Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Ever see a Registry do THIS before?!?

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NostraDomainus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have been searching names for .xxx with the Whois of the ICM Registry (http://www.icmregistry.com/whois/), and yeah, I've read about the state of their roll-out thus far - but WOW - have you ever seen a Registry do this before:

For a number of days, a particular word(s) have been Available to hand-reg. with .xxx
The word(s) could be seen as 2 separate words or a compound word, gaining just over 10M and just under 10M Global Monthy Searches on Google Keyword Tool respectively.

So after realizing Yeah - go get this name! ...I come to find it is now:

"This name will be awarded after an auction. Click xxxauctions.pool.com for more information." (FYI... http://xxxauctions.pool.com/ does not even load atm)

I did not do any domaining yesterday, but the name was available all last week, and I am pretty sure right up to Christmas Eve, but as of this morning - the Grinch has Taken Christmas!!

All of a sudden, the name is now Not Available to rego and has been removed from the wild to the profiting of the ICM Registry and Pool!?!

Have you ever seen this maneuver before with a domain extension/registry? ...during a roll-out or otherwise? I haven't :S
How can I find out if this is allowable? Is this within ICANN Policy and/or ICM Registry Policy?
Is there someone I can report this too?
Is this legal?
Or, as per usual, am I just SOL?

Last edited:

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
domains ordered during sunrise or landrush with more than one applicant went to pool's .xxx closed auction site. these domains should have never showed as available.

NostraDomainus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, what made me think this was different was I saw an example like you describe with Surf. xxx, when it showed as Available @ the Registry WHoIs, but not at either of 2 Registrars I tried to reg it at.

Conversely, this name showed it was Available @ the WhoIs AND at an independent Registrar, giving me the impression it was 'wild'. This was as of 2 days ago - now it's Not Available @ the Registry nor elsewhere but pool.com

Just further evidence to the negative experiences others are having when dealing with this roll-out. Degrading the .xxx brand before even giving people a chance to buy-in and build it - cutting off it's nose spite it's face :S IMHO

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to register a domain that will only degrade in value?

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.rip

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised it took this long for "registries" to catch on - put all registrations up for auction. Sure, we saw it with other sunrise registration periods before but was this domain registration attempted after the period?

Clearly the biggest winner is the registry.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another extension will show up, the domainers will jump to the sunrise and early registration, after few years ... poop! Only a few sales make it, but millions will never.

Happy New Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom