Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

other Epik Review / My Broken Promise (For Now)

This is a discussion about another domain name register/company not listed.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I promised a salesperson and @robmonster that I'd eventually transfer from Uniregistry and NameBright, after winning DropCatch auctions, over to Epik because of not only their low prices, but their willingness to support free speech and welcome GAB after much controversy (with the latter being the deciding factor as I am a huge proponent of the U.S. Constitution).

However, I can't seem to keep that promise. The DNS with Epik is much slower than with Dynadot.

While there are services such as DNS Made Easy and Route 53 that I could use, it's much harder and time-consuming to set up a domain. Epik would win me over, even if they charged more per domain that enrolled in a "premium" DNS service (which could proudly be displayed on the homepage as an upsell and feature over all others if a corporate contract is entered), if they could use either of these two with API calls to make DNS changes over what is used now.

It would be nice to have an all-in-one registrar that had much quicker DNS lookups, by using a 3rd party, to use on any one domain within the registrar's control panel as opposed to going back and forth for modifications of records.

So if you're out there, Rob, get this done and all (which isn't much anymore, but all domains with a website would definitely enroll in a premium DNS) my business is yours! I'm sure if you explained the benefits of using your premium DNS service in the mobile era, which could save consumers money with a corporate contract over opening an individual account at DNS Made Easy or Amazon AWS, more may follow.

Cloudflare integration may be something to look into as well, although it doesn't interest me, it might be to a lot others.

For now, I have to stick with Dynadot as that DNS lookup at Epik is a killer (even 5ms makes a difference). :(

Thanks for listening. :)

Domain summit 2024

robmonster

Epik.com CEO
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I looked into this one.

We definitely don't see what you are seeking -- our DNS is blazingly fast.

See this comparison:

1593716633271.png

1593716647504.png

Looks like lights-out in favor of Epik.

We actually run our own CDN with 29 POPs:

North America:

• • Chicago, United States
  • • Denver, United States
  • • Dallas, United States
  • • Los Angeles, United States
  • • Miami, United States
  • • Minnesota, United States
  • • New York, United States
  • • Seattle, United States

South America:

• • Sao Paulo, Brasil

Europe:

• • Amsterdam, Netherlands
  • • Bratislava, Slovakia
  • • Frankfurt, Germany
  • • London, United Kingdom
  • • Madrid, Spain
  • • Milan, Italy

• • Moscow, Russia
  • • Oslo, Norway
  • • Paris, France
  • • Prague, Czech Republic
  • • Stockholm, Sweden
  • • Vienna, Austria
  • • Warsaw, Poland
  • • Zurich, Switzerland

Africa:

• • Johannesburg, South Africa

Asia:

• • Hong Kong
  • • Seoul, South Korea
  • • Taipei, Taiwan
  • • Tokyo, Japan

Feel free to get in touch if you want to take a serious look - - sincere feedback from real people is always welcome.

Regards,
Rob

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Appreciate you running the tests. The waterfall for DNS (response time) was significantly higher on Epik than hosted entries on Dynadot for me. However, I will look into this again as it might've been one isolated incident.

robmonster

Epik.com CEO
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

And @amplify is now coming to Epik. All's well that ends well. We love nothing more than having demanding sophisticated clients that keep the bar high.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

And @amplify is now coming to Epik. All's well that ends well. We love nothing more than having demanding sophisticated clients that keep the bar high.
Yes. I'll be consolidating at Epik hereon out.

I'll be completely moving from Uniregistry, as I should have when they pulled my near at-cost registration fee of $8.67 to a now $10.99 for 1) promoting whenever I could [the main reason why they offered it] and 2) not maintaining 1000 domains [the given reason why they pulled it, even though I should've been grandfathered under the 1st clause with the unofficial written contract of purchasing 100 more domains under them to get there]. Given that it's now GoDaddy and I seem to forget to move before auto-renew kicks in, this seems like a no brainer so I don't keep flushing $2-3 down the toilet because of carelessness.

Once I can move from NameBright after I win an auction. I will.

Lastly, all hand-regs will go through Epik too.

The team at Epik seems very responsive to anything, with the CEO even pushing some tests through, taking however many countless billing hours to prove me wrong about the DNS. Honestly, I couldn't tell you what happened with my analysis there. However, the Tokyo CDN caught my eye and fingers crossed, to a local website hosted in Japan, that fueling it with a responsive DNS and a local CDN to back it up can increase the response time by a couple of milliseconds to give me an edge in this mobile-world.

robmonster

Epik.com CEO
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks
Yes. I'll be consolidating at Epik hereon out.

I'll be completely moving from Uniregistry, as I should have when they pulled my near at-cost registration fee of $8.67 to a now $10.99 for 1) promoting whenever I could [the main reason why they offered it] and 2) not maintaining 1000 domains [the given reason why they pulled it, even though I should've been grandfathered under the 1st clause with the unofficial written contract of purchasing 100 more domains under them to get there]. Given that it's now GoDaddy and I seem to forget to move before auto-renew kicks in, this seems like a no brainer so I don't keep flushing $2-3 down the toilet because of carelessness.

Once I can move from NameBright after I win an auction. I will.

Lastly, all hand-regs will go through Epik too.

The team at Epik seems very responsive to anything, with the CEO even pushing some tests through, taking however many countless billing hours to prove me wrong about the DNS. Honestly, I couldn't tell you what happened with my analysis there. However, the Tokyo CDN caught my eye and fingers crossed, to a local website hosted in Japan, that fueling it with a responsive DNS and a local CDN to back it up can increase the response time by a couple of milliseconds to give me an edge in this mobile-world.

Thanks and welcome.

Our general approach for the domain community is to price domains at or below cost, and to monetize through sales, leasing and escrow plus securing retail customers.

As for the CDN infrastructure, our benchmark is cloudflare.

zangief

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have been away from domains and dnforum for a long time , until someone emailed me for one of my dropping domains.We agreed and a sale , they preffered to use epik.com.
Epik.com's service and support is one of the best I have ever seen in my lifetime.Wanted to tell this.
I could not catch their speed.Greetings from Turkey.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been away from domains and dnforum for a long time , until someone emailed me for one of my dropping domains.We agreed and a sale , they preffered to use epik.com.
Epik.com's service and support is one of the best I have ever seen in my lifetime.Wanted to tell this.
I could not catch their speed.Greetings from Turkey.
Yes they have great support.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I looked into this one.

We definitely don't see what you are seeking -- our DNS is blazingly fast.

See this comparison:

View attachment 4302

View attachment 4303

Looks like lights-out in favor of Epik.

We actually run our own CDN with 29 POPs:

North America:

• • Chicago, United States
  • • Denver, United States
  • • Dallas, United States
  • • Los Angeles, United States
  • • Miami, United States
  • • Minnesota, United States
  • • New York, United States
  • • Seattle, United States

South America:

• • Sao Paulo, Brasil

Europe:

• • Amsterdam, Netherlands
  • • Bratislava, Slovakia
  • • Frankfurt, Germany
  • • London, United Kingdom
  • • Madrid, Spain
  • • Milan, Italy

• • Moscow, Russia
  • • Oslo, Norway
  • • Paris, France
  • • Prague, Czech Republic
  • • Stockholm, Sweden
  • • Vienna, Austria
  • • Warsaw, Poland
  • • Zurich, Switzerland

Africa:

• • Johannesburg, South Africa

Asia:

• • Hong Kong
  • • Seoul, South Korea
  • • Taipei, Taiwan
  • • Tokyo, Japan

Feel free to get in touch if you want to take a serious look - - sincere feedback from real people is always welcome.

Regards,
Rob

With the data breach how are DNS speeds currently?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With the data breach how are DNS speeds currently?
I wouldn't see how they would be affected, but there could be a lot more DDoS attacks that could slow it down just because it's in the spotlight. But, I highly doubt your site will be taken offline for a good period of time as the attackers would intend. Would be interesting to have a thorough update like Rob provided before though to see if anything changed, for better or worse. I haven't noticed anything though.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't see how they would be affected, but there could be a lot more DDoS attacks that could slow it down just because it's in the spotlight. But, I highly doubt your site will be taken offline for a good period of time as the attackers would intend. Would be interesting to have a thorough update like Rob provided before though to see if anything changed, for better or worse. I haven't noticed anything though.
For mission critical sites I use Managed DNS anyway.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators