• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

.EU registrations, be very careful of your credit/debit cards

  • Thread starter Thread starter mole
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mole

Guest
I recently attempted to register some names for the EU landrush with an accredited EU registrar. It was quite a lot of names (about ten over), and the transaction didn't go through. I thought maybe there was something wrong with my card, and thought nothing of it except to email them and ask whether there was something wrong with their system.

My bank called me up 5 mins later on my mobile, asking me if I had authorized over USD$2,000 recently. I said no, they said a merchant was trying to charge my card that amount. They offered to suspend my card to prevent the merchant from taking my money until I could get to the root of this.

I checked my bank account online and was surprised to see the same registrar had already charged my card USD$250 for 2 preregs I made with them early last week. Missed that one..

I'm not sure if that was a pre-charge hold-the-money thing, or actually taking money upfront for the pre-regs, but the site made NO MENTION of upfront charges (fine if they did). I have gladly paid upfront for those who did.

This is just a heads up for those new to the landrush game. Be very careful...these things can bust your credit limits (especially if you go wild on the pre-regs) for nothing more than a slim chance in April 2006.
 
Thats what I thought! I mean they pre-charge Your credit card. Have to find places where they don`t pre-charge You
 
stuff said:
Thats what I thought! I mean they pre-charge Your credit card. Have to find places where they don`t pre-charge You

"Pre-charging" your card 5 months before the event is ludicrious. The charge would have long expired months ago.

I can understand if the registrar needs to do this one week or so before the landrush, so that the available money is there.

What happens if they actually charged you and hope you didn't notice and not deliver anything, that's over 100 euro theft per domain.

My point is that registrars should make it clear what the financial obligations are prior to signing up with them. Some make it very clear, some just hide it and hope you don't notice to encourage you to prereg loads of domains with them.

I don't mind paying for the whole amount up front if the registrar makes it clear that is what is needed. This particular registrar didn't, and the checkout payment button reflected only 10 euros per domain for submission fee. I suspect a lot of the 500 registrars of .EU will be up to monkey business to cash out on this.

In my case, it was like over 3,000 euros for 10-20 domains.

Reminds me of the .INFO landrush, except this time there are over 500 monkeys in play this time round.

Just a heads up to domainers new to this landrush shenanigan.
 
I tried to register about 20 .es yesterday at eurodns and even though I have lots of credit left, I was declined 4 times , I hope I dont see charges later.

-=DCG=-
 
DotComGod said:
I tried to register about 20 .es yesterday at eurodns and even though I have lots of credit left, I was declined 4 times

You are a different league, god, the unwashed masses like moi must survive with debit cards funded by measley clerical salaries.
 
DotComGod said:
I tried to register about 20 .es yesterday at eurodns and even though I have lots of credit left, I was declined 4 times , I hope I dont see charges later.

-=DCG=-

I tried to preregister names there about 2 weeks ago and I was declined also.
I see I am not alone :evil:
 
Mole It might help if you actually named the registrar.
 
2 month ago eurodns charged me EUR36 for two .eu preregs...
 
Pre-regging is like naming the baby before knowing the gender. You might end up with a Jamie Lee Curtis.
 
Acroplex said:
Pre-regging is like naming the baby before knowing the gender. You might end up with a Jamie Lee Curtis.

:-P Quote of the Week
 
Yeah I did not know they will charge for it. As I understand the pre-reg is something like drop-catching...
 
I understood that prereg charges beforehand, then returns the money if you don't get the domains.
 
I just checked, You are right, thats great.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom