Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

End user asks "What value is this domain to me?"

dcmstreams

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Good morning,
I have a domain that I feel an end user could use as an informational marketing tool or as a redirect to their main site. The domain is "Eattonourish.com". I reached out to CEO's and Presidents who sell organic healthy foods. One of the presidents called me and asked me a very important question: "What value does this domain have to me?" Since I was driving, he asked me to gather some information and get back to him via email. Now I'm stuck. This is my very first interaction with anyone even remotely interested in one of my domains. What information should I give him to have a better chance of closing the sale? Thanks for any guidance?

~ Not for long Novice

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello,

You must have at least one reason, otherwise why did you buy it in the first place ? Why did you contact them if they already have a domain name ? Is it better than what they are currently using ? For instance if they currently have an adverse domain or that is hard to remember, then it makes sense to suggest a better domain as an 'upgrade'.
Or it could be a domain that is more generic, or complements their current range of products/services.

Does the domain have residual traffic perhaps ?
I see that the domain was registered two months ago. But it's been registered in the past (between 2009 and 2014). Archive.org doesn't show much development though. Apparently it's been parked at godaddy.
The .org is registered too (since last month), is this yours ?

Note that the sales pitch must be individualized, and will vary depending on the lead.
On the other hand:
  • good names speak for themselves, thus the sales pitch should be minimal
  • end users get it or they don't - it's usually a waste of time to educate them
Think about it, if your domain has absolutely no merit, then you are just spamming people to buy your domains.
And if you don't even see value in the name yourself, it's even less likely that somebody else will :) Good luck.

dcmstreams

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello,

You must have at least one reason, otherwise why did you buy it in the first place ? Why did you contact them if they already have a domain name ? Is it better than what they are currently using ? For instance if they currently have an adverse domain or that is hard to remember, then it makes sense to suggest a better domain as an 'upgrade'.
Or it could be a domain that is more generic, or complements their current range of products/services.

Does the domain have residual traffic perhaps ?
I see that the domain was registered two months ago. But it's been registered in the past (between 2009 and 2014). Archive.org doesn't show much development though. Apparently it's been parked at godaddy.
The .org is registered too (since last month), is this yours ?

Note that the sales pitch must be individualized, and will vary depending on the lead.
On the other hand:
  • good names speak for themselves, thus the sales pitch should be minimal
  • end users get it or they don't - it's usually a waste of time to educate them
Think about it, if your domain has absolutely no merit, then you are just spamming people to buy your domains.
And if you don't even see value in the name yourself, it's even less likely that somebody else will :) Good luck.
All true. Yes the .org is also mine. Thanks for the lesson. I don't want to be known as a spammer. Makes me go back to the drawing board. Now I have to rethink my other domain "custommadecribs.com" that I was also going to shop (now I know it's called spamming) to a few companies that I thought could use the domain ( not because it's necessarily better; but because it is an exact product that they offer). Oh boy! I have a lot to learn. Thanks again!

Last edited:

ulterios

Don't look back, it's confusing!
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Katherine is right, you must have had a reason to register the domain. What was that reason and can you build on the reason. Do a little research and also as Katherine said, good domains speak for themselves. Obviously the end user was at least a little interested or he wouldn't have contacted you back.

Look into the company's info, current domain, etc . and see if you can find a couple of selling points. Maybe point out to them that this could be a slogan or advertising campaign for their company. It also makes an appropriate name for the type of business that they are in.

Good luck with the sell.

dcmstreams

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Katherine is right, you must have had a reason to register the domain. What was that reason and can you build on the reason. Do a little research and also as Katherine said, good domains speak for themselves. Obviously the end user was at least a little interested or he wouldn't have contacted you back.

Look into the company's info, current domain, etc . and see if you can find a couple of selling points. Maybe point out to them that this could be a slogan or advertising campaign for their company. It also makes an appropriate name for the type of business that they are in.

Good luck with the sell.[/QUOTE

Good luck with the sell.
Thanks for your response. I bought the domain for myself. To possibly use it for blogging. A friend was ranting about overeating and asking for help (I'm a vegan- friends are always asking for my advice). So I thought I'd start a blog about not just eating to satisfy our tastebuds but eating to nourish our bodies. Give information on foods and companies that are providing good wholesome foods that nourish the body, etc. The letters that I sent to the companies suggest that they could use the name as a portal where they talk about how eating healthy nourishes the body, how their products are the go-to products in their industry, where consumers can purchase their products, and how to prepare the foods. I also suggested that they could use the domain as a redirect to their current site (am I saying that correctly?). I reached out to CEO's of several well known companies. Maybe I should have asked my question before reaching out. But sometimes you have to dive right in and see what happens. Thanks for the awesome feedback.

ulterios

Don't look back, it's confusing!
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I bought the domain for myself. To possibly use it for blogging. A friend was ranting about overeating and asking for help (I'm a vegan- friends are always asking for my advice). So I thought I'd start a blog about not just eating to satisfy our tastebuds but eating to nourish our bodies. Give information on foods and companies that are providing good wholesome foods that nourish the body, etc. The letters that I sent to the companies suggest that they could use the name as a portal where they talk about how eating healthy nourishes the body, how their products are the go-to products in their industry, where consumers can purchase their products, and how to prepare the foods. I also suggested that they could use the domain as a redirect to their current site (am I saying that correctly?). I reached out to CEO's of several well known companies. Maybe I should have asked my question before reaching out. But sometimes you have to dive right in and see what happens. Thanks for the awesome feedback.
You are most welcome.

The name would be great to use as a blog for what you suggested. If you can get some nice articles written and posted up with as much information as possible, then drive some traffic to it and get the word spread about it. You can monetize it with some affiliate ads with appropriate products that fit in with what the blog is about.

I guess if you don't sell the name then you can always go the blog route. Develop it into a nice site and that will increase it's value as well.

Good luck with whatever happens with it.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators