Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Expert Advice Needed

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm realizing that we can't pay someone to develop a website, host and forget about it (as we usually do with our domains), a website is like a real estate, from time to time it needs to be reviewed because some parts are often hacked or stop working for multiple reasons (unknown to us, newbies in this field).

Since few days, the search function of 3 diff. sites (hosted on the same server) are no longer working, additionally all new member who joins to one of them, are uanble to login with the received password.
The "Forgot password" link works but the received pass doesn't.

Should we think that someone has suddenly hacked and damaged some features of multiple websites ? A bit unrealistic but we can't know.

I know we can't post external links here but if someone (more skilled than us in the field) would be so kind to give us an advice, PM me and I'll explain what we'd like to know/understand, thanks.

Domain summit 2024

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most hosting companies updated to the new PHP version recently so if you have old PHP script it may need to make changes in order to work with the new version.

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, this might apply to our case.
Just to better understand what asking to our developer, he should review the whole php code of all our websites to adapt it to the new version or is there an easier way to fix this issue ? Because such upgrade has been surely done on our server and this might have caused the problems we're experiencing.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Because such upgrade has been surely done on our server and this might have caused the problems we're experiencing.

What platform are your sites running? It could be that your host upgraded which made whatever your sites are running incompatible with the new configurations.

Last edited:

vital

FF
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As others remarked, php, mysql, and other upgrades may sometime affect your scripts. Thats also one of reasons, why majority of serial developers use frameworks.
Check the upgrade with your host - previous version and the current version. Than check the changelog for php, mysql, whatever, and if your script uses functions (or syntax) which is not supported in the current version, find some substitute and edit the script...

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a Database issue. The PHP upgrade really shouldn't affect your site unless you were using some really old version of PHP which hosting companies phased out years ago. Every issue you named relies on tapping into a Database. If you can, turn error_reporting on in your php.ini file, because I assume it is off in Production and you should be able to pin point the issue.

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We've a Linux server at singlehop.
It's not a dedicated one but I'll open a ticket to get an advice from the administrator, much easier.

Basing on what he'll recommend to do, we'll hire someone who'll take care of the issue.
Thanks again for your useful advices.

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, appreciated but this was a very old thread :)
We're no longer hosting big sites (at the moment) so we've moved our small ones to another company where we've a simple reseller account (with absolutely no issues so far).

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators