Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Expiring Yahoo/DMOZ names worthwhile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi :)

Can anyone, in their experience, tell me if it's worth chasing expiring Yahoo/DMOZ listed domains? Specifically, domains listed in good categories (for example .../Wholesale/Computer Hardware)

Are we talking a few unique visitors per day, hundreds, more?!

Thanks,

Chris :)

Domain summit 2024

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i think it is worth it but keep in mind yahoo seems to be moving away from their directory and using the google results more and more. yes htese domains are worth chasing but the traffic depends entirely on the subject of the website, the keywords and how popular the site was ...

M

mortario

Originally posted by kidkool
i think it is worth it but keep in mind yahoo seems to be moving away from their directory and using the google results more and more.

kidkool .. that is not entirely true :). Yahoo's main stream of revenue are coming from their ads and directories. What you are seeing is Yahoo refining it's searches to compensate lack of results on "multiple keywords" and "sentence" searches.

For example:
A search of "insurance" in Yahoo will give you pure directory result page (plus Overture listings of course). whereas "home owner insurance" will produce mix results. And if you go further as "home owner insurance in Bay area" that forms a sentence, the result page will make up 99% Google search.

Here's how searches perform on Yahoo:
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/ysearch-01.html

Basically .. it will search sites within it's directory first before searching 3rd party database.

A revenue of $299 annually per year per link is enough incentive to keep their directory alive ;)

Beachie
I've been doing this for months now. I have focused heavily in this market and invest money on software/script/research. I haven't got my ROI but it's working toward that direction and will surpass it in a couple months.

Where do you get the revenue?
Traffics - I have registered over 100 names that are in Yahoo.com and ALL of them has traffic. Which is pretty amazing since the domain names just plain sucks .. big time :D .. here's some examples:
greenciceri.com
frapisardi.com
lasvegashomesbuy.com

Slap a generic/template website with affiliate programs on it and it'll generate income for you.

Resell - After playing around with a different programs and it still don't generate enough income, then sell it. You will always get more than $8.00 (your registration fee) for a domain that listed in Yahoo. (Remmember, it'll cost $299 now just to review submission for inclusion plus $299 annuall fee to keep it there).

.. and some more other ways of earning revenue that I still toying around :D

Bottom line is .. if you wondering if there's any value in these domains .. I'll say yes there is.

How do you determine the value? Same criterias as for the "expired domain names" plus below:
1. keyword search and rank
2. industry/category
3. how deep is the category (3 levels, 6 levels???)

Name somewhat is optional here. If you find a domain name with 32 characters long :dead: .. but listed in a good directory and rank at the top .. close your eye (to avoid eye sore :razz: ) and just register the name. Keep in mind you are aiming at traffic here not a cute name :D.

For DMOZ .. I haven't seen any real value yet other than these Search portals use them in one form or another:
All the Web - AltaVista - Google USENET - Google - HotBot - Lycos - Northern Light - Yahoo

Here's a list:
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/.../Open_Directory_Project/Sites_Using_ODP_Data/

Other member might know more on DMOZ .. sorry :)
..and goodluck :)

thinkaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DMoz is also known as the Open Directory Project. This means that their results can be integrated into your own site using perl or PHP scripts. Examples of these kinds of sites are below.

http://www.alabamaseek.com - Targeted to Alabama
http://www.123searching.com/directory - General Directory

The point is, you can have an "instant" directory using their results. There's no updating, adding, or deleting. Dmoz (ODP) categories are managed by volunteer moderators. These are individuals like you and me, but have been approved to manage a particular category they have sign up for.

The benefit? Dmoz results are on hundreds, or even thousands of sites using their results. So, even if someone doesn't use Dmoz to find something, they might use another site, and find the exact same reults that Dmoz would give them.

One more thing. Google.com uses the Dmoz results, too.

http://www.google.com/dirhp

The directory results are also integrated into Google results, at the top. So a quick search for "domain names" will display a related category at the top of Google's reults.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=domain+names

Category: Computers > Internet > Domain Names > For Sale or Auction

Is it worth pursuing? As with any name, you'll need to research it a little bit. Check link popularity and maybe archive.org. If it's a good name, go for it!

If the name already has established traffic, even a few hits a day, it will up the value.

Hope this helps!

thinkaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, your posts are very helpful!! :)

Chris :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators