Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

End-User Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooManyDomains

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What's up All-

Was curious to see if anyone felt like sharing stories of their end-user sales

Small or Large, I always find these interesting.

nattydomain

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good thread,

My end user sales (just a handfull) are always they contact me first. One was for $2500 to a oregon promotions company and another was for a cable co for $1200. Both names never got hardly any traffic and the first one I haggled down but the second they came out the door with that price and I took it.

Other small ones to but in the past few months I been trying to contact companies for sales. Only good with 1 for $250 but again that domain still had no traffic and was bought for around reg fee.

TooManyDomains

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's cool. Always good to hear. I'm surprised of how little end-users have contacted me in the past. I've sold a real estate domain to a realtor and a couple product domains to the company that sold them, but I had to contact them, which I don't love doing.

cleverlyslick

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
like how do the end users find you and get in contact with you?

do you promote your domain(s) on a website?
i would like to know because i made end user sales in the past but i had to hustle and scramble to find them.cold calling like 100 people a week.gets pretty pricey on the phone bill :undecided:. it would be nice to get contacted once in a while for sales lol.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If you have premium domains, you should not have to promote your domains to get an end user sale. I sit and wait...the best end user sales are the ones that make contact first.

If you contact someone, they seem to think that you're trying to sell them something that they don't need. So, you can't extract as much as you should be able to.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I sold an old .com to a recruitment firm in London, UK. It happened to fit their rebranding strategy.
Asking price was 10K.
After some back and forth negotiation (and 10 months later) we agreed on 6K. They were still hesitant to proceed given the poor economy.
Then I received a 5K offer at Sedo from another party. I told the firm it was now or never to secure the name and the sale was expedited :)

Most of the time I receive offers via Sedo instead of direct contact.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In a typical year, I have a few end-user sales in the $200-$500 range and a couple in low $x,xxx. (My other thousands of sales have been lower-priced flips, mostly on the forums.)

All of the end-user buyers have found me - although I've tried some direct end-user sales, I've had no success yet. About half of those sales have come at Sedo; the others were either at Afternic or to people who contacted me through whois.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What's up All-

Was curious to see if anyone felt like sharing stories of their end-user sales

Small or Large, I always find these interesting.

I let a name that had highly questionable value expire/drop. A year later someone else got it and dropped it. Next person hand-regged it and developed it into something of little to no value (ie, revenue, but was a good idea).

I still had the name in my sedo account at this point and an offer for $7500 came in. Surprise the person (end-user) paid after I obtained the name from the developer. I'm sure sedo was happy with their commission. I was REALLY happy with what I took out of the deal.

999 times out of a 1000 a situation that smells like this would go south...

but I have subsequently reduced my diligence in removing names that I no longer own from my Sedo account.

Last edited:

wussadotcom

Level 6
Reaction score
Seems like SEDO is a good port or end user :)
Can we not park with SEDO to get out domain name accepted there?
All this while I will develop my domain, get it really high in SERP and then put a simple notice text somewhere in the index page " Domain For Sale. Interested? Contact me know!!"
Usually endusers will be interested especially with the additional SEO done.
Also another buyer option that I would gain is a site owner with an already established site and domain but sweating when they see their site ranked on serp was outclassed by a mere one page site so they quickly grabbed my domain to avoid loss in traffic. Lol.. :p

Domainate.com

Selling Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The sale that undoubtedly kept me in domaining ended up being to Kevin Bacon of all people. If any of you have ever seen the charity he's a part of, SixDegrees.org, I sold that name to them. Out of the blue on Sedo in early 2005, an offer for $2,000 came on it. At that time I had only had 1 sale and was still down a bunch in money, making hardly anything in parking. That sale put me up about 250% overall on my money and more importantly gave me the confidence needed to keep things going. If someone told me BEFORE that sale that a couple years later I'd nab a $60,000 sale, I probably would have never laughed so hard in my life, but after that SixDegrees.org sale, I started to believe things like that COULD be possible. And now I have a condo thanks to that $60k sale, a condo that has probably dropped twice that amount in value since I've gotten it, lol. Thank you Kevin Bacon, screw you economy! :p

Domainate.com

Selling Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a condo for 60k?

Down payment. God, I wouldn't have anything to worry about if I actually owned it outright, lol. But noooo no, condos in San Diego ain't that cheap. :p

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Stay classy, San Diego :D

You'll find several stories at my blog, Acro.net - the most recent one about the sale of 360.org

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stay classy, San Diego :D

You'll find several stories at my blog, Acro.net - the most recent one about the sale of 360.org

congrats acro :eek:k:
i was convinced you would sell for a premium when u bought. its a great domain :cool:

Poohnix

Lost @Space
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This year started well... I have one mid 2x,xxx end user sale in escrow right now, and a couple of other promising negotiations going. Last year I hardly sold anything, but I don't really try selling anything... I just sit on the domains, and wait for buyers to contact me. (Usually via whois info, or via contact forms at the domains themselves.)
Only 1 in 50 or so are end users, most are obvious domainers, and when I get a $100 offer for something like an LLL.com I don't even bother. (Especially when I get similar offers on several premium domains, who all just happens to be perfect for the guys "high school project" or something similar, then I'm about to puke.)
But if the initial message is intelligent, seemingly from a reasonable person, I negotiate.
Before doing so, I try to dig up as much as possible on who I might be negotiating with... Not always easy, but usually it's possible to find out at least something.

ohkus

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ParkingOrbit.....that is a nice name......so I have this high school project.....

democrat

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
hmmm, i think finding end users are the fruit of the business

bgmv

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have just completed a few $X,XXX sales. One was for a LLLLL.net and the other for a LLLL.com. I have had quite a few mid $XXX sales via direct contact, just sending out emails - my success rate is about 15-20%.

How would one go about finding contact info for a huge corporation, lets say a Nike or Oakley? Is that when you have to pick up the phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom