypal, credit card. He has raised the trust issue, but I believe - he has come to realize how stupid it would be if he missed this investment opportunity for his business.

I rest my case.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Very often people get cold feet, but they might yet change their minds and the transaction can proceed as normal. In this case, when you've already threatened him about public exposure, then I think you can wave bye-bye to this deal.

If an end-user tries to back out of the deal, just be polite and tell them that they are welcome to contact you again in the future if they change their mind, then move on.

HomerJ

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your opinions on this matter, as stated - when an end user or buyer - emails you a sold message. That person should be accountable for their word! However, since we live in a world made of errors. I have to agree with all of you the best choice is to move on and direct my energy into positive thoughts.

That said, I just got back from a Fashion Show and finished checking my emails to only find an email from the end user asking me, what guarantee does he have as a buyer that I would deliver the domain name, once I receive payment. My last email to him, I explained how dirt cheap my price is, and why someone like himself in a big industry full of competition would give up so easily on a great investment opportunity. I also told him, his actions to pull out from the contract is lame!

Trust was not the issue, since I initiated 3 payment options, escrow, paypal, credit card. He has raised the trust issue, but I believe - he has come to realize how stupid it would be if he missed this investment opportunity for his business.

I rest my case.

a way that I might have phrased it initially is to explain that in the two days that you have been holding the domain as he asked, you may have had some other leads that walked, and therefore you already lost a potential sale of the domain to another buyer, and this is quite unfair from your perspective, if he does not proceed on the purchase. That way he will understand that while he dilly-dallied, your domain was off the market and thus you lost a potential sale to someone else, leaving you high and dry. he should feel a little more guilty about it and this generally improves your prospect that he will buy.

as to the trust issue, I might say something like, "think about when you go to any store, you don't get to leave with the merchandise until after you've paid for it. the cashier rings you up first and then you can take your goods home. this is the standard way to do business." if he still feels that insecure you could offer to sign a sales agreement so he will have the deal in writing.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The best way to handle the situation intially is basically by making him look like a broke loser. Just say something like I hope you can find a suitable domain in your budget. Or domain.info (or whatever extention) is available to register, etc. Don't lose your cool and don't come off as desperate.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I rest my case.

Hi

your responses show lack of/lapses of professionalism as you injected a great deal of emotion into your communications.

thus, you lost the business "aura" and that's why i believe the "trust" factor came in.

the payment options you gave are NOT really the most secure, even for a domainer, and for an end-user they are perceived as "risky".

i would advise in the future to include Sedo as a payment option, since they can truly provide a "secure transaction" for both parties.

this concept below i have problem with:

how can something be "dirt cheap" in a "competitive industry" and still be a "great investment opportunity"...at the same time?

that in itself would make me kinda suspicious

still... perhaps this potential will come back and you can get a sale.

Good Luck!

imo...

Domain Jedi

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have an end user company whose business development director has made an offer which I accepted. It has now been 2 weeks and he is still working with the CFO to sign off of the domain purchase. Based on what I have read in this thread, I am taking a more relaxed approach. These things can take time I suppose.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My last decent sale took almost 4 months to complete! If you get a quick sale consider yourself lucky, otherwise expect them to take time. Depending on the situation, you can try to speed it along by giving a time limit to receive funds, and having them agree to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom