Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

**Entrepreneur Magazine runs article about dotMobi ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Entrepreneur Magazine has 2.3 million trendy, sophisticated readers.

Here is the link to the dotMobi article featured in Entrepreneur Magazine....

http://www.entrepreneur.com/magazine/entrepreneur/2008/january/187634.html

Here is the text:
By Melissa Campanelli | Entrepreneur Magazine - January 2008

Scale It Down
Want your website to reach more people? Make it ready to move.

More than 1 billion people worldwide will be accessing the internet from a mobile device at least once a month by 2010, according to IDC Internet Commerce Market Model, version 11.1. A great way to make your website accessible via BlackBerry or cell phone is to build a .mobi version.

"This top-level domain name is the first to distinguish a website based on the protocol it uses vs. the type of company it is," says Charles Steinfield, chairperson of the Department of Telecommunication, Information Studies and Media at Michigan State University.

To get a .mobi name, start with your hosting provider or domain name company. You simply sign up for a .mobi name the way you'd sign up for a .com one. You can also advertise the new name on your materials to let customers know your site works on mobile devices.

Next, you'll have to format your site upfront so that it will render properly on as many mobile devices as possible. The best way to do this is to work with a designer who has been certified to follow the .mobi standards created by MTLD Top Level Domain Ltd. in Dublin, Ireland, the organization behind the .mobi domain name. To find these designers, check out the MTLD website.

Here in the U.S., Network Solutions recently launched a web tool that lets site owners comply with the MTLD standards (prices range from $21.99 to $34.99 per year). It also plans to offer a "do it for me" design service this year to help companies build .mobi sites. Prices will start at less than $300.

The goal of any .mobi site is to offer simple navigation that only requires the use of the up or down key. All information must also be easily read on a small screen and clearly displayed without left or right scrolling. These sites are designed to solve the biggest barriers to mobile internet use--poorly formatted pages, excessive content, slow access and long load times--which lead to costly mobile bills and difficult logins and navigation. As surfing from your BlackBerry gets easier, expect more people to jump on the mobile internet bandwagon.

Domain Summit 2024

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Second, she doesn't own the .com or .mobi version of her namesake...who cares?

I state the facts, that makes me bitter?

Maybe it's you who likes to sugar-coat things. ;)

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Aren't many domainers on this forum entrepreneurs?

Hmm...

LIVE in 2007:

enrtesm.jpg

www.En-Route.mobi

Directions, weather, road conditions, and more all in one place

Coming in 2008:

ahhh.jpg

www.ahhh.mobi

INFIELDSM.jpg

www.infield.mobi

ifutebolb.jpg

www.iFutbol.mobi

sanmarco2.jpg

www.SanMarco.mobi

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc, who does your logos? Have you got a logo-gimp locked away in your basement?

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hmm....an entrepreneur who preaches domains, yet does not own her own full name .com?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well... how many domainers do have their name btw ? ;)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And me :) In .com of course ;)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also have .net .org .info
.biz .mobi .etc no thanks :lol:

So how many registered mobi so far - I can't find statistics :rolleyes:

simon johnson

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RUN...FAST... the sky is falling!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://www.rcrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080107/SUB/977623548/1012/allnews

Link to article in a wireless industry magazine against .mobi, interested to here your thoughts on this.
It appears Colin is one of the critics he mentions so why would he not trash .mobi?

Plus, Colin has his facts and figures so skewed and one sided that it is pathetic.

There is no "truth" in journalism anymore thanks to the internet. He makes blanket statements without support or any documentation whatsoever.

And, not surprising, he does not respond to emails or posts comment regarding his commentary.

Yes, I am pro-mobi. I am also pro-com, net, responsible gun and pet owners, healthcare for all, and more. But I am quickly finding myself to becoming more and more anti-mobi critic who criticize without any concrete substance to their points or critiques other than simply for the pleasure of expressing their own opinions, stroking themselves, and to get readers.

Controversy is free publicity. And in the domain world, there a few things controversial or highly talked about and TM violations, disaster regs, registrar and ICANN responsibility, and .mobi are the hot topics.

And it seems that the only ones talking about .mobi are domainers.

If Colin is a member of this forum, then publish the email and comments I sent you.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://www.rcrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080107/SUB/977623548/1012/allnews

Link to article in a wireless industry magazine against .mobi, interested to here your thoughts on this.

But critics point to mTLD’s lack of traction among established Internet players, pointing to the growing popularity of using the letter M to signify mobile URLs. Adding a single letter — and dropping the traditional “www” — is easier for users to remember and enter on a keypad, of course. And, as evidenced by Nielsen’s two most popular mobile sites, the format may be in the process of becoming the new mobile standard.

Based on two sites?????? The last two cars that went by my window were green....I guess all new cars are going to be green then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom